GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is it me or does the paint chip when just looking at it?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 12:28 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are not alone. It's amazing how bad the front end of my GS looked after just one year of driving.
Old 07-07-08, 07:22 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my front end painted in april and already i have about a dozen rock chips. It really doesn't bother me ...... My GS isn't my daily driver , but when I do drive it It's always on trips and such so I expect it to happen . Just go buy yourself some touchup. As Tyler Durden once said ..... things that you own begin to own you Don't sweat the small stuff
Old 07-08-08, 06:00 AM
MichaelP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS front end masks available

I've had continued problems with front end paint chipping. I had the hood repainted and within a week had more chips. I've got to believe at this point it is an effect of aerodynamics that makes the front of the hood a chip magnet. I spent a lot of time looking for custom mask makers as that's my preference to clear masks but I had no luck at all. This week I took my 300 to Crown Lexus in Ontario CA to have work done on the automatic trunk motor and while waiting or the work to be done I wondered into a conversation with a parts department clerk and discovered that Crown Lexus had contracted to have custom front end masks made in response to many requests from customers. I immediately purchased the mask and had it put on by the service department while they were fixing the trunk problem. The mask looks great, has excellent stiching and fits snuggly. The cut outs are perfectly aligned and the effect is great. There is no lexus or dealer labeling although the manufacturer has some small relief lable on the drivers side bottom. The cost was $199 with tax included.
Old 07-08-08, 10:19 AM
gbondioli
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MichaelP
I've had continued problems with front end paint chipping. I had the hood repainted and within a week had more chips. I've got to believe at this point it is an effect of aerodynamics that makes the front of the hood a chip magnet. I spent a lot of time looking for custom mask makers as that's my preference to clear masks but I had no luck at all. This week I took my 300 to Crown Lexus in Ontario CA to have work done on the automatic trunk motor and while waiting or the work to be done I wondered into a conversation with a parts department clerk and discovered that Crown Lexus had contracted to have custom front end masks made in response to many requests from customers. I immediately purchased the mask and had it put on by the service department while they were fixing the trunk problem. The mask looks great, has excellent stiching and fits snuggly. The cut outs are perfectly aligned and the effect is great. There is no lexus or dealer labeling although the manufacturer has some small relief lable on the drivers side bottom. The cost was $199 with tax included.
Do you have any pictures?
Old 07-08-08, 10:48 AM
beachfront
Pole Position

Well, I feel a little better knowing that my car is not the exception here ... I think I am going to throw a handfull of rocks at the trunk so it matches the front...

I have filled in the paint chips with touch up wich does hide about 70% of the problems .... meaning unless you are REALLY looking at the car they are tough to see...

FOR ALL THE PEOPLE IN SOCAL/ORANGE COUNTY ----

Where is a good place to go in order to have the paint chips professionally filled and then throw a clear bra on the car??

Thanks,
Old 07-08-08, 11:27 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gbondioli
Do you have any pictures?
+1. Pictures please.
Old 07-08-08, 12:02 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by beachfront
Well, I feel a little better knowing that my car is not the exception here ... I think I am going to throw a handfull of rocks at the trunk so it matches the front...

I have filled in the paint chips with touch up wich does hide about 70% of the problems .... meaning unless you are REALLY looking at the car they are tough to see...

FOR ALL THE PEOPLE IN SOCAL/ORANGE COUNTY ----

Where is a good place to go in order to have the paint chips professionally filled and then throw a clear bra on the car??

Thanks,
LOl throw a handful of rocks at the trunk
Old 07-08-08, 12:51 PM
beachfront
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MichaelP
I wondered into a conversation with a parts department clerk and discovered that Crown Lexus had contracted to have custom front end masks
Is this essentially a front end bra like this one ...
http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/acces...tend_mask.html

I know this is for an RX but they call it a mask ..
Old 07-08-08, 03:36 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by beachfront
Is this essentially a front end bra like this one ...
http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/acces...tend_mask.html

I know this is for an RX but they call it a mask ..
ill pass on that... or the only way that will end up on my car is if i have to take a LONG road trip. i guess i prefer rock chips over a car bra.