GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs. Hyundai Genesis ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 06:11 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Status Symbol

Originally Posted by valgs350
The Genesis would be something I would be proud to drive. I never liked Hyundai before but I like the Genesis ...
I think for the people that think the Genesis is not a good car are fooling themselves, it's going to be a very very good car. Cars like anything, are a status symbol item, just like the clothing we wear and the houses we own. Does anyone need to buy a 4 bedroom/3 bath 4000 sq. ft. home, when they could live easily in a small 3 bedroom/2 bath cape cod? Does anyone really need to buy Kobe beef, when USDA certified is probably just as good? Do people really need to go to a boutique and get a pedicure and manicure for hundreds of dollars? All... probably not.

It's all about feeling good about where you're at and showing that "hey other people, I've made it to a higher level of comfort in life..." Not everyone can afford a Ferrari, not everyone can afford a Lamborghini, but I'm sure if we had the money, probably all of us would go out and buy one, just to say "hey, I own a Ferrari..."

The same for the typical MB/BMW/Lexus owner, we've reached a level in our lives where we want to drive a "better" automobile with a higher status symbol. Some would say "that's stupid" but I ask you then, do you still own a 19" tube TV? It's still just a TV, why buy a 60" flat LCD? Do you drive a Hyundai Elantra? It's just as good as any other car with four wheels and an engine. Do you buy clothing from Wal-mart, it's still the same cotton and polyester as any other manufacturer ? If not, then don't saying buying a "luxo" vehicle is stupid, it's just a status symbol, like everything else we choose to buy...
Old 07-27-08, 06:36 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if the Genesis gets great reliability reports after the first year or two, it will be right up there with Lexus. I remember when Lexus first came out, no one new what it was. The reliability reports put it at the top of the heap.

If it's a great car a cheap price, I'll eventually get one!
Old 07-27-08, 08:11 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, this car is causing discussions in bmw and m5 boards? Funny stuff. I like this car but comparing it to M5's? I dont think that should ever happen, maybe 50 years from now? haha wishful thinking I guess.

This Genesis is a rookie, Its got a long way to go. I will be test driving it today. Will post a review later tonight.
Old 07-27-08, 08:15 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
Wow, this car is causing discussions in bmw and m5 boards? Funny stuff. I like this car but comparing it to M5's? I dont think that should ever happen, maybe 50 years from now? haha wishful thinking I guess.

This Genesis is a rookie, Its got a long way to go. I will be test driving it today. Will post a review later tonight.
Looking forward to your review! - I want to test drive one also but I have not got around to it yet.
Old 07-27-08, 09:22 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i've always paid no attention to hyundai's warranty, until today.

the 10 year 100k is for powertrain only. I thought it was a bumper to bumper.
almost all cars can pass 100k without anything breaking in the powertrain.

there's only a 5 year 60k bumper to bumper. which sucks as much as the next car brand.
most things that break are covered only under bumper-bumper. once that steering wheel rod or whatever breaks, you pay the arm/leg.
Old 07-27-08, 11:55 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i've always paid no attention to hyundai's warranty, until today.

the 10 year 100k is for powertrain only. I thought it was a bumper to bumper.
almost all cars can pass 100k without anything breaking in the powertrain.

there's only a 5 year 60k bumper to bumper. which sucks as much as the next car brand.
most things that break are covered only under bumper-bumper. once that steering wheel rod or whatever breaks, you pay the arm/leg.
That still kicks the crap out of Lexus or toyota warranties....
Old 07-27-08, 12:54 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Default My test drive review: Hyundai Genesis V6

Hyundai Genesis V6 290hp - sticker price 36k

I test drove a Genesis today, Overall I was impressed with the car. Please do not get me wrong, There were plenty of shortcomings on Hyundai's part but my overall experience of this car was very good.

The interior felt a little cheap compared to the GS. The roof liner and dash looked mediocre compared to my GS but very very good compared to past Hyundai's. The leather stitched dash falls short compared to the LS/S class but atleast it has a leather stitched dash compared to the GS. Im not sure if the wood is fake but I prefer my wood in my GS. The seats were soft and comfortable and the back seat was very spacious. The console controls looked a little weird but might take a little getting used to but everything is where you can find it.( User friendly ) On to the drive.

