GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs. Hyundai Genesis ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 06:41 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwaters
What trash talk?
The many times you've tried to make the Lexus = Toyota connection
for example. We all know that one, it's brought up by just about
every Lexus naysayer in the book.

Maybe the Genesis is a good car. Maybe it's even a better value than
the GS (I personally don't think the GS is a good value BTW), but I don't
think many of us in this forum appreciate being called stupid for selecting
a fancy 50K Toyota.
Old 07-30-08, 06:44 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one never saw Jwaters posts as derisive at all. I appreciate his insights on the Genesis as I am also interested in this car. A lot of the other posters felt it necessary to slam the Hyundai. I never saw him slam the GS - He owns one!
Old 07-30-08, 06:45 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I do like the Genisis, but just my opinion, why do people buy things like Ferrari or Rolex's because they can and life is short, if you have the money, enjoy it and if having real nice things is something people strive for go for it, look at mb,bmw or even Alfa, all cars that will most likely fall apart, break, or just be terrible but people still buy them, because of the name, so no matter how good the Genesis is, most will look at the badge and leave, unfortunately. Lexus was able to make a name because toyota was already a solid player just my opinion on the whole thing
Old 07-30-08, 06:48 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by marshmallo

a fancy 50K Toyota.

what?! i dont think he brought up the toyota/lexus connection. I think you should go re-read some of the posts before jumping in on a discussion/debate that you havent been fully briefed on. I know for sure no one called anyone stupid for buying a fancy 50k toyota. So please if youre going to make claims that anyone said anything QUOTE that he said youre stupid for buying a 50k TOYOTA. I "think" joeb and gman can back me up on this one. I never called anyone stupid and im pretty darn sure Jwaters didnt call anyone STUPID for buying a 50k Toyota. So please lets stay away from putting words into anyones mouths. ALSO I dont think youre understanding what we're discussing. We are not "nay" saying anything about the GS. So once again please try to read some of the older posts before jumping in. I am not perfect, Ive had my share of mistakes with numbers and im sure we can all agree on that we all have made typos or posted wrong information not intentionally trying to lie but we were just mistaken. So I think youre just mistaken.
Old 07-30-08, 06:58 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
what?! i dont think he brought up the toyota/lexus connection. I think you should go re-read some of the posts before jumping in on a discussion/debate that you havent been fully briefed on. I know for sure no one called anyone stupid for buying a fancy 50k toyota. So please if youre going to make claims that anyone said anything QUOTE that he said youre stupid for buying a 50k TOYOTA. I "think" joeb and gman can back me up on this one. I never called anyone stupid and im pretty darn sure Jwaters didnt call anyone STUPID for buying a 50k Toyota. So please lets stay away from putting words into anyones mouths. ALSO I dont think youre understanding what we're discussing. We are not "nay" saying anything about the GS. So once again please try to read some of the older posts before jumping in. I am not perfect, Ive had my share of mistakes with numbers and im sure we can all agree on that we all have made typos or posted wrong information not intentionally trying to lie but we were just mistaken. So I think youre just mistaken.
No he didn't explicitly call us stupid... It comes through like that because
of the incessant Genesis pushing.

As for the Lexus/Toyota connection. I don't have time to read back
through the 400 previous posts across 2 different threads. The one I
quoted 5 or so posts ago has it in parenthesis in case you didn't notice
Old 07-30-08, 07:00 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

a fancy 50K Toyota.
I never once stated that I personally feel Lexus is nothing more than a fancy Toyota. I simply pointed out the fact that many European luxury car owners say this about Lexus, and they do! It's just as silly to dismiss the Genesis as "just another Hyundai" as it is for certain people to dismiss Lexus as "nothing more than a fancy Toyota".
Old 07-30-08, 07:06 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

No he didn't explicitly call us stupid... It comes through like that because
of the incessant Genesis pushing.

As for the Lexus/Toyota connection. I don't have time to read back
through the 400 previous posts across 2 different threads. The one I
quoted 5 or so posts ago has it in parenthesis in case you didn't notice
So if he never called you/us stupid then why would you say that he called us stupid for buying a 50k toyota? Unless you feel stupid.. do you? because I sure dont.

Also, about the lexus/toyota connection... if you dont have time to read the posts you shouldnt post that he keeps making the connection that the lexus is a fancy toyota, because he has NOT. We lexus owners have stated that bmw and mb guys have criticized lexus owners by saying its a fancy toyota or a toyota in a tux or its a well dressed camry etc....
Old 07-30-08, 07:15 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwaters
I never once stated that I personally feel Lexus is nothing more than a fancy Toyota. I simply pointed out the fact that many European luxury car owners say this about Lexus, and they do! It's just as silly to dismiss the Genesis as "just another Hyundai" as it is for certain people to dismiss Lexus as "nothing more than a fancy Toyota".
That's cool, but tossing out those statements can stir things up quite
a bit.
Old 07-30-08, 08:26 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
And Gman, I didnt want to post this but I guess I will to back up my statement when I say I probably wont buy one for whatever reasons. I wont get one because I can afford a car a little more pricey to my liking.
Well thats your reason why you would never buy a Genesis, like I said earlier, there are many reason why people would not buy a $42,000 Hyundai, and yours is just one of them.

Did you guys notice that the word Hyundai is not anywhere to be found on the outside of the Genesis. Maybe they want people to think that its a BMW, Lexus or a MB and be amazed when they realized that it is Hyundai. Its almost like Hyundai dont want people to assoicate the Genesis with the Hyundai brand name.
Old 07-30-08, 08:37 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Well thats your reason why you would never buy a Genesis, like I said earlier, there are many reason why people would not buy a $42,000 Hyundai, and yours is just one of them.

Did you guys notice that the word Hyundai is not anywhere to be found on the other of the Genesis. Maybe they want people to think that its a BMW, Lexus or a MB and be amazed when they realized that it is Hyundai. Its almost like Hyundai dont want people to assoicate the Genesis with the Hyundai brand name.
Yeap I can complain about my GS all I want, I own one. You on the the other hand wont even test drive a Genesis. You read other peoples reviews and based on that you make your decision.

Yes Ive noticed that there isnt the word Hyundai on the car exterior. Esp on the front grill NO badge. Do you think they forgot to put it there? lol That was their intention all along. To minimize Hyundai badges.
Old 07-30-08, 09:25 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
most people that are into cars or who are car enthusiast will not buy a $45,000 Hyundai.
Well then it's a good thing that car enthusiasts make up a tiny fraction of automobile owners.

In any event, the Hyundai Genesis is an excellent vehicle. It's competitive with cars like the Lexus GS (big deal if it's not "better") - AND it costs quite a bit less - AND it has an excellent warranty. It's not a cheap car by any means. And it's not "entry level" luxury. Sure, there are a few things about it that could be better - like fake wood - also found in the new Cadillac Escalade.

It's not the perfect automobile - but it's very competitive with some top tier luxury models. That is a feat in itself for a company like Hyundai. While everyone else is playing at the top of their game (with very little room for improvement) - Hyundai is improving by leaps and bounds - slowly but surely leveling the playing field. Especially when companies like Lexus and Mercedes are being criticized for lower than usual quality...
Old 07-30-08, 10:09 PM
LexFather

Closed, this is going nowhere.

I have to say, our forum is going to be as nice as it gets to being open to a Hyundai, one that I have said I liked. You cannot PUSH It down peoples throats and expect everyone to love it.

True auto enthusiasts respect other peoples opinions, not make fun of them b/c they don't agree with how you feel.