GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Procedure for rear brake pad replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 08:50 AM
osx-addict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procedure for rear brake pad replacement?

I posted a message yesterday over in the maintenance area but no replies.. Perhaps no 3GS owners live over there.. Anyway, just to widen my possibilities of a response I'm asking again over here...

My 2006 GS300 needs rear pads.. I'm getting the metal-on-metal sound on my right rear rotor. I took it apart yesterday and luckily found that the outside pad, while very worn, was not yet touching metal on metal. The inner pad probably had 3-4x the material on it for whatever reason.

However, I was unable to get the pads off since they've got pins that hold them in place.. Apparently Toyota redesigned the calipers on the 3rd Gen GS's and you need to remove these pins to get the pads out.. I'll also admit that the hardware that holds the pads in place is like nothing else I've seen before -- springs, etc.. (I've not had a toyota in a good number of years).. I do like that they've made the caliper so that it hangs down without putting too much stress on the fluid line -- so you don't need to gen-up some sort of caliper hanger to hold it stress free..

So -- anyone know how to get the pins out so the pads can be removed? I've tried pushing them out from the rear w/o success. I've also tried tapping them from behind as well.. They don't appear to be screw offs from what I can tell.. What am I missing? Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics... I would go buy the service manuals for this car but found that they're getting close to $1K for all 5 volumes!

Anyway, if someone can help me out that would be great!
Old 06-23-08, 09:14 AM
osx-addict
Driver

Ok.. I guess I found the right combination of search terms here on the site and found another thread for the 2G IS that seems to have a similar setup that has a pair of pins running through the pads as well.. They're apparently held in by some sort of long spring.. I'll have to look this week when I get some spare time.. I'll take some photos to post here for the next DIY brake guy..

Here's the forum link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=351784
Old 07-02-08, 01:53 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Here's some photos for you.. Overall it was an easy procedure, but it required a few things I don't need with other vehicles : high-temp brake grease, needle nose pliers.

Below is the wheel in need of replacement pads..

Procedure for rear brake pad replacement?-img_0153.jpg
Old 07-02-08, 01:54 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Here's another showing a close-up of the caliper with pins going through the pads and holding them in place.

Procedure for rear brake pad replacement?-img_0154.jpg
Old 07-02-08, 01:56 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Heres a pic showing the slick flop-down caliper with pads ready for replacement..Procedure for rear brake pad replacement?-img_0155.jpg
Old 07-02-08, 01:58 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Here's one showing the caliper with the little spring that holds the pins in, removed on one end and ready to be removed on the other end (notice the pin is partially removed on the loose end).. The rest of the procedure is pretty straight forward.. Make sure you apply some high-temp brake grease to the pin so it doesn't rust in place down the line...

Hopefully some of these pics will help someone else down the line that does not have the service manual either..
Procedure for rear brake pad replacement?-img_0156.jpg