GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need help understanding the inside door button

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 11:55 AM
etb717
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help understanding the inside door button

I have the 06 GS430. There is a button beside the driverside spotlight button labeled "door". When I press it, nothing happens. What is this button supposed to do?
Old 07-28-08, 12:01 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, that means the lights will be illuminated when your doors are open

people don't read manuals anymore?
Old 07-28-08, 12:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev

Guilty as charged!
The manual is as thick as the War and Peace novel.
Old 07-28-08, 12:10 PM
etb717
Driver School Candidate

So when I have the door open and the door lights are on, will pressing the button turn the door lights on and off immediately? I'm asking cause it doesn't do that. I'm wondering something is wrong with the button.
Old 07-28-08, 12:24 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you get out the car all the lights are off. When you get out let's say the driverside, the driverside spotlight will turn on. And same goes with the passengers as well. There is nothing wrong with the button. Don't use the door function if you want to turn it off and on at will.
Old 07-28-08, 12:33 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by etb717
So when I have the door open and the door lights are on, will pressing the button turn the door lights on and off immediately? I'm asking cause it doesn't do that. I'm wondering something is wrong with the button.
refer to below pictures

3 buttons, all you have to do is press the door once and leave it alone, lights will shut off upon door closure. From my memory, pressing it again when the door open is not going to do anything, you'll have to press the off buttons

door - lights will turn on when any doors are opened (not just the spot lights)
on - turn on the lights (not the spot lights)
off - turn lights off
Old 07-28-08, 12:37 PM
etb717
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense.
Old 07-28-08, 12:48 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

I know the manual is thick, just put it next to the toilet and it'll be done in no time

I didn't even sleep the first night of my car's delivery until I've finished reading the whole manual

just don't be like my friend that didn't know there was a flashlight in the glove compartment until the day she sold her bmw...
Old 07-28-08, 12:54 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I know the manual is thick, just put it next to the toilet and it'll be done in no time

I didn't even sleep the first night of my car's delivery until I've finished reading the whole manual

just don't be like my friend that didn't know there was a flashlight in the glove compartment until the day she sold her bmw...

Hey,I didn't get a flashlight or maybe I did.I better read the manual and see if there should be a flashlight somewhere.
I see Lexus flashlights on Ebay a lot.
Old 07-28-08, 12:58 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anymore? It's always been my understanding that men had genetic/gender-based exemption from reading manuals
Old 07-28-08, 01:02 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Hey,I didn't get a flashlight or maybe I did.I better read the manual and see if there should be a flashlight somewhere.
I see Lexus flashlights on Ebay a lot.
keyword: BMW

Originally Posted by drpepper
anymore? It's always been my understanding that men had genetic/gender-based exemption from reading manuals
well, that's why occasionally, we have noob post like this (no offense to OP) that we have to deal with

guys, just fyi, sign on to your lexus.com Owner' corner, they have electronics version of the manual there that you can search using keywords.
Old 07-28-08, 03:03 PM
MassGS
Driver School Candidate

The GS owners manual comes with a summary, booklet-style owners manual of the stuff you are supposed to really need to know, plus separate booklets for the Navi, Bluetooth, tires and warranty. The package is so fat in its little carrying case that it doesn't fit in the glove box.
Old 07-28-08, 03:07 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

^^

there is a strap beneath the first aid kit in the trunk, i believe that's for the manual, the whole thing fits in there perfectly.
Old 07-28-08, 04:11 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

over the past few months there have been several occasions when i wanted to point out that i missed the old school days when people used to read the manual or lurk and search CL before posting a question that had been discussed many times. but i figured that would brinbg a justifiable 'that's a good story grandpa'. using the electronic verion on lexus owner site is a very good tip.
Old 07-28-08, 05:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

^^

there is a strap beneath the first aid kit in the trunk, i believe that's for the manual, the whole thing fits in there perfectly.
Actually that strap is there for the first aid kit, not the owners manual. The owners manual portfolio fits in the glove box as long as you don't have the additional accessory manuals and any other pamphlets stuffed in there.

Quick Reply: Need help understanding the inside door button