GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Any 3GS street challenges? Or is she a bloulevard cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 10:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

for an LS to smoke a 3GS it would have to be a GS300 , I am assuming. Power is not every thing. I am personally more into suspension tuning. Thats what really makes a car fun to drive. Lots of power and ****t suspension is an american theme. lol
Old 07-24-08, 10:51 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cruiser!!!! This GS is dressed to impress only :P
Old 07-25-08, 12:14 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so........ who's planning to turbocharge this biotch later on?
Old 07-25-08, 12:23 AM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
so........ who's planning to turbocharge this biotch later on?
I would but saving money, a couple shops I talked to where excited to Turbo the GS350 but it just costs to much rather put a down payment on the next gen M5 or something!

LOL

I think there is black GS350 in United Arab Emirates with a turbo setup, might have the pics on my computer!
Old 07-25-08, 01:00 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am starting to appreciate the luxury ride and quietness.( yes I am getting older. 33 in 2 weeks)
Yep, getting older may play a role in your attitude change. Guys who raced when they were younger will always have that fire inside that needs to be stoked every now and then so don't feel like you're losing your edge.

What the lexus is really starting to make me realize is how much more time you will be able to enjoy the luxury than the sports aspect of the cars personality on public roads. That 40 minutes in the car alone, on the way home, with the music, ac, and the cocoon like setting that my GS offers, I feel like I am being cradled on the way home.
Yep, this is exactly how I felt when I first bought my 2nd gen GS and I appreciated the car for its ability to insulate me from the elements and allow me to reflect on life, business, etc in peace and quiet. Over the past few years I've modded the car to be more performance oriented in the suspension department but that's about it. Although I've been tempted to turbo the GS, buy a turbo GS, buy an LS460, buy an H1 hummer, buy a supra, etc... I have always (so far) come back to the basics. At the end of the day, all I want/need is a reliable, quiet, and comfortable cruiser where I can unwind.

BTW I8ABMR - are you in North Phoenix? I could have sworn I saw your car near Union Hills and the 51 freeway a few times in the past.
Old 07-25-08, 06:44 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

for an LS to smoke a 3GS it would have to be a GS300 , I am assuming. Power is not every thing. I am personally more into suspension tuning. Thats what really makes a car fun to drive. Lots of power and ****t suspension is an american theme. lol
Thats funny. My gs300 is 2 cars ahead of any gs350 i race. Take in mind i race with no spare and i have a few mods. But even so, my little gs300 moves. Thing is most people dont understand is that the ls460 off a role is a very fast car. The week i got it i lined up with a friend of mine that has a srt8 and he only got me by a car.

But just to mess with everyone im going to go and take pics of a 3gs in south florida that has a 2jz under the hood
Old 07-25-08, 10:57 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Thats funny. My gs300 is 2 cars ahead of any gs350 i race. Take in mind i race with no spare and i have a few mods. But even so, my little gs300 moves. Thing is most people dont understand is that the ls460 off a role is a very fast car. The week i got it i lined up with a friend of mine that has a srt8 and he only got me by a car.

But just to mess with everyone im going to go and take pics of a 3gs in south florida that has a 2jz under the hood
You should race my GS350, lol

I used to drive with my spare out but I always wondered if I got a flat and 1 week after I put it back in I got a flat, rock tore the sidewall. From a roll the LS460 is quick. 2nd gear roll in a GS350 is slow but 3rd is amazing. The 335i I can beat from a roll with my mods but from a 40mph roll I fall a car length back but yeah anyways the inline six I loved and I kinda sometimes wish they kept but I also see why they moved on!
Old 07-25-08, 11:12 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I always thought about that. Just been lucky enough not to get a flat lol. and from the sounds of it our cars will be close in speed. The 335 BMW always edges me out. but if you want to take it up to top end the 335 just runs out of breath for some reason.
Old 07-25-08, 11:29 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

I always thought about that. Just been lucky enough not to get a flat lol. and from the sounds of it our cars will be close in speed. The 335 BMW always edges me out. but if you want to take it up to top end the 335 just runs out of breath for some reason.
I raced a couple 335 Xi's they never once pulled on the GS350 and slowed down up top I soon learned they where speed limited to 131mph! In 4th gear a stock 335i pulls hard but otherwise not really. G37S is also another car the GS350 killed and is alot slower than what I expected it to be, way slower than the 335i. The best I ran on the 1/4 mile was 13.715 and trapped at 104mph. I also pulled on a C32 AMG but it pulled on me after 90mph!

