GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Any 3GS street challenges? Or is she a bloulevard cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 06:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Any 3GS street challenges? Or is she a bloulevard cruiser?

I was wondering how most of us see the lexus that we own. I am going back and fourth between tuning this car for performance or just going ***** out for cosmetics and style. I am never racing anyone in this lexus. Nobody even looks at this car for a race. In my g35 I was constantly spanking the lesser tuner cars out there. There was always a challenge. Freeway or highway you could usually find a fellow speed freak who either wants to go for it and race or just a guy who likes to play high speed chase. In my 3GS I cant seem to even spark a little race on the streets. The tuner crowd kinda looks and nods in approval and will kind of follow and even take pics. they look at our cars as they are too high end to race. I have to admit I have chilled out alot since I got this car ( Which is good because I have already had 2 criminal speeding tickets 100+). It almost forces you to chill and cruise. I have even become slightly addicted to the soft ride and silent cabin. How do you see your Lexus?
Old 07-18-08, 08:06 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS is by far the fastest car I ever owned... I had 3 accords (94, 00, 03), no matter what I did to them they would never be as fast as my GS350...Every time I get next to a hooked-up Honda, I just have to smoke it Two days ago I was waiting for my friend to get out of work... I was in a huge open parking lot, then I got an idea to start doing donuts in the parking lot, lol... It was awesome !
Old 07-18-08, 08:10 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

I have learned to NOT make a car into something it is NOT designed for.

the GS350 is my family going out car. We all like modded cars but I think a nice drop and some simple non bling non rap video wheels are just fine for daily driving. The car looks nice as it is. I am debating the Junction Produce VIP kit for it.... but its not that important to me anymore. Simple is better now since we have specific use for the cars.

The supra is my race/project car and the yaris is now my Fuel econo commuting car/project car.
Old 07-18-08, 09:46 PM
Khankn32
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -

"Performance Luxury Sedan" I try to push it more towards the "Performance" side
Old 07-18-08, 10:07 PM
SmokeyGS
Pole Position

I say crusing mobile...
But im adding a little extra "kick" to the GS...100 SHOT of NOS will do (in progress real soon).. just in case i need it some day..

:-P
Old 07-18-08, 10:23 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cruiser.

i'm not wasting my gas unless you're paying for it.
Old 07-18-08, 11:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The funny thing is I was always pushing the VQ motor in my G35. I would constantly shift it in the deep end of the tach, and have absolutely tapped the limiter a few times. The lexus I will push every now and then , but generally it feels so smooth and quiet, I get into a comfy mode and just cruise. I have had the car to a pretty high speed, but still not as high as I have had my G35(148mph). I dont think the Gs350 suspension with the tein h techs gives me the kind of high speed stability that my G35 did on these AZ back roads. They are not perfectly flat like a freeway( or at least an AZ freeway). They tend to slightly bumpy and the banking of the road will shift. The suspension set up gives me a compliant ride but at high speeds you neeed a suspension with some serious damping to maintain maximum stability. That the appeal of the coilovers. set it soft for cruising or bump up the setting for high speed stability. I am just wondering if I am starting to mellow with age. I am starting to appreciate ride quality and cabin quietness. Pretty new stuff after my last car. Loving it though.
Old 07-20-08, 04:41 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2002 Nissan Maxima with a 6 speed manual and that car hauled enough for me. I didn't do anything to it but its stock performance was decent. I felt with that car, because of the manual tranny, I wanted to drive it faster. It was more fun. With the GS, maybe because it's an automagic, it's fast but doesn't feel as fast as the Maxima if that makes any sense. It gets you to speed but without the fuss or drama.

For me, GS = boulevard cruiser. How else is anyone gonna see you driving it if you blast by them?
Old 07-20-08, 04:57 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you buy a GS if you wanted a car to "race"? Makes no sense to me....
Old 07-20-08, 05:04 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Sports Sedan...lol

I'm tuning mine for perfomance and luxury = LUXURY SPORT

I alwasy get 350z, g35's, hondas, and a couople german cars that I have raced.

The GS350 is faster than the 350z and G35. Its also faster than the CLS500 and CLK350. I beat all the Hondas except for this 1992 Civic Hatch port/polished motor + Turbo!

