GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is it me or does the paint chip when just looking at it?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 08:00 AM
beachfront
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it me or does the paint chip when just looking at it?!?!?!

Just wanted to check in with everyone, I broke down and detailed my car myself this weekend and found more %#$%!-in paint chips on this car then the last 4 I have owned combined....

I know my driving habits have not changed and I have not been off roading lately but there are chips all over the front.

I filled them in with some touch up which helped but is anyone else seeing this and is it something I sould bring up to the dealer? I had a 1999 GS before this and do not recall having this many prob's with the paint!

I thought I read/heard that new Gov regulations made paint on new cars less reliable than older cars but this is a bit over the top.

My car - 06' 430 purchased May of 2006

Thanks for any feedback
Old 07-06-08, 08:31 AM
safricags
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotta agree, never had a car that chips etc this easy
Old 07-06-08, 09:21 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Clear bra. you gotta have it with these cars!!
Old 07-06-08, 10:00 AM
Jisnis
Rookie

I have alot of rock chips as well. I should have clear bra'd it when I had a chance.
Old 07-06-08, 10:07 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife's GS looks like it has the measles and chicken pox combined. My GS is light colored but I still don't think I have any rock chips. I watch carefully what's on the road surface and avoid debris where possible. I will pull off the highway when I'm not comfortable with road conditions.
I will not drive behind cement or construction vehicles.
Seems silly but I hate road rash. I used to paint my front every year. I'd rather do what I'm doing now.
Old 07-06-08, 10:15 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

It is not an issue with Lexus only. It is across the board with all the cars makes. Thanks to our friends at EPA who changed the paint components regs in mid 90's to be more environmental friendly. This reg went into effect starting model year 2001. It will take a while for the paint manufactures to come up with a new formula that will keep Uncle Sam and the customers happy at the same time.
Old 07-06-08, 10:39 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm not concerned as much about rock chips as i am about rust.

you can buy clear film yourself and apply it to just the metal hood.
Old 07-06-08, 11:10 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Lots of paint chips here. There seems to be a new one every day. Sadly, I owned a BMW, Toyota, and Nissan before I never remembered any of them chipping paint so easily.
Old 07-06-08, 12:01 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No car I have ever owned has chipped like this and this is my 20th or so car. I just so happens I have a black Lexus now so it shows everything. The front of my car looks terrible, of course the hood being the worst.
Old 07-06-08, 12:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
It is not an issue with Lexus only. It is across the board with all the cars makes. Thanks to our friends at EPA who changed the paint components regs in mid 90's to be more environmental friendly. This reg went into effect starting model year 2001. It will take a while for the paint manufactures to come up with a new formula that will keep Uncle Sam and the customers happy at the same time.
amen, after looking at all the cars i detail, they are all the same
Old 07-06-08, 12:18 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
No car I have ever owned has chipped like this and this is my 20th or so car. I just so happens I have a black Lexus now so it shows everything. The front of my car looks terrible, of course the hood being the worst.
but the black car is the easiest to touch-up paint.
Old 07-06-08, 04:11 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Joining the misery loves company club, the front of my car looks like it was in a gravel storm. I contacted Colgan at the time I bought it, but they didn't make a bra for the GS350. I had them on two previous BMW's, and the front of those cars looked new until the end. Although I considered Lexus' clear bra, I just didn't like it, and still don't. Fortunately there isn't rust in my area, so I'll probably get the affected area painted when I can no longer tolerate it.
Old 07-06-08, 07:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

invest in a clear bra. I didnt have it on my prev red g35 and the hood looked like a starry night. Its worth the money. Its exspensive intially but will keep you happy in the future
Old 07-06-08, 11:52 PM
xxlbeerZ
Rookie

What color is the primer on the GS?
Old 07-07-08, 04:34 AM
jenadamson
Driver

Like others have said, you have to get a clear bra - at least partway up the hood and on the side mirrors like I did. Others get the whole hood, etc done which would be the best solution, but is also quite a bit more money. So far, I've only had two chips in a non-protected area, which I consider pretty good as easily as this paint chips.

Quick Reply: Is it me or does the paint chip when just looking at it?!?!?!