GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What is this GS 300 Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 08:26 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Thanks for the advice! (have never bought a used car)

Pardon my lack of perception, but how can you tell how long a car has been sitting on the lot?
You should be able to tell approximately how long the car has been on the lot from the CARFAX report, which there is a link to on the listing for the car.

It looks like the dealership bought the car on 4/25.

It was a corporate lease that was driven almost 37K miles in 11 months. I might be paranoid, but I have visions of abuse.

-

Last edited by drpepper; 06-19-08 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 08:28 PM
xxlbeerZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drpepper
You should be able to tell approximately how long the car has been on the lot from the CARFAX report, which there is a link to on the listing for the car.

It looks like the dealership bought the car on 4/25.

It was a corporate lease that was driven almost 37K miles in 11 months. I might be paranoid, but I haven visions of abuse.

-
Thanks, yes I won't buy any off-lease or demo vehicles if I can help it.
Old 06-19-08, 08:45 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Contrary to popular opinion, Consumer Reports (I believe) reported that rental cars/loaners/demos are actually good vehicles to buy because they have been tested thoroughly and the failures would have been repaired. This is not a bad idea as long as you buy it within the tail-end of the original warranty.

For example, it's not uncommon to see old police cruiser Crown Vics, purchased for pennies at auction, being driven around the ghetto parts of Atlanta with more than 150k miles and running like new (an incredible feat for a Ford).
Old 06-19-08, 08:48 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Thanks, yes I won't buy any off-lease or demo vehicles if I can help it.
I wouldn't try to talk anyone into or out of a decision like that, but I don't think lease is necessarily a dirty word. In the current marketplace, the are a significant number of people who simply lease as an option to buying because it fits their needs and wants. As a steward, leasees can truly care for and take care of the car or neglect and abuse a car just like a buyer can. A leasee though has a specific interest in the condition of the car, and that can be good for the used buyer.

In the case of my car, it was a private lease that was always serviced at the dealership and the CARFAX report actually had entries for every service visit. I felt good about the info I was able to get and about the history of the car.

It's just my gut feeling is that a corporate lease has a fair chance of not having been cared about on any level. No real way to know. I also question why that particular one was back in 11 months.
Old 06-19-08, 08:59 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
I think CPO for a LExus is a waste of money. The cars are super reliable as they are. Run out the factory warranty on them and and then just take your chances, these cars are not likely to leave you stranded on the side of the road and thus, chance is on your side.
Opinions differ -shrug-

While I'll be happy if nothing ever happens with my car, I personally like having a warranty. Statistics happen - someone has to be in the percentage that needs the expensive repair.

As far as CPO programs go, Lexus' is right at the top.

I actually wish I hadn't gone in with the misconception that you could extend the coverage as long as you were still within the original warranty period. As I fully intend to keep the car, I would have made mine 5 years. Turns out only the original owner can make that extension - with CPO, it has to be done at the time of purchase.
Old 06-19-08, 10:26 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

It's just my gut feeling is that a corporate lease has a fair chance of not having been cared about on any level. No real way to know. I also question why that particular one was back in 11 months.

can you imagine the mileage surcharge on that....typical lease is 15k miles or even 18k miles a year with 20-30 cents per mile.....so lets see
20,000 miles at 25 cents a mile.....$ 5000
Old 06-20-08, 12:25 AM
bigalexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
stay away from that deal....BTW was the original car you inquired about AWD?? I never saw that
Yeah the original car is AWD but why do you say stay away from the second deal the car with moderate damage?
Old 06-20-08, 05:04 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigalexus
Yeah the original car is AWD but why do you say stay away from the second deal the car with moderate damage?
It's pretty widely held that wrecked and repaired cars are often never the same as before the wreck - i.e., they end up with ride quirks and problems that can simply never be resolved.

You have to wonder - Did the previous owner get rid of it because it wasn't quite right after the repair?

As you're buying used, it's an unknown with risk behind it. Some people see that risk as unacceptable in searching for a car to buy some will see it as mitigated by the appearance and assessment they make on a test drive. That wouldn't do it for me. I'd take that car out of consideration.
Old 06-20-08, 06:51 AM
xxlbeerZ
Rookie

It's pretty widely held that wrecked and repaired cars are often never the same as before the wreck - i.e., they end up with ride quirks and problems that can simply never be resolved.

