GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What is this GS 300 Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 01:08 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Personnally, I would rather have a higher mielage GS350 than a low mileage GS300.
I would agree with that sentiment, but I think they a mutually exclusive in terms of price ranges. I realize that the OP might not have a tight range, but I think that's true when we're talking about a $30K or even $33K price.

I know there are people here who seem to have a knack for finding/making really great deals, but the typical range on AWD GS350s seems to be from around $38K to over $40K. I just don't see much overlap (except where some relatively high priced GS300s go above $38K), and a 2007 or 2008 car with significant enough mileage to really drive the price down would at least have a question mark over it for me, as would some "too-good-to-be-true" price outlier.
Old 06-19-08, 03:01 PM
bigalexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i drove the gs 300 today and i must agree with the people that said get the 350. When driving the 300 i just felt like if this car just had a little more horsepower it would be perfect even for regular driving. And after reading some threads on this forum i see that gas mileage is not a significant difference between the 300 and 350. I dont know though i am looking to spend low to mid 30's on this Lexus so hopefully i can find a 350 around there without really high mileage.
Old 06-19-08, 03:08 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

KBB private party for a 07 350 with 30k w/ navi and ML is $31k for excellent and just under $30k for good. However, the pricing for used 07 350's is significantly higher at the moment. There's a clear disconnect between the book value and the market pricing. I haven't looked at the other pricing services our there but I know one thing, I am certainly not paying more than that if I buy one.
Old 06-19-08, 03:18 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigalexus
Well i drove the gs 300 today and i must agree with the people that said get the 350. When driving the 300 i just felt like if this car just had a little more horsepower it would be perfect even for regular driving. And after reading some threads on this forum i see that gas mileage is not a significant difference between the 300 and 350. I dont know though i am looking to spend low to mid 30's on this Lexus so hopefully i can find a 350 around there without really high mileage.
Good for you in at least settling the decision

I think you're really going to have to scour every outlet to find a sweet GS350 for $35K or less - Again, good luck with it. Please keep us all updated; I'll be curious to see how it goes.

BTW - Is AWD a must have for you there in WI?
Old 06-19-08, 03:27 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
KBB private party for a 07 350 with 30k w/ navi and ML is $31k for excellent and just under $30k for good. However, the pricing for used 07 350's is significantly higher at the moment. There's a clear disconnect between the book value and the market pricing. I haven't looked at the other pricing services our there but I know one thing, I am certainly not paying more than that if I buy one.
I think there might be some bad data in there somehow--put in the same search criteria for a 06 300 - it's more

Edit - Edmunds 07 350 AWD ML/NAV 30K MI is $37,300 Private Party $39,700 Retail - That seems closer to cars I see for sale.

Last edited by drpepper; 06-19-08 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 03:42 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by drpepper
I think there might be some bad data in there somehow--put in the same search criteria for a 06 300 - it's more

Edit - Edmunds 07 350 AWD ML/NAV 30K MI is $37,300 Private Party $39,700 Retail - That seems closer to cars I see for sale.
Yeah, you're right. That would be due to the imperfect pricing model they use. that is, that the 2007 model would get less "free" miles (around 12k miles) than the 2006 (around 24k). So the 2007 would be getting hit, per mile, starting at 12k and thus, a high miles 2007 would get hit by a boatload of mileage penalty causing it's value to run on par with the 2006. I'm looking for a 2007 so I'm not gonna complain about this, as unfair and imperfect it may be.
Old 06-19-08, 03:43 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Is an AWD unit really that much more???
Old 06-19-08, 04:09 PM
drpepper
Instructor

It doesn't look like a huge difference, but it's more.
Old 06-19-08, 05:26 PM
xxlbeerZ
Rookie

Good for you in at least settling the decision

I think you're really going to have to scour every outlet to find a sweet GS350 for $35K or less - Again, good luck with it. Please keep us all updated; I'll be curious to see how it goes.

