GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Radio vs navigation voice guidance

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 05:09 PM
HouTexGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio vs navigation voice guidance

I am the proud owner of a 2008 GS350. I've only had it for three days, and so far other than forgetting that I no longer have a key to twist, I am loving this car!

I drive a LOT for work and a navigation system is an absolute must for me. We also own a Nissan Pathfinder and I'm finding one thing that Nissan's navigation system does, that for the life of me, either I can't figure out in the Lexus system, or it doesn't exist.

My question is: Is there any way to set the audio system to automatically lower in volume when the navigation system issues voice guidance? I have looked everywhere in the manuals and I can't find any instructions.

I just find it hard to believe that Nissan would offer it, and Lexus wouldn't. Please tell me it's something that I'm missing and that this can be done!
Old 06-14-08, 05:46 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it already does that ? I had to turn off my volume for the nav. because it kept on cutting off my music and it was getting annoying.... Anyways, do you have a "quick guide " manual that came with all the stuff in the owners manual ? If you do, go to page 20 in the quick guide it has some information that might help... Hope that helps out...
Old 06-14-08, 05:52 PM
HouTexGS
Driver School Candidate

I've read that, and the information in the big manual several times, and I don't see anything addressing it. I've also looked under the audio info. I'm not saying it's not there; it wouldn't be the first time something has been right under my nose and I didn't see it.

All I've found remotely close, is the information on the "voice guidance in all modes", but basically it says that if you have the radio on, you won't hear the voice guidance at all.

My salesman told me it lowered the volume automatically, so I'm sure it does, I just can't figure out how to do it.

It's driving me nuts.

ETA: To clarify, what yours was doing, is exactly what I need mine to do!
Old 06-14-08, 06:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it lowers the volume? if so then it's doing a **** poor job

i always think that it simply take out the original sound audio from the left speaker and replace that with the guidance. at least that seems to be the case in my car

to me, i put the voice guidance in volume 6 i think and it sounds "better"
Old 06-14-08, 06:05 PM
HouTexGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
it lowers the volume? if so then it's doing a **** poor job

i always think that it simply take out the original sound audio from the left speaker and replace that with the guidance. at least that seems to be the case in my car

to me, i put the voice guidance in volume 6 i think and it sounds "better"
That could be what the Nissan does. All I know, is the radio gets softer and the voice guidance gets more prominent. Whether the radio is lowering in volume, or it takes it out of one speaker, I need it.

I'm not the most tech-savvy person. Obviously.
Old 06-14-08, 09:04 PM
rwdds
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

How can you even listen to the droning of the voice guidance? I turned mine off in my old G35 and keep it off in the Lexus. Otherwise, try lowering the guidance volume so that it is less obtrusive during radio listening. That may be a repeat, sorry.
Old 06-14-08, 09:26 PM
HouTexGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rwdds
How can you even listen to the droning of the voice guidance? I turned mine off in my old G35 and keep it off in the Lexus. Otherwise, try lowering the guidance volume so that it is less obtrusive during radio listening. That may be a repeat, sorry.
Trust me, I'd rather be listening to something else, but in my job, I have to go from address to address, sometimes involving four cities, and four hours at a time on the road. I'd rather listen to the voice, than whip out a key map and plot out addresses.

It's not the voice guidance I want to drown out; I want to be able to listen to the radio and when a driving prompt is issued, I want to be able to hear it, then the radio go back to its normal volume. That's what our Nissan is capable of doing. We can also turn it off.

I guess I'm just a little shocked that Nissan offers this in their Nav system, and Lexus doesn't... or at least it seems that it doesn't.
Old 06-14-08, 10:48 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Read pages 87 & 88 in the Nav system owner's manual and it will tell you how to adjust the volume and Adaptive Volume Control.
Old 06-16-08, 06:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I though it is supposed to lower the volume of the driver side speakers so you can hear the nav. I notice that if you have the music on full blast, its hard to hear the nav even if its on the highest volume setting.
Old 06-17-08, 09:12 AM
HouTexGS
Driver School Candidate

I finally figured it out, but like OP mentioned, it really didn't make that much of a difference. You have to turn off voice guidance in all modes, and then it slightly lowers the volume on the front speakers. I can't tell if it's both, or just the driver's side.

Really you can't even tell they're lowered until she finishes speaking, and then you can hear the volume increase a little. That probably doesn't make much sense.

Oh well... I love my car and if this is the only downside, I'll live with it!
Old 06-17-08, 05:59 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get familiar with that map/voice button. you can use it to repeat the last command. comes in handy
Old 06-17-08, 09:31 PM
sf7307
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ecount00
get familiar with that map/voice button. you can use it to repeat the last command. comes in handy

Do you need to do anything to get it to repeat, or just hit the map/voice button after a command is said?

I like voice guidance when I don't know where I'm going (like after we were detoured on the way home from LA on Sunday night, with no "instructions" as to how to get to the freeway using the detour) and I also wish it would turn down the radio (the way the speakerphone does). However, I find that if I put the screen on map/text mode, it is pretty darn clear about what to do next, even including little arrows telling you which way to turn. That's my standard "view" when I really need the navigation to get somewhere.
Old 06-17-08, 11:27 PM
gs350_07
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

can't you just increase the volume of the voice guidance? personally i think that voice is kind of annoying... so i just leave it low... but if you want to be able to hear it and don't want to decrease your radio, just increase the voice guidance... just my two cents
Old 06-18-08, 10:50 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sf7307
Do you need to do anything to get it to repeat, or just hit the map/voice button after a command is said?

I like voice guidance when I don't know where I'm going (like after we were detoured on the way home from LA on Sunday night, with no "instructions" as to how to get to the freeway using the detour) and I also wish it would turn down the radio (the way the speakerphone does). However, I find that if I put the screen on map/text mode, it is pretty darn clear about what to do next, even including little arrows telling you which way to turn. That's my standard "view" when I really need the navigation to get somewhere.

just hit it again after a comand is said and it will repeat it.
Old 06-19-08, 10:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the voice level on the nav should be auto adjusted as we turn the volume on the radio up or down.