GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Awful squeaking breaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 06:43 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I only have 6000 miles on my car, what are my options? Is there a way to return it? I don't think I should have to deal with this nonsense. I paid for a product that isn't working, and they aren't fixing it, and they are expecting me to continue paying for it. Am I crazy to think I should receive some form of compensation? I didn't have these problems in any of my other cars, and anytime I had problems with my other cars, they were repaired. I just don't get how they can tell me "we don't know when the new brakes are coming in.. you have to suffer and wait". Seriously, its the saddest thing ever =( I went from loving this car to not wanting to drive it at all. My wife (Who I had to justify buying a Lexus for) HATES this car now. So sad =(
Old 11-25-08, 05:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

bozer, didnt you read the fine prints, no return, no refund
If I were you, I would try to ask that dealer or another one to try to put on anti squeak compound on the brakes and clean them up while they are at it. Its not the pads that are squeaking because my high performance pads squeak but after I change them to the low dust pads, they are quiet. Some owners here have the opposite happened to them. That tells me it has to do more with workmanship than the pads itself.
Old 11-25-08, 03:05 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Yeah =(

I will try that but I have no hope it will work. Last time I basically told the guy to go F himself and he was fine with that, as if I was the tenth person that day to say that to him and he didn't care. This was the manager at Bay Ridge lexus
Old 11-25-08, 03:10 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Question for you guys..

What if I buy aftermarket brakes? How much would that cost (parts and install) ?

Perhaps thats the easy answer. I wouldn't mind doing it if i wasn't too much money. Right now I honestly hate driving and it would appear this miserable situation is going to go on until at least 2009
Old 11-26-08, 05:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

$100 for the pads and maybe $100 to $150 labor, but like I said, I dont think its the pads. Why not get a seconds opinion from another mechanic.
Old 11-26-08, 07:26 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

I'm going to go and get new brakes. I'm pretty sure it is the brakes because I didn't have any squealing when I had the dusty pads. When I swapped to these, it started.

I give up on the dash rattles. The squealing has been so bad interior sounds don't bother me anymore.

So screw it. I'll spend $300 to get new pads put on rather then spend the entire winter looking like a moron.
Old 11-26-08, 08:01 AM
Strad6708
Rookie

Don't be so sure the problem is related to the dustless pads...I have the original, high-friction, dusty pads and I have AWFUL brake squeal.
Old 11-26-08, 08:05 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Weird... Why wouldn't I have had the problem with the originals?

What in the hell could be the problem? It's not like brakes are some new technology =(

This sucks guys. I can't deal with this for the rest of the winter. Who knows if they will ever do anything about it considering the dash rattles are still in effect.

I think I should take one for the team, get new brakes and report back.

Maybe there's some cool high performance ones I could buy? Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 11-26-08, 08:29 AM
ejvette
Driver

This should solve your brake problem

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/200...ig-Brake-Kits/
Old 11-26-08, 09:08 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

guys guys.. it's a combination of things, chances are if it happens after the new pads, it's probably from the poor installation and failure to apply the anti-squeak compounds, and of course in the ideal world, rotors should be changed to match the new pads as you know the squeaking comes from the vibration of the pads which caused by uneven surface on the rotors.

If same rotors, technician should've either resurfaced or hand sanded down the surface.

Afterward, did you guys properly bed in your brakes? most likely not, I would assume

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

once again, I will say this after years of experience with the dustless pads on bmw, they are PRONE to squeak, it's a widely accepted facts, but it CAN be cured, dustless pads are harder and takes longer to reach optimum braking temp/power, you should definitely feel the need for a much firmer press in a cold morning.
Old 11-26-08, 10:06 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no consistency between dustless and original pads and the squeaking. You hear people from each end complaining. My dealership has a waiting list for 3GS squeaking brake TSIB which we all been promised any day now. The service manager even took a step further by replacing brake shims, resurfacing rotors, lubing everything up, and my breaks still squeak when I start driving. It’s not as bad as before, but its still there.

@ bozer: considering you don't drive your car every day or as often, why don't you give it another month before throwing away $300? Also keep in mind, when Lexus going to find a solution and if it requires change/replacement of other parts - how are you going to prove your squeaking if new brake pads temporarily will mask that?
Old 11-26-08, 03:18 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Good point.

I guess I have to wait =(

Its just so embarrasing and annoying when you're in traffic squealing the whole way home.

Oh well. Happy Thanksgiving guys
Old 11-27-08, 01:59 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
guys guys.. it's a combination of things, chances are if it happens after the new pads, it's probably from the poor installation and failure to apply the anti-squeak compounds, and of course in the ideal world, rotors should be changed to match the new pads as you know the squeaking comes from the vibration of the pads which caused by uneven surface on the rotors.

If same rotors, technician should've either resurfaced or hand sanded down the surface.

Afterward, did you guys properly bed in your brakes? most likely not, I would assume

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

once again, I will say this after years of experience with the dustless pads on bmw, they are PRONE to squeak, it's a widely accepted facts, but it CAN be cured, dustless pads are harder and takes longer to reach optimum braking temp/power, you should definitely feel the need for a much firmer press in a cold morning.
i agree on the dustless pads comments about being harder and takes longer to reach optimum braking temp/power. i had endless low dust brake pads on my old TL, and it took awhile before they clamped down good enough. should be the same as the oem low dust pads as well.

i would also recommend to the OP to go to a reputable lexus dealership to have this taken care of...some dealerships are better than others in terms of service and mechanical work.
Old 11-27-08, 03:31 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

^^^^^BTW, we do you go for service?
Old 11-27-08, 08:28 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vladbph
^^^^^BTW, we do you go for service?
i haven't gone for my first freebie yet, LOL! i'm sitting at around 750 km on the odo so far, waiting till i hit 1,600 km before i go in. will most likely take this to regency lexus, as i prolly don't wanna drive all the way to richmond lexus to get service done. btw, no problems with squeeky brake pads yet (touch wood). the oem pads are definitely very dusty for sure, but it's something i'm willing to live with to have better stopping power.

Quick Reply: Awful squeaking breaks