GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS460 / GS350 Options Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 07:59 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GS460 / GS350 Options Difference?

Is there anything available for the GS460 that's not available for the GS350? Other than the 8 speed transmission and V8, is anything else different? Being that the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are so close (within like 3 tenths of a second), it seems there's no logical reason (with gas prices as high as they are) to opt for the v8 - for almost $10,000.00 more. Is there something I'm missing? Is it THAT much quieter or smoother?

Thanks....
Old 06-20-08, 08:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No idea... If I was going for a 3GS, I'd get the 450h.
Old 06-20-08, 09:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

There's an active stabilizer bar system available for the GS460 that isn't available on the GS350.

http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/features/pricing.html
Old 06-20-08, 09:55 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

There are a host of subtle differences, the leather is better in the gs460. Also, there are more common options such as the active suspension, dynamic cruise control, pre-collision system
Old 06-20-08, 11:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

avs (active variable suspension) is available on the gs350, but you hardly see them. not that they are that useful though imho

gs460 has much better grade leather, semi-aniline.
Old 06-21-08, 01:06 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Okay. So I haven't seen anyone write anything (at least here) yet about the v8 being more quiet, smooth or refined.. That's good..

Now about the leather.. I'm a nut when it comes to nice, soft leather. However, I've tried to tell the difference between the semi-aniline and non-semi-aniline leather in a 2005 LS430. I couldn't tell.. I know one had it and the other didn't. I "THINK" the leather of the semi-aniline MIGHT have been the slightest touch softer - but I kept going from car to car to see if it was just me or what.. So if there's any difference between semi-aniline and non semi-aniline - the difference is so tiny that I can hardly see calling it "much better".

On the other hand, if there's something else that makes it that much better, let me know. Maybe I'm not understanding something.. Again, I'm crazy about the leather in cars - so I figured if anyone would notice a major difference in feel, it would be me... I actually buy vehicles based on the leather seats. I know, it's insane. And it's even more insane that I'm driving an Escalade with the leather on its seats..
Old 06-21-08, 03:01 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Okay. So I haven't seen anyone write anything (at least here) yet about the v8 being more quiet, smooth or refined.. That's good..

Now about the leather.. I'm a nut when it comes to nice, soft leather. However, I've tried to tell the difference between the semi-aniline and non-semi-aniline leather in a 2005 LS430. I couldn't tell.. I know one had it and the other didn't. I "THINK" the leather of the semi-aniline MIGHT have been the slightest touch softer - but I kept going from car to car to see if it was just me or what.. So if there's any difference between semi-aniline and non semi-aniline - the difference is so tiny that I can hardly see calling it "much better".

On the other hand, if there's something else that makes it that much better, let me know. Maybe I'm not understanding something.. Again, I'm crazy about the leather in cars - so I figured if anyone would notice a major difference in feel, it would be me... I actually buy vehicles based on the leather seats. I know, it's insane. And it's even more insane that I'm driving an Escalade with the leather on its seats..

Aniline leather is simply dyed with pigment added for consistency in color, and shows imperfections in the hide, will fade out eventually in the sun, and wears fairly easily - not a good leather for cars, to say the least.

Semi-aniline leather is very lightly clearcoated, and is typically softer than typical coated leather. It is subject to wear quicker and easier than coasted leather.

Protected aniline leather (what most of us actually have in cars) are clearcoated, and are the best for wear, color consistency, etc.

For those of you buying expensive leather conditioners, you're wasting your time if you have protected aniline leather. I use Zaino leather products regardless because I like the scent, but protected leather has a poly clearcoat on it, and you can protect it with the same stuff you use on your dash (really!).
Leather care products WILL NOT soak into clearcoated leather, so if you leave a leather care product on your clearcoated leather, buff it off, and then convince yourself that the seat "really soaked that up", you're suffering from a placebo effect.

Again,I still use Zaino conditioner because I like the UV protection,matte finish and great leather scent.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-21-08 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-21-08, 03:27 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Okay. As far as I'm concerned, the leather in the GS350 is just as good as the leather in the 05 LS430 that I drove for about a year.. To me, that's good enough..

Now.. I see 0-60 and the 1/4 mile are just about the same in both the V6 and V8 GS.. I'm guessing the biggest difference in power will be more noticeable from 100 mph and on.. Correct?
Old 06-21-08, 05:19 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok... let's list out the difference

semi-aniline leather, AVS (although available on GS350), VGRS, V8 VVT-iE (VVT-i on 350), 8sp, 18" standard, ECB (electronic controlled braking, brake by wire) and APSSS
Old 06-21-08, 07:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i thought you didn't need words on the powertrain. but since you ask, yes, the gs460 will be a lot quieter, smoother, and more seamless shifting. i had ls460l before, so i know the difference first hand.

about the leather, it might be subjective, but to me the semi-aniline leather is a lot better than the normal leather. significantly softer
Old 06-21-08, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I haven't driven a GS460, but it's bound to be quieter and smoother than the GS350. The GS460 has the LS' V8 and 8 speed auto, plus the direct injection in the engine in the GS350 has been reported to be quite loud.
Old 06-22-08, 12:35 AM
Highflier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the GS 350 to be smooth and quiet.
Old 06-22-08, 05:34 AM
tom2517
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS350's engine is very refined, I am sure it's very smooth and quiet. I wonder if any magazines has data on GS350 and GS460's interior noise measurement.

I found the below data (GS350) from a Taiwanese website, but they are self measurement:

Door closed>Idle>lowest air-con on 28.5 dB -> 39 dB -> 45 dB

Last edited by tom2517; 06-22-08 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-22-08, 07:35 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

What made you switch from an LS460L to a GS460? Would you mind giving me a comparison of both? Unless you've already posted it somewhere - than can you give me the link? I'm really curious about the difference in ride and quiet within the interior between both models.

I'm guessing the GS is a much more "fun" vehicle to drive.. Any differences that you can tell me between the two would be greatly appreciated. Of course, besides the obvious.

Thank you...

Originally Posted by rominl
i thought you didn't need words on the powertrain. but since you ask, yes, the gs460 will be a lot quieter, smoother, and more seamless shifting. i had ls460l before, so i know the difference first hand.

about the leather, it might be subjective, but to me the semi-aniline leather is a lot better than the normal leather. significantly softer
Old 06-23-08, 05:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Gs460 also have varible steering ratio.

Quick Reply: GS460 / GS350 Options Difference?