You have to wonder - Did the previous owner get rid of it because it wasn't quite right after the repair?

As you're buying used, it's an unknown with risk behind it. Some people see that risk as unacceptable in searching for a car to buy some will see it as mitigated by the appearance and assessment they make on a test drive. That wouldn't do it for me. I'd take that car out of consideration.
Man, after your suggestion I paid $30 for unlimited carfax. I've found that almost every 06-07 GS in my area was either a demo/fleet car, or has been in an accident (even the CPO's). And almost all purchased at auction.

I guess that is to be expected when buying a newer, low mileage used car. I'm going to hold out for a good one like you did.
Old 06-20-08, 07:54 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigalexus
I think most of us would agree, when paying such high dollars for a car, you want one that is not previously involved in an accident. If it was a used corolla for $5000 then it is a different story. Also an AWD car adds another grand or so to your price so 33K asking for that car is not so bad after all, especially if it is clean without wrecks, abuse, etc. Dont get us wrong, most of us do lots of homework and get very good buys, probably better than the average consumer, but it does not mean you are not getting a great deal anyways. Last bit of advice, a rear drive gs300 is barely adequate power, but awd makes it a bit slower, and ends up being a dog. Anyways, shop around, you will find what you are looking for, gas is going up, economy is poor, these are luxury vehicles and prices will continue to fall.
Old 06-20-08, 08:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not sure about the price falling in the used GS market, in fact, I am seeing the opposite. As more and more owners are trading in their luxury suv for luxury sedans such as the GS, the demand will increase. We all know what happens to price after that.
Old 06-20-08, 09:09 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am not sure about the price falling in the used GS market, in fact, I am seeing the opposite. As more and more owners are trading in their luxury suv for luxury sedans such as the GS, the demand will increase. We all know what happens to price after that.
Perhaps you are right, but I would guess majority of luxury SUV owners really dont too upset by the cost of gas, I am referring to GX and LX owners, Escalade, X5, GL.....My gx is not going anywhere
Old 06-20-08, 09:32 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Different segments of the market are supposedly doing differently. The premium/luxury segment is doing well generally and especially well for used luxury (CPO program) cars in some regions. Mid-size American are distictly down.

I just bought a company Toyota Yaris (an experiment to see how much it can replace a small pickup truck). I got the last hatchback in stock leaving a single Yaris sedan in the dealer's inventory. Another company had just bought 18 of them, replacing a fleet of V6 Fords. The other local major Toyota dealer had no hatchbacks and only 3 sedans. I'm seeing an awful lot of them on the road.

It's funny, a $12K car has an iPod/aux jack and plays mp3s with file and folder controls on the stereo.
Old 06-20-08, 10:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I just traded in my GX for the GS 5 months ago. When I traded in my GX, the dealer had about 6 used GX on the lot and now they have 12. The price on these used GX sitting on the lot gets discounted every month. They have already drop the price on my old GX by about $2500. I figure if I traded my GX today instead of 5 months ago, I would ahve gotten $2000 less at least.
If you thing that the luxury SUV segment is not affacted by the high gas price, think again, look around and you will see how many used luxury SUV are for sale and how fast they are selling them. The only people who will tell you that the large luxury SUV market is not affacted by the high gas price is a saleman who is trying to sell you a car at list price
Old 06-20-08, 10:52 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

I just traded in my GX for the GS 5 months ago. When I traded in my GX, the dealer had about 6 used GX on the lot and now they have 12. The price on these used GX sitting on the lot gets discounted every month. They have already drop the price on my old GX by about $2500. I figure if I traded my GX today instead of 5 months ago, I would ahve gotten $2000 less at least.
If you thing that the luxury SUV segment is not affacted by the high gas price, think again, look around and you will see how many used luxury SUV are for sale and how fast they are selling them. The only people who will tell you that the large luxury SUV market is not affacted by the high gas price is a saleman who is trying to sell you a car at list price

G man, you should have been in a GS all along, how can i put in 2 car seats, 2 strollers, a portable potty, a dog in a GS LOL....perhaps you are right, I am sure the gs will stop losing value any time now since the demand will be going up for this car....

Last edited by EyeKutr; 06-20-08 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: What is this GS 300 Worth?