BTW - Is AWD a must have for you there in WI?
I want to get a GS350 Certified Pre Owned. What is typical for the dealer to come off? i.e. here's a high mileage example:

http://www.lexusclearlake.com/VehicleDetails/1003519664

I hoping to pick up a non-awd for ~$32k.
Old 06-19-08, 05:51 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
I want to get a GS350 Certified Pre Owned. What is typical for the dealer to come off? i.e. here's a high mileage example:

http://www.lexusclearlake.com/VehicleDetails/1003519664

I hoping to pick up a non-awd for ~$32k.
I don't think there is a typical "come off." There seems to be a number of factors. An obvious important one is how badly they want to move the car.

That one has been in their hands for almost 2 months. They could be getting an itch. Has it been marked down? Are there a lot available in the area?

In my experience 2 months ago, there were two GS430's available, one each at two dealerships, and neither would deal down past $1,000 from the Internet price.

My father bought an LS430 2 weeks later and they came down $3K + without even blinking. I had to fight and bargain for the $1,000--I get worked up thinking about it.

Anyway, just put in your mouth piece and put on your cup and and go rassle some dealers and see what you can do.

BTW, when you look at a car that was on the road for 11 months and has 36K miles, that really does seem high.
Old 06-19-08, 06:13 PM
bigalexus
Rookie

Yeah AWD is something i really want because i live in Wisconsin and will be my daily driver. I am going to keep looking hard as i have been for the past month. I would like a gs 350 but am not totally against getting a 300, basically if i find a good priced 300 with navi etc i am still willing to go with it.

Speaking of price drops, there is a 06 300 with navi with 35 k miles sitting at this dealer for about a month since i saw it, who knows how long before that. They dropped there price from i think 34 to 32k, i'm sure if i went there i could haggle the price down further, also according to the carfax report the car was in an accident with moderate damage.
Old 06-19-08, 06:18 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Speaking of price drops, there is a 06 300 with navi with 35 k miles sitting at this dealer for about a month since i saw it, who knows how long before that. They dropped there price from i think 34 to 32k, i'm sure if i went there i could haggle the price down further, also according to the carfax report the car was in an accident with moderate damage.

stay away from that deal....BTW was the original car you inquired about AWD?? I never saw that
Old 06-19-08, 06:31 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Yeah AWD is something i really want because i live in Wisconsin and will be my daily driver. I am going to keep looking hard as i have been for the past month. I would like a gs 350 but am not totally against getting a 300, basically if i find a good priced 300 with navi etc i am still willing to go with it.

This is just one person's opinion, but I'd pass on a car that had moderate damage.

I'd also really want CPO in a 2006 (or a 2007 with really high miles)--Lexus has a great program.

How many Lexus dealerships do you have is reasonable traveling distance?
Old 06-19-08, 07:37 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

I think CPO for a LExus is a waste of money. The cars are super reliable as they are. Run out the factory warranty on them and and then just take your chances, these cars are not likely to leave you stranded on the side of the road and thus, chance is on your side.
Old 06-19-08, 07:40 PM
xxlbeerZ
Rookie

I don't think there is a typical "come off." There seems to be a number of factors. An obvious important one is how badly they want to move the car.

That one has been in their hands for almost 2 months. They could be getting an itch. Has it been marked down? Are there a lot available in the area?

In my experience 2 months ago, there were two GS430's available, one each at two dealerships, and neither would deal down past $1,000 from the Internet price.

My father bought an LS430 2 weeks later and they came down $3K + without even blinking. I had to fight and bargain for the $1,000--I get worked up thinking about it.

Anyway, just put in your mouth piece and put on your cup and and go rassle some dealers and see what you can do.

BTW, when you look at a car that was on the road for 11 months and has 36K miles, that really does seem high.
Thanks for the advice! (have never bought a used car)

Pardon my lack of perception, but how can you tell how long a car has been sitting on the lot?

Quick Reply: What is this GS 300 Worth?