As I pulled out of the lot I could already feel the power. It doesnt lack power in my opinion. Even tho it was the V6 it pulls pretty good. The car was smooth and quiet inside, not much road noise. The tires on the car were dunlop 5000, The same ones that came on my GS350AWD. I think if they were swapped out It might even ride smoother and quieter. I pushed it to see how it responds to the throttle and I wasnt dissapointed, Its no RACE car but it moves when you ask it to. I didnt get a chance to corner as much as I wouldve liked but the fastest corner I took was about 40mph and it wasnt as bad as I thought it wouldve been. Its not BMW but all the people saying this car handles poorly are mistaken. It handles pretty good. The turning radious was also good considering the size of the car. I took a few u-turns to see how it did and it did well. I did not notice any rattles or much engine noise while I was driving it, once again it was pretty quiet. I tried the sound system it was ok but im sure it falls short compared to the Mark Levinson. I opened the hood to see how the engine looks and sounds and I think it might be quieter than my GS. ( I think because of the direct inject? )
Last but not least the trunk space kicks the GS's trunk space in the ****. Its HUGE! I think I could fit 3 bodies in there.

I was pleased with the car overall and like i said before if money/price were a factor and I couldnt afford a new GS I would def. buy this Genesis. Also after this test drive I would most def. buy this over the current generation TL.

Here are some pics of the car I drove.

One question to JWATERS: Your Genesis has the genesis logo on the hood? because the one I test drove didnt have ANYTHING on the hood. I remember on your car you had a little logo on the hood. Weird..

Sorry for the long post!

Old 07-27-08, 01:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

:

like i said before if money/price were a factor and I couldnt afford a new GS I would def. buy this Genesis.
Exactly,that's why Hyundai will not get too many Lexus,BMW,Audi etc present buyers.Maybe more the loaded optioned Camry,Accord,Acura TSX type owners.
Old 07-27-08, 01:10 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Exactly,that's why Hyundai will not get too many Lexus,BMW,Audi etc present buyers.Maybe more the loaded optioned Camry,Accord,Acura TSX type owners.

Who said anything about getting present lexus buyers? There will be buyers for this car for sure. That is certain this car is a good deal. Its another issue if someone says its besting a GS/5series.... but compared to a TL, you will re-think it twice this car is BETTER than the TL in my opinion.
Old 07-27-08, 02:50 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

MY wife currently has an ES300 and will replace it in a year or so. This car got my attention, except for it currently is not Front or AW Drive. I will look closely at it however.

Is that Nav Screen as small as it looks in your Picture?
Old 07-27-08, 02:59 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

The thing is the car is a big step for Hyundai and its not a small step!

They won't get BMW, Lexus, etc buyers but I wouldn't make fun of Hyundai anymore, lol

It might steal sales from the ES350 but that is it!
Old 07-27-08, 02:59 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
MY wife currently has an ES300 and will replace it in a year or so. This car got my attention, except for it currently is not Front or AW Drive. I will look closely at it however.

Is that Nav Screen as small as it looks in your Picture?

That car wasnt equipped with NAV... I think the nav screen is about 7 inches?
Old 07-27-08, 03:39 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Who said anything about getting present lexus buyers? There will be buyers for this car for sure. That is certain this car is a good deal. Its another issue if someone says its besting a GS/5series.... but compared to a TL, you will re-think it twice this car is BETTER than the TL in my opinion.
Good deal or not,I'd opt for the '09 TL AWD over the Genesis.
Acura states the '09 will have much better handling and the interior design will be more driver oriented.
The V6 Genesis at $36K without NAV will be about the same cost as the AWD TL until the big Hyundai rebates start..
Old 07-27-08, 03:49 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Good deal or not,I'd opt for the '09 TL AWD over the Genesis.
Acura states the '09 will have much better handling and the interior design will be more driver oriented.
The V6 Genesis at $36K without NAV will be about the same cost as the AWD TL until the big Hyundai rebates start..
the 09 TL AWD? the Type SH? is this confirmed? or just rumors still?....

Edit: It hasnt come out yet and the 09 RL is out, you can check the acura website. As for the AWD TL pushing 330hp everyones talking about...I doubt the awd tl will be pushing 330 Unless its the type S. You can quote me on this.

Last edited by 1989Lexus; 07-27-08 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-27-08, 03:55 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

the 09 TL AWD? the Type SH? is this confirmed? or just rumors still?

According to Acura's website,it will be available this fall.Talk of the most power Acura engine in Acura history but didn't see any details on the engine.
Click on press release.

http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?initPath=FutureVehicles

Quick Reply: GS350 vs. Hyundai Genesis ???