GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 02:24 AM
tomd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter driving

I realize that the GS350 AWD is not an SUV, but we need to know about it's snow capabilities before we trade the wife's ML350 for the Lexus.
Specifically, I was wondering how owners found their cars handled in 1-6 inches of snow. We live on a hill and a few times in the past our old front drive Lexus ES couldn't make it home.
Any, and all advice, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-14-08, 06:08 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Hey... where about in MA are you?.... I havent had the chance to drive my GS350 awd in the snow yet, but I have driven the GS300AWD in all the snow. and it Handles nicely.. Not bad for a AWD car thats not an SUV.
Old 06-14-08, 11:07 AM
tomd
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
Hey... where about in MA are you?.... I havent had the chance to drive my GS350 awd in the snow yet, but I have driven the GS300AWD in all the snow. and it Handles nicely.. Not bad for a AWD car thats not an SUV.
Westfield. about 10 miles west of Springfield

good to hear about the AWD in the snow! And, btw, Starfire Pearl/Cashmere is the combo my wife wants. Looks nice!
Old 06-14-08, 11:57 AM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tomd
I realize that the GS350 AWD is not an SUV, but we need to know about it's snow capabilities before we trade the wife's ML350 for the Lexus.
Specifically, I was wondering how owners found their cars handled in 1-6 inches of snow. We live on a hill and a few times in the past our old front drive Lexus ES couldn't make it home.
It handles very well. I feel way more confident now in GS then SUV with AWD because of center of gravity. Espetially when you talking about uhill/downhill driving. The only drawback is the clearance which is not an issue for 1-6 inch of snow. Did I mention - snow tires are still a must?
Old 06-14-08, 12:27 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Hey tomd...I live here in WA St. and have driven my AWD in snow(only a couple of inches.) I was very impressed with the handling and stopping capabilities. I've own 3 SUV's previously (lame S-10 Blazer, and (2) 4Runners, and will say I felt alot comfortable/confident in my AWD than any of the SUV's(Plus what Vlad said about center of gravity). I honestly don't think you'll have any regrets purchasing a new AWD. And unlike the FWD ES....I think you'll make it home:-) in your GS. Keep us posted after you pick it up.
Old 06-14-08, 04:04 PM
tomd
Rookie

Originally Posted by vladbph
It handles very well. I feel way more confident now in GS then SUV with AWD because of center of gravity. Espetially when you talking about uhill/downhill driving. The only drawback is the clearance which is not an issue for 1-6 inch of snow. Did I mention - snow tires are still a must?
Thanks for the advice! Snow tires a must, eh? I was afraid of that. Not a deal breaker, but regrettable.
Old 06-14-08, 04:17 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AS you can see by my signature of the cars I currently own. I have a 2006 ML350 which is probably the best SUV we have ever owned. It performs a whole lot better than my Lexus GS350 in deep snow and brakes much faster in snow than the GS and turns in the snow without much sliding like the GS. Overall, the GS will not substitute completely for the ML350 and you might feel that the car is a bit differently in the snow but still very predictable and much superior driving dynamics in the snow that front wheel drive sedans. The GS can make it up my 30 degree driveway which is steep in about 6-8 inch of snow with no problem. Make sure your all season tires are of best quality. I have 18 inch optional wheels with Michelin tires. Snow tires are not needed at ALL for the AWD. Michelins have best all season tires for the car. Overall, the ML350 defies the law of high center of gravity and I drive more faster with confident in the Ml350 than my GS AWD. We have had 3-4 terrible winter storms in michigan with 14-20 inches of snow, and the ML drives over the snow and ice as if its only 3-4 inches of snow.
Old 06-14-08, 11:55 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice! Snow tires a must, eh? I was afraid of that. Not a deal breaker, but regrettable.
Well, you should understand - doesnt matter your car is 2wd or... 8wd if tires dont have grip on slippery serface - it is a cow on ice.

