GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Smart key is not smart anymore :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 07:51 AM
collieswan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx300

i don't know how to use this site very well. can you tell me if the parts for an rx300 1999 would be expensive thank you
Old 07-29-08, 08:34 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by collieswan
i don't know how to use this site very well. can you tell me if the parts for an rx300 1999 would be expensive thank you
yes.. very very very expensive...

as expensive as about why you posted your rx300 question on a 3rd Gen GS forum...

back to OP, no way it worked before and it doesn't work now if you didn't get it reprogrammed at your dealer during the 1k for the lexus personalized setting

factory setting, if you only touch the driver door, only driver door will be unlocked, if you want to open other passenger door, just touch the driver side rear passenger door to open. OR you can reprogram it at the dealer

guess you wouldn't know that because you don't bother reading anything that comes with car, why should we bother looking up info for you when you are too lazy to find it yourself.
Old 07-29-08, 08:45 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whlkev
yes.. very very very expensive...

as expensive as about why you posted your rx300 question on a 3rd Gen GS forum...

back to OP, no way it worked before and it doesn't work now if you didn't get it reprogrammed at your dealer during the 1k for the lexus personalized setting

factory setting, if you only touch the driver door, only driver door will be unlocked, if you want to open other passenger door, just touch the driver side rear passenger door to open. OR you can reprogram it at the dealer

guess you wouldn't know that because you don't bother reading anything that comes with car, why should we bother looking up info for you when you are too lazy to find it yourself.
You can get parts for the RX300 for two or three dollars but maybe $3 is considered expensive
Old 07-29-08, 09:34 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Back on topic, A day or so before you get ready to pick up your new car they have a list of options that allow you to customise the car. One of those questions asked is do you want all doors to unlock or do you want just the drivers door to unlock when you unlock the car. You can change the options for free for a year, after that there is a charge. I didn't read the whole manual but when I skimmed through it I noticed there are instructions to DIY
Old 07-29-08, 09:43 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silvervett
Back on topic, A day or so before you get ready to pick up your new car they have a list of options that allow you to customise the car. One of those questions asked is do you want all doors to unlock or do you want just the drivers door to unlock when you unlock the car. You can change the options for free for a year, after that there is a charge. I didn't read the whole manual but when I skimmed through it I noticed there are instructions to DIY
not true, the Lexus Personalized Setting will only be applied once for free during the 1k mi complimentary service, after that, the dealer can charge or not as good gesture.

"your vehicle includes a variety of electronic features that can be programmed to your preferences. Programming of these features is performed once at no charge, provided you obtain the service at the 30day/1000 mile scheduled maintenance service. Programming of your Lexus Personalized Setting requires special equipment and may be performed only by an authorized Lexus Dealership. "
Old 07-29-08, 09:45 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by collieswan
I have questions for you, is food expensive, how long does it take to get to the store, and how much does a TV set cost?
Old 07-29-08, 10:21 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not true, the Lexus Personalized Setting will only be applied once for free during the 1k mi complimentary service, after that, the dealer can charge or not as good gesture.

"your vehicle includes a variety of electronic features that can be programmed to your preferences. Programming of these features is performed once at no charge, provided you obtain the service at the 30day/1000 mile scheduled maintenance service. Programming of your Lexus Personalized Setting requires special equipment and may be performed only by an authorized Lexus Dealership. "
I just had my 15k service done and since I've owned the car I've had them change the settings 3 times with the third time done while the car was in for the 15 service and I haven't been charged yet!!!
Old 07-29-08, 10:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You must have a very understanding dealer. By the books, it is suppose to be done once for free at the 1000 mile service.
Old 07-29-08, 10:38 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, you can change this particular setting yourself - page 23
Old 07-29-08, 10:50 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drpepper
Again, you can change this particular setting yourself - page 23
it's page 27

Old 07-29-08, 11:41 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
You must have a very understanding dealer. By the books, it is suppose to be done once for free at the 1000 mile service.
Yeah they are really nice. Maybe it helps that it's my second Lexus but I've always had the same service supervisor?!
Old 07-30-08, 10:52 PM
joedoe
Rookie

Just touch the rear door handle and all doors will be opened!
Old 07-31-08, 06:44 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I thought it was a year, I had my auto headlight setting turn on changed to a different delay setting, the turn on was delayed till it go to the darkest setting, it got it changed close to a year after I got the 07 RX400H. I confess to not reading the manual for the RX but I don't recall any way to change any of the settings on the RX.

You can always depend on the dealers to be consistent, I happen to hate DRL and asked the NY dealer where I got the GS if the DRL could be turned off, they said it wasn't possible. After I got the car to SC I read the GS manual and it stated the DRL could be turned off, I asked the SC dealer and he did it for me but I only had about 100 on the car at the time so I don't know if he would have charged to do it if it had more than 1,000 miles. I did get the impression from the service writer that they [SC dealer] would be willing to change the setting for free in the future
Old 07-31-08, 06:50 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by joedoe
Just touch the rear door handle and all doors will be opened!
Not necessarily. Mine didn't work this way (and it was annoying). I changed it so that all doors unlock from any handle using the steps in the manual. The majority of the time, I'm by myself, but I find it most convenient when I'm driving family or friends.

And I did consider the arguments that it's a "security enhancement" to only have the driver's door open from the driver's door handle. I figure that someone who's lurking near my car prepared to commit armed theft isn't going to abandon the effort just because he pulls on the handle and discovers that I didn't unlock all of the doors. I think such a person might have a Plan B

In the unlikely event that I do have that concern, a single press on the fob only unlocks the driver's door.
Old 07-31-08, 06:53 AM
drpepper
Instructor

it's page 27

Sorry--page 23 of the 2006 manual, page 27 of the 2008 manual, and probably something similar for 2007

Quick Reply: Smart key is not smart anymore :(