With a drop your GS has a very classy sporty stance!

The GS can be modded both ways but what kind of person are you?

When you get those coilovers your handling will be a night and day differance from stock.

Originally Posted by tsavo
Why would you buy a GS if you wanted a car to "race"? Makes no sense to me....
With a set of coilovers and other stuff in my sig you can't help but race it but when I talked to friends and strangers who had 335i's and G35's they loved how sporty and classy the GS was and told me they regret overlooking the car and might purshase one in the future. Alot of poeple love the interior and the lowered stance.

This ad made me proud I owned my GS350!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tdvD8qBPKcE

Last edited by valgs350; 07-20-08 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-20-08, 05:12 PM
Alafingaz
Rookie

I think it all depends on how u drive the car. If its your daily driver id say just a little mods here and there is no big deal. but if u want to drive fast theres just so much more you could do. the possibilities are endless.
Old 07-20-08, 05:59 PM
spider_55
Driver

I love the GS, but if you wanted a sports sedan, you bought the wrong car. It's fast and can be made to feel sporty, but it is not a sports sedan. I love to drive fast, but view this car more as a highway cruiser. I have trouble believing that it can beat a current generation G35, CLS500, or 350Z.

I would compare the M35 to the GS350, not the G35.

Luxury Sport Class:
Lexus IS350, ISF
BMW 335, M3
Audi A4, S4
Mercedes C350, C63
Cadillac CTS, CTS-V
Infiniti G35 / G37
add others...

The GS350 is not a sports sedan, it can be driven sporty, but that's not the same thing. For the same money I wish I purchased the ISF, but in the snow and rain I love my AWD, and really appreciate the space and comfort on long trips. What I need is the ISF and the GS350, but I just can't afford it...
Old 07-20-08, 11:25 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spider_55
I love the GS, but if you wanted a sports sedan, you bought the wrong car. It's fast and can be made to feel sporty, but it is not a sports sedan. I love to drive fast, but view this car more as a highway cruiser. I have trouble believing that it can beat a current generation G35,cls550
The GS350 easily beats the cls500 in all power ranges same has the 350z! With some bolt on mods it takes out the g37s but anyways Lexus has always marketed the GS has more of a sports sedan, I remember when the 2006 GS came out, Motortrend had a ad stating "outrun anything." with two bikes chasing a red matador GS on a stony roman road.

All lexus cars are great cruisers but lexus considers the GS more sports has it does the IS. Lexus corperate taking it to the lexus high performance driving school and laguna seca. The GS is a great car with a very rigid chasis perfect for tuning but again its what you want the car to be.

Can't wait for the Gs-f and next gen M5, would lexus even consider making a gs-f if the orginial gs was just a cruiser. Its like the lx470, its really a land cruiser and a very Capable machine in any terrain.

A new magazine called Traction which is about the life in a sport sedan or coupe has the 3rd Gen GS plastered everywhere on it.

Maybe my GS 350 is more of a sports sedan becasue I got my Tein Super Sport coilovers when I bought the car and changed to high performace tires. Those two mods are a big differance + the underbraces.

This video shows the Luxury Sports Sedan I guess, http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...LIvujRCA&hl=en

The GS350AWD might not be has sporty due to its higher suspenion setup but I never drove one!

The GS is like an LS and IS having a baby, cruiser + sports but with some schooling (aka mods) you can take your baby to BMW level!

I have to say the GS 350 tranny is great for sports driving!

Last edited by valgs350; 07-21-08 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-21-08, 07:19 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Originally Posted by spider_55
I love the GS, but if you wanted a sports sedan, you bought the wrong car.....

The GS350 is not a sports sedan, it can be driven sporty, but that's not the same thing.

You sir have spoken the truth.
The rest of these people here are dillusional if they think the GS is a "sports sedan"
Old 07-21-08, 05:53 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

I vote cruiser but this car is fine as a sports sedan. The problem for most people is you have to LEARN how to drive it fast. No floor and steer here. The grip is very good, but you will get very little feedback from the car, which is very disturbing at high speed and/ or rapid transitions.

Quick Reply: Any 3GS street challenges? Or is she a bloulevard cruiser?