GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Just ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S Poll Positions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-08, 08:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Just ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S Poll Positions

Picked up the GS earlier this evening and just ordered the RE960s from Tire Rack..
Tough deciding between the RE960 and the Yoko Advan S4.
I had a set of RE960s before and liked them so I went with them.
The Dunlop Run Flats should be off Weds.For Sale on Craigslist Thurs.
I'll report of any ride comfort difference,if any.
Old 06-14-08, 09:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Changed from a Ultra High Performance All-Season tire to what I want which is a better ride and noise comfort of a Grand Touring All Season tire and went with Tire Rack's 2nd place finisher the Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity Technology.The tire was 2nd with TR's comsumer survey too.
I would have went with the #1 in the test the Michelin Primacy MXV4 but the tire isn't available in a 225/50-17.
Old 06-14-08, 12:49 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay Joeb...new ride new tires...zaino on...where's the pics...lol. I hope you are enjoying your new ride. Probably out on the road having some fun testing the tires.
Old 06-14-08, 01:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BKE420
Okay Joeb...new ride new tires...zaino on...where's the pics...lol. I hope you are enjoying your new ride. Probably out on the road having some fun testing the tires.

No new tires yet.
Today I spent 4 hours in the extreme heat cleaning and Zaino'ing every inch of the car including door jams,under trunk lid and hood.
Did every inch of the interior to with conditioner and Protectant 303 on the vinyl.Underhood covers too.
Yeah,OCD for me with my car.
Thank God,the wife's RX is a lease.Car washes for that vehicle.
I'll get some pics up soon.
Old 06-16-08, 06:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Joeb, we are not going to talk to you anymore until you post some pics ok
Old 06-16-08, 06:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
I just bought a small digital Casio Exilim EX-S10A camera and I don't know how to use it yet.
Old 06-17-08, 03:22 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I don't care about pics if the car is stock..........but I wanted to ask why you bought new tires for the stock wheels?
Just curious. Did you already say and I didn't read the posts?

PS
Okay, went back to read your posts more. Yeah, the runflats....I heard they are hard as heck. You did right. But you probably should have asked the dealer for a change when you bought the car.
Old 06-17-08, 03:26 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by reggiek
I don't care about pics if the car is stock..........but I wanted to ask why you bought new tires for the stock wheels?
Just curious. Did you already say and I didn't read the posts?
I want a softer ride.Tires are going on Thurs.
I went through the mod thing with my IS.
I'm keeping this GS stock.

Just saw you edit on the dealer.
The dealer doesn't have any 2wd GS vehicles for take offs and I want to choose my own tire through Tire Rack testing and TR comsumer opinions.
Old 10-22-08, 10:24 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joeb, any updates on how you like Turanza w/Serenity tires? How do they handle our Jersey potholes? How about driving in the rain? Road noise?
Old 10-23-08, 09:12 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read on CL about some people not liking the run flats (ride not soft enough). I personally don't really have a problem with them. Coming from a slammed TL on H&R race springs & Tokico blue shocks, my GS feels very soft, yet a little firm. It's not bad IMHO. Maybe give me a couple of weeks more of driving, and I'll spin a different story. But I don't see/feel the problem you guys have with run flats???
Old 10-23-08, 10:56 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
I've read on CL about some people not liking the run flats (ride not soft enough). I personally don't really have a problem with them. Coming from a slammed TL on H&R race springs & Tokico blue shocks, my GS feels very soft, yet a little firm. It's not bad IMHO. Maybe give me a couple of weeks more of driving, and I'll spin a different story. But I don't see/feel the problem you guys have with run flats???
Hit some potholes and you'll see the difference. I thought I would lose my teeth fillings on the Dunlop run-flats. Got rid of them after a couple of weeks of driving. Got ContiExtremeContact and it was like I bought a new car again.
Old 10-24-08, 04:40 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had bridgestone potenza pole 960 RE for 1 month and they were off the car as fast as they came on. Terrible tires. Made the steering feel numb. The car would vibrate in winter on highways. Seat would shake at times. had it road forced many times and they were junk. The flat spotting was also horrible. I bought Michelins and they win hands down. Never would get bridgestones again. Had bridegestone tires on the SC 430, Infiniti FX, Lexus RX300 and were terrible tires.
Old 10-24-08, 04:43 PM
Mr_eggroll
Driver School Candidate

Post pics of the car detail! haha man I need to take a day off work to clean my baby
Old 10-24-08, 06:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

they are both solid tires, but I like the yokos more. They are both pretty exspensive.
Old 10-25-08, 01:38 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got Potenza 960A/S Pole Position yesterday Not too much driving yet, but handled very good in rain today. Will have a better idea after more miles, but so far ride feels much better in comparison to stiff run-flats. Funny how I still feel the road very well, but at the same time ride is so much softer. Exactly how luxury ride supposed to feel My props go out to local Bridgestone shop (off Rt9, a few blocks south from Ray Catena). They matched to the penny tire-rack price, plus I got another $50 off for opening their CC and another $50 off in gasoline card. Can't beat that for #1 rated Tire-rack tire in ultra-high performance all-season category (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS).

BTW, to my surprise, service manager at RC also recommended Bridgestone over Michelin they carry in stock. Will see how they going to handle in the snow; so far I heard a lot of positive feedback about these (Bridgestone store manager has it on his IS250AWD).

Last edited by twister; 10-25-08 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Just ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S Poll Positions