GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

CPO GS430 Prices - Pointless Bellyaching

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 12:47 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CPO GS430 Prices - Pointless Bellyaching

I'm having a difficult time getting my mind off of GS430 prices, especially related to geography (i.e., MD vs CA and FL). The market for 300s seems much better and somewhat more uniform.

I really need to stop looking around and just enjoy my GS430 (which I am doing), but things keep catching my eye, especially a few deals I've seen others here get on 06 430s with remarkable mileage.

There were two seemingly relatively high priced CPO 06 430s available in my area at the beginning of April. That was all there was to choose from. After I made my deal, I continued to watch the one I didn't buy--mostly hoping that it would sit on the lot as punishment to the dealership for not taking my $36,000 offer. It disappeared from their website near the end of April, I assumed because it must have been sold.

When I happened by their website yesterday, that same car had returned. It's no longer listed as CPO and it has 3000 additional miles on it. I wonder if they pushed it on someone in a spot delivery scam and had to take it back (this dealership had a kind of slimy/stereotypical used car dealer vibe - I'm actually glad I didn't buy from them from that angle).

This is the only 06 GS430 on a Lexus lot in the state - I hope it sits there for 6 months. Look at that list price

Old 06-04-08, 01:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you know what caught my eyes? that extra $100 saving under the fine print at the bottom

most of the time the list price is pretty pointless anyway
Old 06-04-08, 10:32 PM
LexFather

I look at autotrader at least weekly. I've seen 430s in the mid to high 20s but mostly 30s, depending on mileage.

Dealers will be more expensive but I've seen a couple dealers with unbelievable buys.

With gas prices up, I am speculating that will keep GS 450h prices higher
Old 06-05-08, 02:53 AM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to trade my GS300 w/ 35k miles or whatever it had, for $29K, and I got a hell of a deal on my E55.
Old 06-05-08, 07:55 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by rominl
you know what caught my eyes? that extra $100 saving under the fine print at the bottom

most of the time the list price is pretty pointless anyway

Yeah, that $100 is just added insult.

I don't pretend to know how much of the time the list price is meaningless. Remember that there are people willingly pay that price. I'd be curious to know what percentage of the buying public that is. Also, with the Internet, dealers are taking advantage of a newer concept and psychological angle--the "no-haggle price." They're playing a game where there is one (arbitrarily inflated) price in the window and a lower price online. That price sometimes is advertised as a no-haggle price and it's sometimes taken to be one by shoppers. In my recent experience, sales people have uniformly feigned ignorance of the Internet price unless confronted with it.

Like I said, I really didn't like the vibe of this particular dealership, which after visiting several, I found was an absolute aberration. They put on heavy pressure and played "old-school" used car dealer games. I was definitely insulted more than once. The car on that web page had $41,900 on the window sticker. I was asked the age-old question "Is there anything I can do to make you take that car home today?" At first I said "No, I am not buying today, I have another car to go see now." I probably could have gotten out at that point, but I thought about it and said "Actually, there is something you can do, that is give me your rock bottom price right now. I have researched and know what the trade in value is and I'm willing to pay that and a fair profit." They did the old "Let me talked this through with the sales manager" bit. After what felt like about 15 minutes, she returned with an elaborate write up that lead to their "rock bottom" price. In large green marker, circled and underlined for effect, "TODAY ONLY!" they put the Internet price. I had told the salesperson that I had seen the Internet price, but she must have forgotten and/or not passed that on to the "Sales Manager." That was insulting, but their hope (not listening to me and comprehending the information I had) was that I would see the decrease from the sticker price and feel that I had made a great deal.

I do know that in my case, I did some research, walked in with a first offer of $34,000 and left off after weeks of back and forth with my limit at $36,000 - The dealership was willing to let me walk away still trying to get $37,900 from me for that car. I have to believe that they had some reason to think that someone else would be willing to pay that or more.

After going through what I did, I find it difficult to see why another Lexus dealer with the same car but with a mind blowing 9K miles would feel moved to sell for $37,500. Because of the mileage, the KBB retail (which seems close to what dealers use for initial price setting) is $45,600.
Old 06-05-08, 07:59 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Godfather
I was able to trade my GS300 w/ 35k miles or whatever it had, for $29K, and I got a hell of a deal on my E55.
Good for you. It sounds like you got a little more than average on the trade to sweeten your deal.
Old 06-05-08, 08:06 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
With gas prices up, I am speculating that will keep GS 450h prices higher
I only saw one in my travels and it was definitely high.

But again, with these "values." If the car was a trade-in, they probably took the previous owner to the cleaners.

