GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What are your thoughts on Daytime running lights? I just turned mine off

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 01:23 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I guess it all comes down to if you rather be safe or you rather look good. To me, there is no question safety is more important. DRL is not for lighing up the road, it is for other drivers to notice you more or see you better. Any source of light will draw more attention, thats why a cop shines a flashlight at you to get your attention. Thats is why marker lights are installed on airplanes, trains and commerical ship. They have long proven to be a valuable safety features in other industries.
Part of your statement helps make my case agains DRLs. A cop shines a flashlight at you to impede your vision not tom get your attention. I was a cop for 20 years and the reason was to put me at an advanage. I was able to see the suspect but the light shining at him would make it hard to see me. Your choice of examples was not a good one
Old 07-08-08, 01:28 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by silvervett
Part of your statement helps make my case agains DRLs. A cop shines a flashlight at you to impede your vision not tom get your attention. I was a cop for 20 years and the reason was to put me at an advanage. I was able to see the suspect but the light shining at him would make it hard to see me. Your choice of examples was not a good one
Silvervette,you're not saying that DRLs somehow blind you,are you?
I mean,they're a 55 watt bulb at 40-50% power on during the day.
Old 07-08-08, 01:53 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Silvervette,you're not saying that DRLs somehow blind you,are you?
I mean,they're a 55 watt bulb at 40-50% power on during the day.
No I am not and the statement on the site I linked to is silly about blinding DRLs. the problem is when a some good reasons are given and one silly statement about blinding is thrown in people tend to dismiss the good with the bad I just was pointing out that the reason why a cop shines a light at you is a bad example. And back before I got injured I rode a motorcycle with the headlight always on. This is just my personal observation, but I have come to many intersections with my M/C light on full bright and have an idiot look right at me then pull right in front of me as if they didn't see me. So i don't have mch faith in lights to prevent accidents. Your best defense it to expect all driver to do something stupid and plan ahead for unexpected moves by other cars

Last edited by silvervett; 07-08-08 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-08-08, 01:57 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you are driving east during sunset hours when the sun is directly behind you, you'll wish every cars behind you have DRL

in Arizona that's completely flat land and huge sun, sometimes a dark car behind will be completely invisible with no headlight on
Old 07-08-08, 06:10 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres been alot of talk about this topic before. i too HATE the DRL's. i had em turned off less than 1 week after i took delivery!
Old 07-08-08, 07:29 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 07350FROST
theres been alot of talk about this topic before. i too HATE the DRL's. i had em turned off less than 1 week after i took delivery!

I am aware of that but one of the reasons I brought it up again was I just discovered they can be turned off by the dealer. It may not be well known because my NY dealer told me the info in the book was wrong and it could not be done. But the SC dealer got it done. I was read to start pulling wires to do it so I am happy I didn't have to go poking around under the hood
Old 07-08-08, 08:35 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always wondered if you are depriving the bulb of the juice it needs, wouldn't it brown out from the lower intensity?

I have used 100 watt "ricer" low beams and they blew quite rapidly (then eventually melted the wiring) But after getting a thicker guage wire kit installed, the bulbs went twice the lifespan.

Also even at half the intensity, the high beam is still aimed wrong.
Old 07-09-08, 05:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Part of your statement helps make my case agains DRLs. A cop shines a flashlight at you to impede your vision not tom get your attention. I was a cop for 20 years and the reason was to put me at an advanage. I was able to see the suspect but the light shining at him would make it hard to see me. Your choice of examples was not a good one.
That is my main objection to them, too many things have been taken from the drivers control. I want to be the one to decide when to turn them on. The cars have fog light and I have a hunch that in foggy conditions I will see better with just the fog lights that with both the fog and DRLs so maybe they will impede my vision
Ok the cop example was bad, but there are reasons that trains, airplanes and ships have marker lights, and its not for looks.

Some safety features the driver should have control over such as stability system. Safety features such as DRL and airbags should be left alone.
Old 07-09-08, 07:10 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
Ok the cop example was bad, but there are reasons that trains, airplanes and ships have marker lights, and its not for looks.

Some safety features the driver should have control over such as stability system. Safety features such as DRL and airbags should be left alone.
Do you have control of your seat belts? I don't know how old you are but I am old enough to remember when people did not have control of their belts. People complained and were were give back control of our belts

===================================

In case some people are too you to know what I am talking about the shoulder belts were attached to the door so that when you opened the door they moved away, and when you closed it you were automatically belted in. It was a bad design because if the door opened in an accident you would be thrown out of the car.

Cars also had a device that would not allow you to start the car if you weren't belted in. People hated it and car makers got rid of it. There are some things that should be left up to the driver. I know that if I was driving east with a bright sun during sunset hours when the sun is directly behind me I would turn on the lights. If some people can't figure that out then maybe the should leave their lights on all the time. I don't leave my TV on 24 hours a day I only turn it on when I need it, I feel the same way about the lights.

I see this as dumbing down of our country and I don't like it, I have been driving for close to 50 years and I have figured out by now when to turn on my lights.

Trains, airplanes and ships are a better example but I am pretty sure they don't turn on the marker lights on during the day except in fog or low light conditions

Whoops I missed airbags, airbags were killing young children so car makers installed a cut off switch to allow the driver to turn off that safety feature
Old 07-09-08, 07:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Do you have control of your seat belts? I don't know how old you are but I am old enough to remember when people did not have control of their belts. People complained and were were give back control of our belts

===================================

In case some people are too you to know what I am talking about the shoulder belts were attached to the door so that when you opened the door they moved away, and when you closed it you were automatically belted in. It was a bad design because if the door opened in an accident you would be thrown out of the car.

