GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus vs ML Audio

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 09:55 PM
MrFC1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus vs ML Audio

Just took home a 2008 GS 350. I had wanted the Mark Levinson package, but they only had one in standard white while the red one was begging to be bought. In retrospect, the white is pretty nice, but I just fell in love with the red.

Anyways, I'm fairly disappointed with the stock Lexus audio. Compared to the Bose system I had on '04 Infiniti FX35, it just seems so bland and lifeless. At cruising speed you really have to turn it up to hear the details.

So, I was wondering if the ML was that superior? One thing that neither appears to have are tweeters close to the driver/passenger head, which always seems to help with the clarity (usually in the pillar or on the top of the seat.

Just looking for opinions. I've put a few hundred miles on the car, so it's officially used now I guess and I can't see them doing an exchange, even if I paid the diff and ponied up some cash for the mileage, but I thought about asking.
Old 07-16-08, 10:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you should try to hear it for yourself. to me, the ML is noticeably better, but i would not say night and day.

having speakers right by your ears don't mean much. all ML systems are done according to the acoustic of the car. the tweeters on the GS350 are on the front corner of the dash. to me, the sound bounds pretty nicely off the windshield and i think it's pretty clear

again, try to sit in a car with ML ad play music you listen to most of the time (please make sure it's high quality) and hear for yourself. to me, it's better than stock but not wow, maybe coz' i had the ls460l
Old 07-17-08, 04:26 AM
rbarker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrFC1000
So, I was wondering if the ML was that superior?
Gotta agree with Rominl here! Sound systems are very subjective and dependant upon they types of music you listen to. I had ML in my previous GS so I would even consider not getting it so I didn't do an actual comparision, though. With the right kind of music or good quality CD or DVD recordings I think the ML is just superb. FM radio playing the local pop music stations.... not really gonna notice the difference as much.

You just gotta listen for yourself!
Old 07-17-08, 05:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a bit disapointed with the ML.
The ML sounds much better in a LS or IS.
The front dash sound is too overwhelming.Especially the center channel.
Then if you fade say 4 hits to the back to hear a bit of the back,it lessens the quality of the sound.
Some say turn off the surround mode.
Then why buy the ML?
Bottom line is the center channel should have a volume control like home systems.
Old 07-17-08, 06:53 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm a bit disapointed with the ML.
The ML sounds much better in a LS or IS.
The front dash sound is too overwhelming.Especially the center channel.
Then if you fade say 4 hits to the back to hear a bit of the back,it lessens the quality of the sound.
Some say turn off the surround mode.
Then why buy the ML?
Bottom line is the center channel should have a volume control like home systems.
I'm not disputing or disagreeing with anything anyone has said, but out of curiosity, have you listened to any DVD audio with surround in your GS?
Old 07-17-08, 07:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drpepper
I'm not disputing or disagreeing with anything anyone has said, but out of curiosity, have you listened to any DVD audio with surround in your GS?

I recently bought my first DVD-A CD,The Beatles Love CD.
Not too many DVD-A CD available.Also bought a Pink Floyd Dard Side of the Moon upgraded sound CD.
The ML does sound much better using that mode but the center is still a bit loud but not bad at all.
Old 07-17-08, 08:09 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I recently bought my first DVD-A CD,The Beatles Love CD.
Not too many DVD-A CD available.Also bought a Pink Floyd Dard Side of the Moon upgraded sound CD.
The ML does sound much better using that mode but the center is still a bit loud but not bad at all.
Yeah, you don't have the full spectrum to choose from, but if you go on Amazon or Buy.com, there are several hundred DVD-A titles.

Anyway, I had seen a few posts indicating that the DVD-A/surround aspect of ML is supposed to be where there is a clear difference and where the effort is put into the design of the system.

A properly mixed/imaged surround recording is supposed to recreate staging without you making balance/fade adjustments.

I think this is another one of those nice propositions in theory only. In actual practice, most people aren't going to be playing the only type of source material that can take full advantage of the system. The sources that the vast majority of people are going to be listening to the vast majority of the time actually suffer to some degree from the fact that the surround component (somewhat uncontrollably) pumps midrange when the source is not a surround recording.

