GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs. Hyundai Genesis ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 03:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
Wow.. to each his own I guess. Surely you can agree on this.. that 58k and some change sticker price is ridiculously absurd for that cts, and since the Genesis is so crappy in your standards the CTS must be worth every penny.?

To me,$58K for a CTS is as absurd as $40K for a Hyundai.
Old 07-24-08, 03:35 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427

To me,$58K for a CTS is as absurd as $40K for a Hyundai.

I guess time will only tell.. Will the Genesis be a bust or will it help prosper Hyundai. There will always be people who feel a lexus will never be better or can compete against MB and BMW, and now there are people who think Hyundai can never compete against lexus.(not best lexus but merely compete)...

I shall test drive one this wknd and see how it is.
Old 07-24-08, 03:46 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I guess time will only tell.. Will the Genesis be a bust or will it help prosper Hyundai. There will always be people who feel a lexus will never be better or can compete against MB and BMW, and now there are people who think Hyundai can never compete against lexus.(not best lexus but merely compete)...

I shall test drive one this wknd and see how it is.
Again,Hyundai should go with a higher end name.
Genesis would even work.
I can see why they didn't go that route because the expense of new name showrooms would be high and the execs don't know if a $40K Hyundai will sell.
I actually think they would have a better shot of being sucessful going that route.

The problem is Hyundai has always been known for cheap cars.
The Sonata doesn't sell well.The Azera bombed.
Elantras and the Santa Fe keep them afloat.
Hyandai also owns KIA.
Old 07-24-08, 03:52 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Again,Hyundai should go with a higher end name.
Genesis would even work.
I can see why they didn't go that route because the expense of new name showrooms would be high and the execs don't know if a $40K Hyundai will sell.
I actually think they would have a better shot of being sucessful going that route.

The problem is Hyundai has always been known for cheap cars.
The Sonata doesn't sell well.The Azera bombed.
Elantras and the Santa Fe keep them afloat.
Hyandai also owns KIA.

So Hyundai will always be known for cheap cars? 10,20 years from now? Whats the point of this Genesis? They are trying to move up the ladder and there will always be critics knocking all the short comings of Hyundai. Its not even funny how wrong you are when you say the Genesis wont sell. You dont think they'll sell even a few? Just with the price tag alone they'll sell the amount they intend to. Since you and I have the perfect car ever made(GS350) We dont have to worry bout cheap cars like the Genesis. right?
Old 07-24-08, 03:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Remember decades ago, Americans had trouble buying a vehicle with the japanese nameplate. A generation later, people are buying Toyotas left and right. Hyundai was cheap a long time ago, but the next gen may dismiss that fact if the Genesis brand keeps up. The Benz and BMW guys were criticizing that no one would pay $40k for a Toyota in tux. We called those guys ignorant and biased. 20 years later, we now have Lexus guys rephrasing the same comment to the Genesis.
Old 07-24-08, 04:01 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

So Hyundai will always be known for cheap cars? 10,20 years from now? Whats the point of this Genesis? They are trying to move up the ladder and there will always be critics knocking all the short comings of Hyundai. Its not even funny how wrong you are when you say the Genesis wont sell. You dont think they'll sell even a few? Just with the price tag alone they'll sell the amount they intend to. Since you and I have the perfect car ever made(GS350) We dont have to worry bout cheap cars like the Genesis. right?
10,20 years from now?
We're talking about Hyundai marketing a $40K car today.
Seems Hyundai isn't to confident about sales either.They're only making a limited amount of V8s for the US.
A future $5K rebate will help Genesis V6 sales.
Hell,they had a $2K rebate on a Elantra.
In conversation,mention the Genesis list prices to relatives,co workers and friends.
Watch their reaction.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-24-08 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 04:08 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That $58K CTS is strange.

Base MSRPs

CTS $35K
CTS AWD $38K

The kitchen sink options package is about $10K - I don't see how you can get a CTS AWD up to $58K. $51K or so would appear to be the absolute max sticker.