Last edited by vladbph; 06-15-08 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-15-08, 02:54 AM
tomd
Rookie

Originally Posted by vladbph
Well, you should understand - doesnt matter your car is 2wd or... 8wd if tires dont have grip on slippery serface - it is a cow on ice.
This is true! I was just trying to avoid reducing the enjoyment of the GS350's dry winter road handling for the 4 months it would have snow tires. We get about 4-8 plowable snow storms per season.
Old 06-15-08, 02:57 AM
tomd
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rexus300
AS you can see by my signature of the cars I currently own. I have a 2006 ML350 which is probably the best SUV we have ever owned. It performs a whole lot better than my Lexus GS350 in deep snow and brakes much faster in snow than the GS and turns in the snow without much sliding like the GS. Overall, the GS will not substitute completely for the ML350 and you might feel that the car is a bit differently in the snow but still very predictable and much superior driving dynamics in the snow that front wheel drive sedans. The GS can make it up my 30 degree driveway which is steep in about 6-8 inch of snow with no problem. Make sure your all season tires are of best quality. I have 18 inch optional wheels with Michelin tires. Snow tires are not needed at ALL for the AWD. Michelins have best all season tires for the car. Overall, the ML350 defies the law of high center of gravity and I drive more faster with confident in the Ml350 than my GS AWD. We have had 3-4 terrible winter storms in michigan with 14-20 inches of snow, and the ML drives over the snow and ice as if its only 3-4 inches of snow.
Good to hear that you like your ML350! We also enjoy ours, and it has never let us down. Wife is just tired of SUV's (4 Lexus RX3x0 and the ML since 2000). From your post it appears that we could trade the ML for the GS, and just use our Pilot for the days of very deep snow. Thanks!

Last edited by tomd; 06-15-08 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-15-08, 02:01 PM
HalfSleep
Rookie

During Ontario's wonderful snow this winter, my 2008 AWD with 17" Michelin Pilot Alpin winters performed extremely well (albit, not comparing to high clearance SUVs like the ML). I was impressed by the traction and handling in both 6" powder and 4-6" packed snow. No comparison to front-wheel drive ES350, and I felt it was marginally better than E350 4matic and 535xi.
Old 06-16-08, 05:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

TomD, I disagree with the poster that siad snow tire is a must. I got by last winter in MA with oem tires, we had it easy last winter though. My last car was a GX470, that truck was amazing in the snow and I never had snow tires, I didnt expect the GS to be anything close the GX in snow performance and I was right. The limitation on the GS is the tires and ground clearnace. It can handle about 6-8 inches of snow at most. Watch out for the oem tires, they dont stop or turn too well in the snow. I plan to change them out next year to a good all season tires like a Goodyear F1 all season or something that will handle the New England winter.
Old 06-16-08, 07:19 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
TomD, I disagree with the poster that siad snow tire is a must. I got by last winter in MA with oem tires, we had it easy last winter though. My last car was a GX470, that truck was amazing in the snow and I never had snow tires, I didnt expect the GS to be anything close the GX in snow performance and I was right. The limitation on the GS is the tires and ground clearnace. It can handle about 6-8 inches of snow at most. Watch out for the oem tires, they dont stop or turn too well in the snow. I plan to change them out next year to a good all season tires like a Goodyear F1 all season or something that will handle the New England winter.
May be for some it is overkill, but question was about up/down hill winter driving which is the case for me too. You want piece of mind, just get winter tires. I saw big 4wd trucks with aggressive profile tires "dancing" on the hill (what is high center of gravity?), when I was just driving like there is no snow at all...

Last edited by vladbph; 06-16-08 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-17-08, 05:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If I live in BC, I would get snow tires too
Old 06-17-08, 08:07 PM
HalfSleep
Rookie

I'm with you ... I'm in ONT and I would get winter tires (note i did say winter tires vs snow tires) ... the added traction is worth it IMHO :-)

Last edited by HalfSleep; 06-17-08 at 10:09 PM.