What other sources of surround recordings are there beyond DVD? Has MP3 surround ever been put into practice? I don't think it was even developed that long ago so players may not support it. MP3 on disk doesn't matter to me personally because I have a 2006 (the lameness of a 2006 model year vehicle with no aux input or MP3 disk support)

Can you get surround over satellite? I guess it would matter if you could because you'd have to listen to the all-surround sound channel or something.
Old 07-17-08, 08:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drpepper
Yeah, you don't have the full spectrum to choose from, but if you go on Amazon or Buy.com, there are several hundred DVD-A titles.

Anyway, I had seen a few posts indicating that the DVD-A/surround aspect of ML is supposed to be where there is a clear difference and where the effort is put into the design of the system.

A properly mixed/imaged surround recording is supposed to recreate staging without you making balance/fade adjustments.

I think this is another one of those nice propositions in theory only. In actual practice, most people aren't going to be playing the only type of source material that can take full advantage of the system. The sources that the vast majority of people are going to be listening to the vast majority of the time actually suffer to some degree from the fact that the surround component (somewhat uncontrollably) pumps midrange when the source is not a surround recording.

What other sources of surround recordings are there beyond DVD? Has MP3 surround ever been put into practice? I don't think it was even developed that long ago so players may not support it. MP3 on disk doesn't matter to me personally because I have a 2006 (the lameness of a 2006 model year vehicle with no aux input or MP3 disk support)

Can you get surround over satellite? I guess it would matter if you could because you'd have to listen to the all-surround sound channel or something.
That's true.
The DVD-A discs sound different and great.
I listem to FM most of the time and that's where the system lacks great sound and center channel loudness.Even with surround off,though it does dound a bit better but you do lose something..
Again,a center channel volume control like on my home unit would benefit the system a lot.
I don't know anything about how MP3s,IPOD work.I don't use any.
I bought the Beatles DVD-A from Amazon.

BTW
I did find kind of a sweetspot setting for me for FM and regular CDs.
Treble +3
Mid +2
Bass +4.
Surround and DSL ON.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-22-08 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-17-08, 09:54 AM
NYDesi80
Rookie

I dont know why but I feel like the ML in my RX sounds better than in my GS... weird.
Old 07-17-08, 10:35 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NYDesi80
I dont know why but I feel like the ML in my RX sounds better than in my GS... weird.
I can relate and agree

The ML in my GX was awesome, much better than the LS.
Must be the bigger cabin space plus more speakers also.
Old 07-17-08, 11:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The last 3 post just prove the point that audio system quality is very subjective. The LS has the better ML system, The GX sounds pretty good, but the RX ML sounds worst than the GS.
Old 07-17-08, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The last 3 post just prove the point that audio system quality is very subjective. The LS has the better ML system, The GX sounds pretty good, but the RX ML sounds worst than the GS.
i don't have comparison between GX and ls430, but ls430 ML system was supposed to be pretty good. the RX ML is horrible to me, that's all i can say. the ls460 ML system is insanely good, and i expect the same on the LX570 (both ML reference systems). cabin size might not matter, our sc430 ML system was better than the GS ML
Old 07-17-08, 02:06 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't like the audio? time to upgrade to aftermarket!

didn't get the $2000 ML system? spend it on amp speaker upgrades

anything has to be better than the pioneer speakers
Old 07-17-08, 02:12 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
don't like the audio? time to upgrade to aftermarket!

didn't get the $2000 ML system? spend it on amp speaker upgrades

anything has to be better than the pioneer speakers
Like I mentioned,to me it's not the speakers,amp or system.
It's only the volume of the center channel speaker that can't be controlled.
Old 07-17-08, 02:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't have comparison between GX and ls430, but ls430 ML system was supposed to be pretty good. the RX ML is horrible to me, that's all i can say. the ls460 ML system is insanely good, and i expect the same on the LX570 (both ML reference systems). cabin size might not matter, our sc430 ML system was better than the GS ML
Actually the ML in the RX improved 10x better from our 2005 RX to the 2008 we have now. The RX's ML in the 2005 severely lacked bass. For 2008, it was fine tuned and sounds 10x better than before.

My favorite ML systems are in the LS and the LX for obvious reasons, as they are the Reference Sound systems. I actually like the ML system in the IS more than my GS. go figure.

Quick Reply: Lexus vs ML Audio