GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

One More Time - Upgrade Stock Lexus Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 11:26 PM
MrFC1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One More Time - Upgrade Stock Lexus Stereo?

Okay, sorry to repeat this, but I never clearly received any solid answers on this. Yes, I am hugely dissappointed with the stock stereo system. No, I didn't listen too hard when I bought it, thinking it would be adequate. but the Cashmere red caught my eye and I ended up with no ML. Damn I wish I went white w/ ML :-(

Anyways, is there any simple yet effective way to help the stereo out:

1. Can I trade out speakers for better sound?
2. Would any amps help?
3. Anything else I might be missing?

I am just after better clarity. I hear very little nuances in music and voices, having to jack the sound way up to get anything decent. My FX35 Bose seemed way better than this.

I adore this car otherwise, but am sorely dissappointed in this aspect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx
Old 07-29-08, 11:34 PM
safricags
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easy one to answer, my sound was the same as yours. i put 2x 6 inch dls competition subs running of a dls amp in the boot. change the front speakers out with dls speakers and you will b
Old 07-30-08, 05:48 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I outlined all pieces needed to completely change your system, and keep your stock interface on your last post....

what more do you need... that covered DSP, speakers, amps, crossover, and capacitor... that would be your whole system, short of the dynamat installed and wiring to the battery.... and fuse...

...more importantly, I did the conversion, so this isn't a theoretical solution, it's in my car... and my SUV ( GS300 / RX300 )
Old 07-30-08, 08:20 PM
MrFC1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NAZTY97
I outlined all pieces needed to completely change your system, and keep your stock interface on your last post....

what more do you need... that covered DSP, speakers, amps, crossover, and capacitor... that would be your whole system, short of the dynamat installed and wiring to the battery.... and fuse...

...more importantly, I did the conversion, so this isn't a theoretical solution, it's in my car... and my SUV ( GS300 / RX300 )
Well, that wasn't my post but I did find what you posted in the other thread you are referring to. All I can say is I'm not trying to blow my windows out, I'm just trying to get better sound. Are there components that could make it sound better in terms of clarity without having to point 1000 watts at my head while confined in a small space?
Old 08-05-08, 08:18 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

The volume **** is the controller of "blowing" your ears / windows out. The power factor will determine your quality of sound / clarity, and amount of deep, clear, accurate bass. Most people's misconsception is power = volume only,.. when the reality is, you can have a third of that power, the system be loud, and sound like *****...

The 500watt amp powers the interior speakers ( 125 watts per channel ), and the subs get 460 watts,... so no huge amounts of power to any one speaker, but enough for them to play crystal clearly, and for you to feel the bass if you chose to.

I'd suggest going and listening to a system of similar setup, at a moderate volume, before wasting money to get barely better than what you already have, .... and stock systems totally suck... every car I have ever had, regardless if it came with a Nakamichi, BOSE, Clarion, or Pioneer stock unit, got trashed and replaced...

...and adding a sub is not going to change the quality of your sound.. may give a different tone bass wise, but if you use the same amplifier, your power source didn't improve, and speakers play what is put into them...
Old 10-21-09, 04:19 PM
jaguar_83
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually am looking to blow out my windows!! Can you point me out to the thread you guys are referring to? Thanks.
Old 10-21-09, 07:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I used to be so into stereo systems. I have been very happy with the stock systems in my G35 and GS350. I remember having a 900 watt system in a Prelude. It was hardcore to have that kind of power in a 2 seater. when I would open the sun roof and kept the window up it sounded like you were in a helicopter secondary to the resonance through the sun roof. I used to feel kind of ghetto when I was at a light and people wouldnt even pull next to me but it was fun. I am a bit more conservative now then I was in college