It does pretty well for a cruiser, I still wish I waited for an IS-f and was mad when It was priced at 56k...lol
Old 07-25-08, 11:37 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Ive never raced a stock one. Thats kinda hard in south Florida. We have a big tuner down here called active autowerk. They do some amazing things with BMW. ill have to try it out. And between them and the dealer most 335 arnt stock
Old 07-25-08, 11:45 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Ive never raced a stock one. Thats kinda hard in south Florida. We have a big tuner down here called active autowerk. They do some amazing things with BMW. ill have to try it out. And between them and the dealer most 335 arnt stock
Here is Cali I only know of a dew chipped ones but yeah I heard Florida cops are crazy about speeding tickets!

The Dinan chipped Bmw's are sweet!

At Irwindale I saw a 550whp 335i, thought it was the new m3 when a spectator told me otherwise, crazy cars!

Last edited by valgs350; 07-25-08 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-26-08, 10:45 AM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Originally Posted by valgs350
The GS350 easily beats the cls500 in all power ranges same has the 350z! With some bolt on mods it takes out the g37s but anyways Lexus has always marketed the GS has more of a sports sedan, I remember when the 2006 GS came out, Motortrend had a ad stating "outrun anything." with two bikes chasing a red matador GS on a stony roman road.

All lexus cars are great cruisers but lexus considers the GS more sports has it does the IS. Lexus corperate taking it to the lexus high performance driving school and laguna seca. The GS is a great car with a very rigid chasis perfect for tuning but again its what you want the car to be.

Can't wait for the Gs-f and next gen M5, would lexus even consider making a gs-f if the orginial gs was just a cruiser. Its like the lx470, its really a land cruiser and a very Capable machine in any terrain.

A new magazine called Traction which is about the life in a sport sedan or coupe has the 3rd Gen GS plastered everywhere on it.

Maybe my GS 350 is more of a sports sedan becasue I got my Tein Super Sport coilovers when I bought the car and changed to high performace tires. Those two mods are a big differance + the underbraces.

This video shows the Luxury Sports Sedan I guess, http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...LIvujRCA&hl=en

The GS350AWD might not be has sporty due to its higher suspenion setup but I never drove one!

The GS is like an LS and IS having a baby, cruiser + sports but with some schooling (aka mods) you can take your baby to BMW level!

I have to say the GS 350 tranny is great for sports driving!
I think you are a lil hyped up on the GS350. I don't see the GS beating a CLS. The GS is a great car with an EXCELLENT motor, but I have to disagree with you on the trans. It is very jerky, especially downshifting on the freeway. I think the transmission is the worst part about the GS350. Never knows when to shift.
Old 07-26-08, 05:01 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlBoston
I think you are a lil hyped up on the GS350. I don't see the GS beating a CLS. The GS is a great car with an EXCELLENT motor, but I have to disagree with you on the trans. It is very jerky, especially downshifting on the freeway. I think the transmission is the worst part about the GS350. Never knows when to shift.
CLS500 is an easy take for the GS350!

The CLS550 is another car at another level!

I like the trans, its downshifts are very smooth and under hard acceleration its flawless, on the track it keeps the gear in higher rpms which I was very impressed it did it on its own rather then go on to the next gear like other cars. I never experienced any jerkyness like I did with an ES350 or a Camry!

but on the CLS500 the GS350 is faster, in all honesty it is! I raced 2 on and off the track, the CLS was getting low 14's while the GS was getting mid-high 13's, most of the stuff I claim is from experience. The GS is even a fun car taking VSC trac off and the 2007 GS350 doesn't have VDIM so its truly off.
Old 07-27-08, 05:42 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlBoston
You are honestly the first person i have ever seen that doesn't like a Toyota transmission. But i guess everyone has their preferences
Old 07-27-08, 09:20 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

You are honestly the first person i have ever seen that doesn't like a Toyota transmission. But i guess everyone has their preferences
Yeah I'm just not a fan of it. My GS would shift so snappy... did that ever since it was new. I've driven a couple of them so it seems to be a normal characteristic of the trans. The new camry 4cyl with the 5spd auto is smoother shifting than the GS350! GS460 trans is much better.

BTW: when I say snappy, I don't mean that in a good way. The IS-F trans is snappy in a GOOD way. The GS was just harsh.

Quick Reply: Any 3GS street challenges? Or is she a bloulevard cruiser?