GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus vs ML Audio

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 12:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by orbital817
It's not just my ipod though. The sound doesn't sound good when listening to CDs or the radio either. It's the overall sound system.
That's why I went with the ML, it's a lot more detailed and crispy in sound.
Old 07-22-08, 04:29 PM
orbital817
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mainly want it LOUDER. The ML system didn't do it for me either and that's why I didn't fork over the extra money for it. The system needs for oomphhh
Old 07-22-08, 07:35 PM
MassGS
Driver School Candidate

The repeated twin complaints with the ML seem to be the heavy center channel bias and, more importantly, the feeling that there just isn't as much volume/punch as we have the right to expect from 300+ watts.

On the first issue, I was fading to the back and have also followed the advice here to turn surround off and decrease the midrange, which helped a lot.

On the latter issue, I haven't seen any discussion of an aftermarket solution such as a booster amp? Maybe, given the integrated nature of the ML components (if you believe their joint web site with Lexus) it just isn't feasible, and it sure seems nuts after you already ponied up an extra $1600. I love the sound quality, but it does alarm me when I turn it up loud, but not crazy loud, and realize the volume is nearly maxed.
Old 07-23-08, 05:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Come on people, its a Mark Levison system, its not a ghetto blaster. If you want loud, go buy a JBL, that POS is nothing but noise.
Old 07-23-08, 08:15 AM
orbital817
Rookie

You can have quality AND volume. A good quality sound system would have both, and the Lexus sound system is definitely not there in terms of a good sound system. No one is talking about a "ghetto blaster", but one should expect a better sounding system from Lexus especially when other high end auto makers offer a MUCH MUCH MUCH better system in their vehicles.
Old 07-23-08, 08:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I disagree, I think the Mark Levinson system is one of the best sounding factory system I have ever heard, especially in the LS and the LX. I cannot think of any car in this price range that has a better sound system. The RL and the Infinity comes close, but the ML is still better.
Old 07-23-08, 08:35 AM
orbital817
Rookie

I guess we can agree on one thing though......and that's disagreement. lol Everyone has a different perspective on what's good and not. Cheers
Old 07-23-08, 10:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, audio system are like cars, everyone have different opinions. I agree that Lexus should have design the ML in the GS to sound at least as good as the ML in GX, they are both in the same price range. It was very hard for me to justified spending an additional 2000 bucks for a system that only sounds a little better than the stock audio system.
Old 07-23-08, 11:01 AM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orbital817
You can have quality AND volume. A good quality sound system would have both, and the Lexus sound system is definitely not there in terms of a good sound system. No one is talking about a "ghetto blaster", but one should expect a better sounding system from Lexus especially when other high end auto makers offer a MUCH MUCH MUCH better system in their vehicles.
I wonder which auto maker you are referring to as offering a "MUCH MUCH MUCH better system".
Old 07-23-08, 11:11 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by weilunc5
I wonder which auto maker you are referring to as offering a "MUCH MUCH MUCH better system".
Bang & Olufsen from audi to start
Old 07-23-08, 11:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Audi does have a nice audio system.
Old 07-23-08, 03:18 PM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
Bang & Olufsen from audi to start
sampled quite a few B&O Beo series, yeah they make nice looking ones, probably loud enough, too.

checked audi's website and here is the B&O option for
A8: $6300, 1100W,
A5: $850, 500W ,
didn't see GS comparable A6 with that option.
(guess one should get an audi if loudness is a decisive factor...)

While haven't quite seen any B&O systems being approved in the audiophile community, I am really more interested in hearing someone elaborate on which system is a "MUCH MUCH MUCH better system".
Old 07-23-08, 09:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

every brand has good and bad systems, it depends on how you compare. to be frank if one takes the ML system on the GS as reference, that's a poor choice. might as well get the RX while at it

get the ls460 or lx570 reference system and we will see who's the winner. there was an article recently by audio guru and they rated the ls460 system very high

just like bose, their systems say on acura are horrible at best, but if you are going to spend 10k on a bose system, i am pretty sure it sounds decent
Old 07-24-08, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

As far as clearity, the ML system in the LS or the LX is the best. The Audi system has power, and sounds better when turn up loud, but the ML in the LS and the LX sounds better at normal volume. I dont think the Audi system is way way way better. Its better loud but not as good for everyday listening.
Old 07-26-08, 10:48 AM
rbarker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
Actually, one Watt in electrical term = voltage times current. 130 watts is good enough for everyday listening, but if you like your music loud, then you need more power. The point I was trying to make is more power does not always mean a better sounding system.
You are absolutely correct! My home "stereo" is only 100 watts total but it will fill the entire house with crisp, clear full spectrum sound at levels dangerous to your hearing. Of course, it's about $12K worth of gear but the point is that power output doesn't really tell the whole story. My favorite story is having a friend over who liked her music "loud" and having her turn to me to ask me to turn it up, only to find that she had to scream at the top of her lungs to be heard. Without the distortion she was accustomed to she had no way to guage how loud the music really was.

Quick Reply: Lexus vs ML Audio