GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

HID Fogs???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 09:30 AM
charlayboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Fogs???

Anybody change out their fogs to HID's? Are you suppose to take off your bumper to get to the fog lights? If so how do u take off your bumper? o yea i also had a question about tint, 20% is legal right? help needed
Old 07-15-08, 09:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

ive seen people do it. xenon depot sells a kit for our cars which is roughly 200 bucks.

as far as getting to it, im not sure never really worked on these cars yet but im sure someone can help.

20% probably may be illegal in your state (atleast here in pa it is) but you have to check your state law on it. most of the time though cops arent too picky on it.
Old 07-15-08, 09:43 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some one posted pictures on how to install the HID fogs, just search the forums and you should come across it
Old 07-15-08, 09:48 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ReyRey305
some one posted pictures on how to install the HID fogs, just search the forums and you should come across it
x2, same about tints.
Old 07-15-08, 02:48 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

I installed the HID fog myself, only takes about 20-30 minutes to do it.

Quick instruction here (with double sided tape):
1. clean the HID bulb with rubbing alcohol to remove any crap from the HID bulb (especially oil from your hands);
2. clean the back side of the ballast, so you can stick the double sided tape on;
3. turn the wheel to oneside, then remove 2 of the plastic screws from the wheel fender;
4. pull the wheel fender open with one hand and stick your other hand to unplug and remove the OEM bulb;
5. install your new HID fog into the foglight housing;
6. connect the OEM plug into ballast, and connect the plug from ballast to your new HID bulb (turn on the headlight to make sure it lights up, b/c some cheap HID kit tends to reversed +/-);
7. decide where you want to "stick" the ballast, but clean the surface with rubbing alcohol also (I sticked mine ballasts on the side of the bumper);
8. push the wheel fender back to position, and rescrew the screws to secured the wheel fender;
9. do the same for otherside;
10. finally, VERY IMPORTANT, start up your toy and turn on the newly installed HID fog and let it burn in for 10-15 minutes (to stabalized the gas inside of the HID bulb).
11. NOW YOU ARE DONE!!!

Last edited by slk_dds; 07-15-08 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 06:49 PM
charlayboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slk_dds

1. clean the HID bulb with rubbing alcohol to remove any crap from the HID bulb (especially oil from your hands);
2. clean the back side of the ballast, so you can stick the double sided tape on;
3. turn the wheel to oneside, then remove 2 of the plastic screws from the wheel fender;
4. pull the wheel fender open with one hand and stick your other hand to unplug and remove the OEM bulb;
6. connect the OEM plug into ballast, and connect the plug from ballast to your new HID bulb (turn on the headlight to make sure it lights up, b/c some cheap HID kit tends to reversed +/-);
7. decide where you want to "stick" the ballast, but clean the surface with rubbing alcohol also (I sticked mine ballasts on the side of the bumper);
8. push the wheel fender back to position, and rescrew the screws to secured the wheel fender;
10. finally, VERY IMPORTANT, start up your toy and turn on the newly installed HID fog and let it burn in for 10-15 minutes (to stabalized the gas inside of the HID bulb).
11. NOW YOU ARE DONE!!!

koo man, thanks for the info
Old 07-16-08, 09:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by slk_dds

11. NOW YOU ARE DONE!!!

short and to the point. Thanks man
Old 07-16-08, 10:20 PM
NYDesi80
Rookie

This is cool if you dont plan on keeping the car for more than a few years, because the high voltage draw in the first few seconds of HID light up is way more than what the stock fog wires were designed to handle.

The proper way is to either upgrade the entire wire which is not feasible, the next is to add a relay power it directly from the battery with a better guage wire. This is how I have it done on all the cars, and the one car I didnt do it on when I was younger and naive, sure enough 3 years later, drivers side fog wires were burnt and the light wouldnt light up.

Its very simple, they sell HID wiring relay harness all over eBay for like 10 bux, just incorporate that into the install and you're good to go.
Old 07-17-08, 07:40 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

We include a relay harness with our kits specifically for that reason.
Old 07-17-08, 11:18 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Hello,
I would like to dismiss the myth about burning the wiring by using HID kit with fogs over a long time. My 98 GS is riding with HID fogs 2002-2008, not a single problem (I did burn the fuse once though - Hint on the protection of electrical system if there is really a problem). Lexus is building the spaceships on wheels with a little headroom to keep it reliable but please ONLY use Hella/Osram/Phillips equipment. Once again, ONLY take a risk if you can afford to repair it, I do not have any experience with the latest generation of cars and don't believe that the cheaper wiring is used nowadays.

Another note, cops never bothered me about HID fogs in CA. I have searched and never found any information about fog lights regulations in California.

Have a great modding!
Old 07-18-08, 12:00 AM
NYDesi80
Rookie

Either way, the wiring harness is only 10 bux more if anything and takes an extra 10 mts to wire up. Seems too easy of a thing to do so that we can avoid the hassles in the event of. Read up on the HID forums and you will see that this is the proper way to do it.
Old 07-18-08, 05:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

It take more than 10 mins to wire up a dual relay harness if you do it right. Rather you need the harness or not, that depends on the car's harness and the ballast you use. Lexus and most high end cars use heavier gauge wire than your average Hyandai. I have use plug and play kids on Lexus with no problem. Some ballast will draw more than others on start up, Stick with a high quality ballast such as Phillips or McCullon and you should be fine.
Old 07-18-08, 06:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

HID Planet forum recommends the use of a battery harness kit.
I had a Xenon Depot Extreme HID kit on my IS.It comes with a battery line to each HID bulb.
I've read that HID headlight draw 17 amps when firing up.I've also read that fire ups will take it's toll on the stock lighting harness over time.
I don't know if that's true or not but why take the chance?
It's better to be safe than sorry.

As far as HID fogs....
Why bother?
Just get a set of extreme white or super white bulbs.
I have Piaa Extremes and they look good.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-18-08 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-18-08, 06:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Most website will recommand using a relay harness because they dont know what kind of harness you have in your car. Its a good safe general statement to make. As far as I know, The new Phillips and McCullon Ballast will draw less than 10 amp on start up.

Last edited by The G Man; 07-18-08 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-18-08, 06:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Most website will recommand using a relat harness because they dont know what kind of harness you have in your car. Its a good safe general statement to make. As far as I know, The new Phillips and McCullon Ballast will draw less than 10 amp on start up.
Phillips are the best but...
I tried last year and finally heard that you can't get genuine Phillips ballasts in kits anymore.Phillips doesn't sell to kit companies.
In any case,why not use a battery harness.
They're easy to install and an extra safety net.

Quick Reply: HID Fogs???