I sold my last car to Carmax, and they gave me KBB trade in to the dollar.
Old 06-05-08, 08:12 AM
IS@YK
Rookie

dayumm wht cars.. hot..
Old 06-06-08, 11:17 AM
Nashbar50
Driver School Candidate

The car i just purchased from Lexus of Clear Lake (Houston, TX) is almost identical to the car you posted. I paid $33,995 w/ 42k miles and the only difference in the car is mine has Blue onyx color , CPO, ML, and had the park assist and pre collision radar system.

You were right on the money with your offer that is for sure. I think i just got lucky, right time, right place.

One thing i did notice at the above mentioned dealer, a lot of their cars were priced lower on the lot than what was online. Mostly because they were there for more than 30 or 60 days.

In most cases i do agree with your point about the salesmen not knowing the internet pricing. I had the same thing happen to me when i bought an 07 honda accord. the Salesmen wasn't budging on the sticker price and then i gave him the ad and it was 4 grand less and thats what we paid.
Old 06-07-08, 08:15 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nashbar50
The car i just purchased from Lexus of Clear Lake (Houston, TX) is almost identical to the car you posted. I paid $33,995 w/ 42k miles and the only difference in the car is mine has Blue onyx color , CPO, ML, and had the park assist and pre collision radar system.

You were right on the money with your offer that is for sure. I think i just got lucky, right time, right place.

One thing i did notice at the above mentioned dealer, a lot of their cars were priced lower on the lot than what was online. Mostly because they were there for more than 30 or 60 days.

In most cases i do agree with your point about the salesmen not knowing the internet pricing. I had the same thing happen to me when i bought an 07 honda accord. the Salesmen wasn't budging on the sticker price and then i gave him the ad and it was 4 grand less and thats what we paid.

I think you got a good deal Great car, congrats!

Curious on some things...did your car have a window sticker and what was its Internet price? How much "work" did you have to do? And what point in the month was it (i.e., beginning, middle, end)?

That's really interesting that you were seeing window stickers lower than internet. I didn't see that a single time--it's not like I went to 50 dealerships though. Were those the big "Special Price" stickers or the dealer sheet window stickers on the back passenger side window. I can definitely see them getting desperate and slapping big yellow "Today's Special" signs on cars they really want gone.

With the car at the top of this post, I did sense some amount of what seemed to be strong desire to move the car but there was also absolute clinging to the higher price. That won out.

As far a regional differences, at least anecdotally, Houston wouldn't appear to be low. I linked to a random Texas dealership from the Lexus site, and it just happed to be in Houston.

$40,900 and $41,900 - I'd love to be able to see the negotiation that could move those cars at $34,000. I know there's a strong belief among more savvy buyers that the advertised price don't mean anything, but they don't come from thin air; they are derived from averages. That says they aren't meaningless to the dealership. They start off full of hope.

Old 06-07-08, 03:59 PM
Nashbar50
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drpepper
I think you got a good deal Great car, congrats!

Curious on some things...did your car have a window sticker and what was its Internet price? How much "work" did you have to do? And what point in the month was it (i.e., beginning, middle, end)?

That's really interesting that you were seeing window stickers lower than internet. I didn't see that a single time--it's not like I went to 50 dealerships though. Were those the big "Special Price" stickers or the dealer sheet window stickers on the back passenger side window. I can definitely see them getting desperate and slapping big yellow "Today's Special" signs on cars they really want gone.

With the car at the top of this post, I did sense some amount of what seemed to be strong desire to move the car but there was also absolute clinging to the higher price. That won out.

As far a regional differences, at least anecdotally, Houston wouldn't appear to be low. I linked to a random Texas dealership from the Lexus site, and it just happed to be in Houston.

$40,900 and $41,900 - I'd love to be able to see the negotiation that could move those cars at $34,000. I know there's a strong belief among more savvy buyers that the advertised price don't mean anything, but they don't come from thin air; they are derived from averages. That says they aren't meaningless to the dealership. They start off full of hope.

It had a window sticker and when it was first put on the lot it was priced at 42,900. The internet price and "REDUCED" RED TAG price was 35,900. At this point, the car had been on the lot for at least 45 days. We purchased the car on 5/17, the car had been on the lot for over 60 days and they were eager to move it to bring in new inventory. The salesman had an inventory sheet that had the car reduced further to the price we paid which was below the RED TAG price. We didn't feel the need to negotiate the price any further since it was a steal in our opinion and there were 2 other people waiting to test drive. The bottom line, in my opinion, the longer the car is on the lot the dealer will move more on the price.