Last edited by drpepper; 07-24-08 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 04:09 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

10,20 years from now?
Seems Hyundai isn't to confident about sales either.They're only making a limited amount of V8s.
In conversation,mention the Genesis list prices to relatives,co workers and friends.
Watch their reaction.
Once again, if you didnt read what ive been posting. They are testing the waters to see how well this does. Baby steps, no car company in histry has DROPPED a whole line of luxury cars in one year.
Well Im glad your lexus biased cuz I love lexus's too. Im not interested in convincing to you that its a good car just merely pointing out the fact you havent even test drove one and you made claims that it the TL handles better and the CTS for 58k is better . lol
Old 07-24-08, 04:14 PM
LexFather

10,20 years from now?
Seems Hyundai isn't to confident about sales either.They're only making a limited amount of V8s for the US.
Watch their reaction.
FYI, ALL car makers limit V-8 sedan sales, they are not big sellers. Lexus might sell 300 GS 460s a month. Also, with the higher fuel costs, V-8 sales are plummeting.

I am not saying that people won't scoff at a 40k Hyundai (hell they scoff at 40k Acuras, Infiniti's, Lincolns, etc). What I am saying is outside not having a premium nameplate, the car is a great value.

Old 07-24-08, 04:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Once again, if you didnt read what ive been posting. They are testing the waters to see how well this does. Baby steps, no car company in histry has DROPPED a whole line of luxury cars in one year.
Well Im glad your lexus biased cuz I love lexus's too. Im not interested in convincing to you that its a good car just merely pointing out the fact you havent even test drove one and you made claims that it the TL handles better and the CTS for 58k is better . lol
I'm really not Lexus biased.
I like the 5 series BMW a bit more.I just don't like being nickled and dimed for every option which makes the 5 series cost more than the GS.Typical BMW pricing.

I'm not an Infinity fan,tho.
Handling is not a big deal for me.If it was,I wouldn't have bought a GS.303 HP works for me too.I don't need 368HP.If HP was so important to me,I'd buy a 425 HP model from Chrysler.
Old 07-24-08, 04:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
FYI, ALL car makers limit V-8 sedan sales, they are not big sellers. Lexus might sell 300 GS 460s a month. Also, with the higher fuel costs, V-8 sales are plummeting.

I am not saying that people won't scoff at a 40k Hyundai (hell they scoff at 40k Acuras, Infiniti's, Lincolns, etc). What I am saying is outside not having a premium nameplate, the car is a great value.
Hey,I agree.
It's the nameplate that may kill sales.
Old 07-24-08, 04:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
Remember decades ago, Americans had trouble buying a vehicle with the japanese nameplate. A generation later, people are buying Toyotas left and right. Hyundai was cheap a long time ago, but the next gen may dismiss that fact if the Genesis brand keeps up. The Benz and BMW guys were criticizing that no one would pay $40k for a Toyota in tux. We called those guys ignorant and biased. 20 years later, we now have Lexus guys rephrasing the same comment to the Genesis.
There is one main difference. Benz/BMW guys were critizing a Lexus. Lexus etc guys are skeptical of a Hyundai.

That will happen, given the badge and still, their past reputation. Yes, things today with the company are very different but many cannot and will not forget their past. With Toyota, tons of people had the absolute best experience so when Lexus came, it was an easier sell to non-traditional buyers.

I want to remind everyone a company does not just make a new badge. It takes years and billions to research and develop and roll out a new brand.

Old 07-24-08, 04:27 PM
LexFather

Hey,I agree.
It's the nameplate that may kill sales.
I do not disagree. Hyundai is taking a big chance here. We will see with sales results in upcoming months.

Old 07-24-08, 04:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I do not disagree. Hyundai is taking a big chance here. We will see with sales results in upcoming months.
Can we really tell by early sales?
Maybe.
I was going to use the rebadged GTO early success and death after two years but it's a different type car.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-24-08 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 04:53 PM
LexFather

Can we really tell by early sales?
Maybe.
I was going to use the rebadged GTO early success and death after two years but it's a different type car.
well we can come to some early conclusions.I hope dealers have a good mix of cars to sell to consumers. surely they will have lease deals and rebates. I just saw an ad for infiniti 0 percent APR for 72 months! that's is cheap GM advertising/approach

Quick Reply: GS350 vs. Hyundai Genesis ???