GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How would you design/build a GS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 05:13 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Where's the luxury and elegance in that then? If you lose those two elements, it wouldn't be a Lexus.

I'm sure you can get the heated seats, navigation, sunroof, great sound system and all that stuff in an AMG, M, and S/RS cars.

I thought we were talkin about a GS-F & Performance here? Ever here of the BMW M3 Lightweight? Limited edition run of E36 M3 highly sought after brand new, you cant even find them for sale used. Lexus needs a car like that to break ground in the performance market.

Lexus needs to define its performance market. Understand that unless it trims the fat out of a GS-F no one will EVER and I mean EVER buy it over an M5 or E63 or RS6. Lexus has to offer the performance and under cut its competitors with a significant weight difference and price difference to generate sales.

I have already spoken to some Lexus Corporate staff and they are considering that in the release of future F cars (if any) Im sure you may have heard of the FR cars...... FR cars are just conceptual option package of F cars that cut the fluff out of a luxury car turned performance car.

IF you want a Lexus with Luxury and Elegance, buy a GS350. if you want a Lexus that hand other performance cars in its class their asses... buy a GS-F. IF you want to mix the two.... You will have a failure. (which is... a car that is sporty and not so luxurious, and sporty but not quick enough to be noticed)

Performance cars are a dime a dozen.... Lexus has to do something to differentiate their performance from the field. As we can see they are hurting. With the demise of TEAM LEXUS, there really isnt anything or anyone supporting the LEXUS racing brand. Other Car manufacturers have presence in racing.
Old 07-17-08, 07:08 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
I wouldn't waste my $$$ on GS-F when a GTR could be had

good point. i forgot how expensive the F GS would have to be.
It would cost $76000 at least.

knowing lexus, by that time, the GTR will probably still kick the GS' ***, and be sold with some discount after the fascination wears off
Old 07-20-08, 10:35 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should be an easy task for Toyota/Lexus crews...

Just put whatever they are going to put in our granddaddy (SUPRA IV), stuff them in our GS and add two more doors to it...that it!!!

P.S. dunnojack; since you are REALLY good with photoshop, can you try to extend the SUPRA and add two more doors to it and see how it looks, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails How would you design/build a GS-F?-supra-iv.jpg  

Last edited by slk_dds; 07-20-08 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-20-08, 10:50 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe a different style of tail lights, to make the car look more aggressive from the back ? I dont know.. and ek9vboi, I hope you're ok with me using your pic, I just could not find any good pictures of GS's butt.

Old 07-20-08, 11:42 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slk_dds
This should be an easy task for Toyota/Lexus crews...

Just put whatever they are going to put in our granddaddy (SUPRA IV), stuff them in our GS and add two more doors to it...that it!!!

behold......... the GS five-thousand. ha!

Old 07-20-08, 11:48 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

GS5000? Damn it must be a hell of a gas guzzler with a 50L engine lol
Old 07-20-08, 12:43 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't care for big gobs of power....you can only go so fast on the streets anyway. Somewhere around 350-450 hp is all I care for.

For me, the biggest issue would be the handling. I want a GSF to handle like a Bimmer....or better. The GS350 handles nothing like a sport sedan should. A halo GS should have all the suspension toys necessary to handle like it's on rails.
I'd also like to see some weight cutting. Use of carbon fibre, maybe use some super light seating, use a doughnut spare, etc.
Old 07-20-08, 12:49 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
behold......... the GS five-thousand. ha!

Thanks dunnojack, that is way cool!!!

I will order one right now...nay two, one for me and one for my wifey!!!
Old 07-20-08, 01:37 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I, for one, believe that Lexus should emulate Mercedes AMG rather than BMW "M" divisions for their performance cars. That would continue the traditional luxury cars but with a serious dose of additional horsepower. Trying to make a sports car out of a luxury sedan doesn't seem to make good business sense. How much of a sport sedan can be made from the luxury sedan is the question. BMW has always been noted for performance and handling rather than luxury, so the M3 and M5 were just an extension of that image. Mercedes kept the luxury, but added performance in the AMG cars which have been very profitable for both the factory and dealer even when sold in rather small quantities.

With the high price of gasoline likely to continue for some time, big V8 engines are not likely to be very well received. The IS-F is already being sold at big discounts in many markets.

If I were going to design a GS-F, I would use a twin turbo version of the 3.5 V-6 engine tuned to produce around 400 hp. The 8 speed auto from the IS-F coupled to an advanced AWD system. A computer controlled air suspension which would allow a selection between comfort and handling so the driver could select the best match for any driving situation.

If I could start from scratch, I would build a sedan which emulates the GTR. I find it interesting that Infiniti has decided not to proceed with this concept although they apparently looked pretty hard at it. That will leave them with the M50 sedan with 390 hp from a big V8 while gasoline costs $4.00 a gallon. I'll bet they don't sell many.

Steve
Old 07-21-08, 07:22 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GS-F

Turbo charged hydrogen powered V8 (575 hp)
Standard true 6-speed close reatio manual transmission
staggered 19 inch wheels/tires
an exhaust note
HID/LED lights all the way around
More heavily bolstered seats
Standard real carbon fiber interior trim or optional black birds eye maple
Semi-squared off steering wheel like in AMG models
Real leather covered dash pad
Standard Alcantera inserts throughout cabin
Agressive styling but without the ricer look as on the IS-F
Old 07-21-08, 10:31 AM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want something that is doable by Lexus. I am sure in these economic times Lexus, if they build the GS-F at all, will be pretty conservative:

400- 450HP Twin Turbo or Supercharged V6
Sport Tuned Suspension
Body Kit
19" Wheels
Dual Color Interior