GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Good palces to pick up a K&N intake for the 3GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 11:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Good palces to pick up a K&N intake for the 3GS

I am going to be getting a typhoon intake to go with the coilovers, and I ws wondering where you guys would rec buying the intake from??? I think the intake will get rid of the numbing element in the intake. I want this car to wake up alittle.
Old 07-07-08, 12:39 AM
safricags
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any particular reason for picking the k&n over the fujita?
Old 07-07-08, 07:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I like the fact that the piping is a plastic material. The fujita is a metalic material. The metal will retain more heat and therefore increase the temp of the intake air. Plus the K&N unit has a heat shield. The fujita doesnt. so you will be drawing hot air from the engine area directly into the intake. The HKS intake is probably the best in terms of overall design, bbec the filter is encased in a box. I just dont think its worth double the price ($460). I also like the fact that k&n has dyno charts that verify the hp gains. Their intake kicks up the hp all the way accross the rpm range and will make the car sound like it has some *****
Old 07-08-08, 03:11 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Why not go with a hi flow air filter and JoeZ intake which keeps the Lexus cold air type induction rather than the hot air draw of a K&N,Fujita etc..?
Old 07-08-08, 07:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Why not go with a hi flow air filter and JoeZ intake which keeps the Lexus cold air type induction rather than the hot air draw of a K&N,Fujita etc..?
are you talking about just a simple drop in filter? I dont know if its going to give as aggressive of a tone while accelerating? not a bad idea, and it will remain a real and true cold air intake system. The 18 hp to the weels is a tempting option with the K&N filter. Thats not alot, but I think its something that most of us will still feel and appreciate, asnd it actually documented. Thats why I dig K&N. They are straight up and always provide that info. some companies claim hp of 10-12 and you dyno a 2-3 hp gain. I wonder if the JOE Z set up has dyno info for the intake. I havent heard of another intake making as much hp as the K&N before, so with the proof of the dyno graph I am very tempted. If I could get 320-325 at the flywheel(17- 22hp increase) with the tanabe exhaust and the intake it will improve hp to weight ratio , acceleration, throttle response, and finally give us more hp than the tiny IS.
most likely we have all lost some hp secondary to the big *** staggered wheels we all love and use. More unsprung weight = less whp. so we can at least get some of that back by using the intake system. The dyno graph will show hp reading for a stock car generally. with the wheels ( or larger brakes for that matter) you are always going to lose some hp