GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mark Levinson vs Aftermarket Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 03:37 AM
user 839270
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I would recommend against the 15" sub as well. You will pick up, enhance, and create major rattles in your car. Also, 15" subs are more designed for bass than HF (high fidelity). I would go with a 12" or replace your factory ML sub with a high quality 10". Also, I would HIGHLY recommend NOT using your factory 12vt wire to your amp. I haven't seen it but I would suspect that it is not of the awg you would need to run to a 1000.1 Monoblock Kicker amp. You need to run at LEAST 4 or 6 AWG wire to that amp or you risk blowing fuses or worse. Honestly though, what exactly are you looking to accomplish? Are you looking for base? are you looking for high fidelity? You will end up rattling your car to death any Lexus cars are always difficult to get bass through the back seat. You will end up having to run it pretty hard and it will defeat the purpose.

Brother, if you have a ML system, I would honestly keep it stock unless you have the budget to dump the money into it to keep it sounding good. I know the erge is there to have a huge system, but you will end up taking away from the sounds rather than adding anything good to it.
i'm sorry, i did not mean running my postive power cable from my factory amp to my mono amp. i was planning to use the factory amp as a remote lead to the amp. would that cause any problem?

as far as quality, i am looking for some hard hitting bass, which i ended up buying the 15" l7. it's kind of too late, since i order the parts already
i just feel the ml system lacks the bass. i'm happy with the high and mids of the ml, but the bass.

i'm looking for some advice as to wiring the system. also, is the 10 farad capacitor an overkill?

dave
Old 08-27-08, 06:06 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 15" sub might give you the bass you are looking for. The remote lead from the factory ML will be fine to use. Just be ready to mat and foam everything in the car. It is going to rattle like you've never heard. The build quality of a GS is outstanding, however, they tend to have small panel rattles and the movement of a 15" sub will uncover them all.
Old 08-27-08, 08:21 AM
rmedine
Driver School Candidate

The ML system is increadible. I have always upgraded my sound systems in my cars until this point. Maybe I'm just getting older now but I am so impressed with the sound I don't want to do anything to change it. I'm a music producer and constantly use the ML system as a guide in mixing. If ML can't expose any problems with the mix, then its a good mix.

With the sound upgrades your risk screwing up the great balance in sound that the car has. Yea, it doesn't have the deep rumble that 15 in subs will give you but its damn good.

Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 08-27-08, 09:22 AM
user 839270
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rmedine
The ML system is increadible. I have always upgraded my sound systems in my cars until this point. Maybe I'm just getting older now but I am so impressed with the sound I don't want to do anything to change it. I'm a music producer and constantly use the ML system as a guide in mixing. If ML can't expose any problems with the mix, then its a good mix.

With the sound upgrades your risk screwing up the great balance in sound that the car has. Yea, it doesn't have the deep rumble that 15 in subs will give you but its damn good.

i'm definately want the bass upgrade. i love the high's and mid's from the ml system, but it lacks the bass that i'm looking for. i doubt i would "crank" the bass to max or near max.

my concern is the box i purchased. i wasnt thinking through when i picked out the box. it is a nice box to handle the bass, but it's "huge". i think i would only have 1/4 of my trunk left to put small things. oh well.

dave
Old 08-27-08, 10:11 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dguan51
i'm definately want the bass upgrade. i love the high's and mid's from the ml system, but it lacks the bass that i'm looking for. i doubt i would "crank" the bass to max or near max.

my concern is the box i purchased. i wasnt thinking through when i picked out the box. it is a nice box to handle the bass, but it's "huge". i think i would only have 1/4 of my trunk left to put small things. oh well.

dave
You did measure the box to see that it fits your trunk right??? The fact that it's "huge" rings alarm bells for me. If it doesn't fit, you will need to find a car stereo shop to custom build a box for you.
Old 08-27-08, 02:01 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I COMPLETELY agree with you! I'm also a music producer.

Old 08-27-08, 02:21 PM
rmedine
Driver School Candidate

I COMPLETELY agree with you! I'm also a music producer.

Looks alot like my place. Cords and equipment everywhere. Is that an Ibanez 4 string bass?...I've got the same one but a five string. I love it. Where can I hear some of your music, IronCobra? If you're interested check out my music at www.myspace.com/amplifireproductions and let me know what you think. I love getting outside opinions!

I'm glad you feel the same way about the ML system. Its incredible!
Old 08-27-08, 02:28 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Looks alot like my place. Cords and equipment everywhere. Is that an Ibanez 4 string bass?...I've got the same one but a five string. I love it. Where can I hear some of your music, IronCobra? If you're interested check out my music at www.myspace.com/amplifireproductions and let me know what you think. I love getting outside opinions!

I'm glad you feel the same way about the ML system. Its incredible!
I don't have anything online at the moment. I've been doing too much work for others lately.

What recording software are you using? I use Sonar 7 Producer, Reason 4.0. And about a dozen others that I rarely use.

Great mixes btw! What workstation are you using? or are you just using a MIDI processor?

Please add my company: www.myspace.com/OSPElite

Last edited by IronCobra; 08-27-08 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 03:47 PM
rmedine
Driver School Candidate

I don't have anything online at the moment. I've been doing too much work for others lately.

What recording software are you using? I use Sonar 7 Producer, Reason 4.0. And about a dozen others that I rarely use.

Great mixes btw! What workstation are you using? or are you just using a MIDI processor?

Please add my company: www.myspace.com/OSPElite
Thanks, just added your company! I started off years ago with just Reason 2.5 and a midi keyboard but since then I have upgraded...now I have:
Roland Fantom X8
Roland MC-909
Reason 3.0
Tascam FW-1082 for mixing
Cubase 4.

I'll still use reason from time to time cuz I've got some good sounds in there, but the Fantom is amazing. I have been wanting to switch over to ProTools but just don't have the time to deal with all of it. What type of music do you produce? If you would like some acappelas to remix I would be happy to email them to you to see what you could do. My other producer friends always love getting acappelas to remix. PM me with your contact info if you want.