Cars also had a device that would not allow you to start the car if you weren't belted in. People hated it and car makers got rid of it. There are some things that should be left up to the driver. I know that if I was driving east with a bright sun during sunset hours when the sun is directly behind me I would turn on the lights. If some people can't figure that out then maybe the should leave their lights on all the time. I don't leave my TV on 24 hours a day I only turn it on when I need it, I feel the same way about the lights.

I see this as dumbing down of our country and I don't like it, I have been driving for close to 50 years and I have figured out by now when to turn on my lights.

Trains, airplanes and ships are a better example but I am pretty sure they don't turn on the marker lights on during the day except in fog or low light conditions

Whoops I missed airbags, airbags were killing young children so car makers installed a cut off switch to allow the driver to turn off that safety feature
Wow!
The flashlight and now this.
Your analogies are way off the mark.
We're talking about two 55 watt bulb at half power.
No way DRLs are dangerous.No matter how you spin it.
People have them turned off because they don't like the look when they'ree on.
Old 07-09-08, 08:00 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Wow!
The flashlight and now this.
Your analogies are way off the mark.
We're talking about two 55 watt bulb at half power.
No way DRLs are dangerous.No matter how you spin it.
People have them turned off because they don't like the look when they'ree on.
I really didn't think it would turn into this much of a heated debate, but I went back and re-read my posts and although I may have missed it I don't see where I stated they were dangerous. The web site I linked to said they were dangerous, I don't agree with them on that point but I don't like them for aesthetic reasons and I don't like to have lights burning when they aren't needed.

I grew up poor and had it drilled into me at an early age to always turn off lights and now that I don't have to worry about having enough money to pay the electric bill I still turn them off. Maybe DRLs doesn't add much to extra gas consumption, but even it it only consumed an extra 5 or 10 gallons a year it still is wasteful and it bothers me. If you multiplied 5 gallons per year by all the cars on the road it does add up to a significant amount [they have more accurate number in the link].

One could make the argument that risk versus reward, The amount of lives verses the gallons burned, but I am not convinced that the number of lives saved would be statistically significant if people just turned on there lights during the day when conditions called for it

=======================================

This was taken from the site, it concerns the extra fuel consumed by DRLs.

I hope that people that are defending DRLs have at least read the information contained in the link

Conservative estimates place the figure at 604 million gallons of fuel per year, resulting in 8 billion pounds of CO2 being exhausted into the atmosphere. What's even worse, in testing vehicles for fuel efficiency, GM has requested -- and received -- permission from the federal government to disconnect DRLs so as not to be penalized for poorer fuel efficiency.
Old 07-09-08, 08:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I really didn't think it would turn into this much of a heated debate, but I went back and re-read my posts and although I may have missed it I don't see where I stated they were dangerous. The web site I linked to said they were dangerous, I don't agree with them on that point but I don't like them for aesthetic reasons and I don't like to have lights burning when they aren't needed.

I grew up poor and had it drilled into me at an early age to always turn off lights and now that I don't have to worry about having enough money to pay the electric bill I still turn them off. Maybe DRLs doesn't add much to extra gas consumption, but even it it only consumed an extra 5 or 10 gallons a year it still is wasteful and it bothers me. If you multiplied 5 gallons per year by all the cars on the road it does add up to a significant amount [they have more accurate number in the link].

One could make the argument that risk versus reward, The amount of lives verses the gallons burned, but I am not convinced that the number of lives saved would be statistically significant if people just turned on there lights during the day when conditions called for it

=======================================

This was taken from the site, it concerns the extra fuel consumed by DRLs.

I hope that people that are defending DRLs have at least read the information contained in the link

Conservative estimates place the figure at 604 million gallons of fuel per year, resulting in 8 billion pounds of CO2 being exhausted into the atmosphere. What's even worse, in testing vehicles for fuel efficiency, GM has requested -- and received -- permission from the federal government to disconnect DRLs so as not to be penalized for poorer fuel efficiency.
Actually,you didn't say DRLs are dangerous.The website you posted says the DRLs produce glare.
Also I don't consider our debate heated.

If one life is saved by DRLs,then it was worth gallons of fuel you brought into this discussion.

BTW,many insurance companies give a 2-3% discount on policies with vehicles with DRLs.
Old 07-09-08, 08:10 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, as far as aesthetics go, most of the time when I'm driving my car, I'm inside of it...no, strike that, ALL of the time when I'm driving my car, I'm inside of it...I don't care what the lights look like on as opposed to off.
Old 07-09-08, 09:15 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I am just very happy that I have the information that they can be turned off and wanted to pass it on, and I wanted to get other peoples opinions about the lights . It would be silly for me to ask for opinions and then get upset if someone disagree with me, but it does bother me a bit if someones objects to me having the choice.

By the way most of the anolagies were not mine I was just quoting them to refute them.

The site mentioned some DRLs are too powerful and worst than others, I honestly can't say it bothers me to look at them. I copied this from the site to save typing, it sums up my feelings on the subject

==============================

8. DRLs represent stone-age technology in the 21st century. Since cars do not need illumination at all hours, why not install sensors to activate headlights when ambient light is insufficient? The technology exists, and is already in use on several vehicle models.

9. DRLs are insulting to our intelligence. DRL proponents assume that drivers are not intelligent enough to know when to turn on their lights. By implication, then, DRL proponents are saying, in effect, that the states are licensing unqualified drivers! Driving is a skill. Observation is a skill. With proper experience and training, these skills are integrated in the person of a safe driver. Both of these skills can be nurtured or improved in every driver. But, neither skill will be enhanced in today's environment if it believes safety lies in the gadgets and misinterpreted data. Safety, in reality, is nothing more than the collective responsibility of each individual to be the best driver -- the most observant, the most cautious, the most defensive, the most skilled -- that he or she can be.
Old 07-09-08, 01:17 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turned mined off simply because I didn't like the color.