GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Starting to Regret Getting My GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 04:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Starting to Regret Getting My GS

Well i always loved GS' and when i saw the 3rd gen GS i fell in love with it and started saving. Parted out my car and parted out a project car and continued to drive my car saving up a good bit of change to help me with the GS. I guess its my fault for not looking into it more since i never owned an AWD car before but living in the northeast and snow i was kind of drawn to the AWD more. At this point i really wish i would have bought a RWD GS. I love the car however I hate how i can not mod it to my likings. Not being able to lower it, not being able to run a staggered setup, etc... Doing so runs the risk of damaging the car. Maybe I should look into trading it for a RWD GS

/rant
Old 07-31-08, 05:01 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Penn Snow

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
I guess its my fault for not looking into it more since i never owned an AWD car before but living in the northeast and snow i was kind of drawn to the AWD more.
How much snow do you get in PA? Do you live north like in Pitts. or down south? AWD for NorthEast is just for "insurance" for those once-in-a-while big snow storms. If any snow less than 4", you can get by with RWD and good snow tires, with gentle use of the gas pedal. I've never gotten stuck with my Integra (FWD though and stick) and I have an RX for backup. What color is your car? Since you can't lower it reasonably, then perhaps trade for a darker color (like black) so you can't see the wheel gap as much.
Old 07-31-08, 05:04 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

ha all my cars have been black except my project car which was a hok organic green but i never finished it lol. i live right outside philly but the last 2 years was weird we only got snow like 3-4 times in the winter but when it came it was a good 4-6 inches each time. ive debated just getting a cheap beater car for the winter to drive in the snow so if i wreck it, i wont care.
Old 07-31-08, 05:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you have gotten a RWD, the 1st snow strom, you would regret not getting a AWD.
Old 07-31-08, 05:47 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

This is why I had to go to South Atlanta to get my car. I wish Lexus dealerships were more like BMW / MB, where you don't have to make long trips just to get the car you want.

And I don't know why so many people are being so paranoid about RWD and snow. I've had a 2001 Lexus GS before, it was also RWD car. Yes, it was not the best car for snowy weather, but it was drivable. We do get severe snow storms here in NY, but who drives in that weather anyway? And the most important, winter here only lasts for 90 days / 2 months not more, the rest of the year its just raining.
Old 07-31-08, 05:53 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you have gotten a RWD, the 1st snow strom, you would regret not getting a AWD.
well if i did drive it then it would be true but if i did get the RWD i would buy a cheap beater car for like 500 bucks to drive in the snow.

tanabe needs to come out with some awd lowering springs
Old 07-31-08, 05:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Probably be tough finding a RWD GS350 in PA.
A GS460 would be nice.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-31-08 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-31-08, 06:08 AM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its bugging you that bad I say go for the trade and get a beater before you get in too deep with the AWD gs. Like other people have said, ya when it snows you wish you had awd, but think about it....out of the whole year, how much are you really affected by the snow. Doesnt sound like you're getting your moneys worth if you have to sacrafice modding your car to your likings (all car lovers know theres always something else you want to mod on your car and it sounds like awd is keeping you from really being happy with your car) to get by for a small fraction of the year.... just my 2 cents.

Over in Seattle, we hardly get snow. This past winter was the worst in 10 years. We got snow 3-4 times, no more than 4 inches on the roads but I had z rated tires on so I said screw it, I just wont drive. Used a few sick and optional days off at work and walked everywhere. I hope to be able to find TTwheels (need them to fit over my TT brakes) by october and get winter tires mounted, but if not Ill be parked for a couple weeks (total) again this winter. A little inconvenient but you gotta do what you gotta do for the love of cars right?

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 07-31-08 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-31-08, 06:32 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

well that is true, it is stopping me from modding how i want, however like joeb said, its nearly impossible to find a RWD GS in this area. my main concern is just lowering the car. i hate lowering springs but if thats all they made id settle for them.
Old 07-31-08, 06:35 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 2nd Gen GS, lowered to 1" gap on coils, but hate to raise it, I drive it in the snow, is not to bad, i do have a Accord for those really bad winter days...
Old 07-31-08, 06:51 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

i feel u 100%..
but modding ur awd is still doable..
i gave up waiting on springs, and decided to take the risk. thx to some dedicated awd owners here..
i REALLY wanted to go staggered, but didn't want any potential damage. i ended up ordering wheels w/ same widths all around, but bigger lips in the rear, so at least it will 'look' staggered..

i think all u need is snow tires for rwd. i was surprised to find out only awd was available in my area. there was no way i would pay over $1000 to have one shipped from florida.. oh well, i'm still happy with the car.
Old 07-31-08, 07:40 AM
rozGS430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that is true, it is stopping me from modding how i want, however like joeb said, its nearly impossible to find a RWD GS in this area.
i'll sell ya mine...07 GS430, Obsidian with Cashmere, ML, etc. 19k miles. It's loaded up pretty nice. you are right, though...i never ever see a RWD GS around here in Phila. but when i looked for this car i knew i wanted the 430...i never even considered the 350, AWD or not...we just don't get that much snow around here...really close to none this past winter...put it this way...i never had to shovel my driveway.
Old 07-31-08, 09:12 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i always loved GS' and when i saw the 3rd gen GS i fell in love with it and started saving. Parted out my car and parted out a project car and continued to drive my car saving up a good bit of change to help me with the GS. I guess its my fault for not looking into it more since i never owned an AWD car before but living in the northeast and snow i was kind of drawn to the AWD more. At this point i really wish i would have bought a RWD GS. I love the car however I hate how i can not mod it to my likings. Not being able to lower it, not being able to run a staggered setup, etc... Doing so runs the risk of damaging the car. Maybe I should look into trading it for a RWD GS

/rant

I agree, I hate that I cant lower the car because theres nothing out for it yet, BUT im sure there will be something sooner or later. Its still fairly new.
You can run the staggered look without really running it. You can get the same width but have the rear lip a little bigger to make it look like youre running staggered. You should check it out. Its pretty cool.
Old 07-31-08, 09:17 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well if i did drive it then it would be true but if i did get the RWD i would buy a cheap beater car for like 500 bucks to drive in the snow.

tanabe needs to come out with some awd lowering springs
PA has what, 5 months of winter? You don't want to drive a beater 5 months out of the year. Nov-Mid March is **** in Ohio and PA.
Old 07-31-08, 09:22 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I am confused as to why an awd car cannot be modded? What about all the evos,stis, and in the near future all the GTR's that will be getting modified? Can someone fill me in why the GS is an exception?

Quick Reply: Starting to Regret Getting My GS