GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS had a mini stroke yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-08, 02:02 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS had a mini stroke yesterday...

So I come out of the bookstore, fire up the car and shift into reverse, everything seems to be going as normal. Shift into drive and the whole screen goes blank. Hmm, that's odd, but whatever, so I continue to drive and the screen shows the back up camera (as I am going forward) then flashes to audio off (radio was still on), then goes blank, and nothing works. None of buttons, with the exception of the volume **** seemed to do anything. So I stop at a light, and restart the car, everything is fine. I'm not too worried about it, just kind of weird.
Old 08-10-08, 04:11 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Is there anything to be worried about? 4 yr warranty for the win. lol
Old 08-10-08, 05:56 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

uh oh. lexus is going the way of Mercedes.

electronics failing. plastic gears not working.

imagine you hit 50001 miles and get massive electronic failure. rain sensing windshield wipers go berserk when there is no water.

how bout that.........
Old 08-10-08, 06:01 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

your vais unit may not be perfectly plugged in, and may cause this....just a thought
Old 08-10-08, 07:51 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
your vais unit may not be perfectly plugged in, and may cause this....just a thought
I thought about it, but I had the unit professionally installed back in December. This is the first and only time I have ever had this type of problem. If it happens again then I'll be worried.
Old 08-10-08, 07:51 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dunnojack
uh oh. lexus is going the way of Mercedes.

electronics failing. plastic gears not working.

imagine you hit 50001 miles and get massive electronic failure. rain sensing windshield wipers go berserk when there is no water.

how bout that.........
I take it your speaking from experience?
Old 08-10-08, 08:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would take it in and have the shop take a look if it happens again. sounds like a electrical gremlin
Old 08-10-08, 08:49 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it is hot out my IS250 backup camera has not worked. When I shifted into reverse the screen was black with a squigly line that looked like a heart monitor graph. It did this once to me a long time ago, but has been happening more frequently as of late. I have already taken it to the dealer, but they could not find anything wrong. I made them document it though so as taht if it does fail after warranty then it is documented that there were problems when it was still in warranty.
Old 08-11-08, 04:15 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that's the crap i'm worried about. so many electronics. so many things to break.
and they say mercedes is unreliable because of electronic failure.

so far, my car is fine. i expect it to be since it's an 07 model. But mercs don't break until after the warranty either.

it sounds pessimistic, but i predict these will break:
swivel headlamps, touch screen, electronic tilt steering, and of course side mirrors.
it's gonna be costly fixing this car after warranty
Old 08-11-08, 11:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Xwakeboard
I thought about it, but I had the unit professionally installed back in December. This is the first and only time I have ever had this type of problem. If it happens again then I'll be worried.
seriously, no disrespect to anyone, but i don't really give a crap about "professional install" or whatever unless i know the people and have seen them work.

car detailing isn't my full time job but from my common sense, patience, and logic, i do better work than some of the "professionals".

car audio and wiring isn't my full time job neither, but with my knowledge on EE and carefulness i do installs far better than some shops as shown from what i have seen.

actually just the other day i did an install on a 08 gs350 with vaistech unit. now i don't know if that vaistech unit was crappy or the previous isntaller was an idiot, but i found the plugs all got jammed behind the radio, and the connector was so loose that one little jiggle and it would cause the screen or the whole radio to blank out (kind of like what you see here)

i don't know if it's related, but just my 2 cents
Old 08-11-08, 01:11 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
seriously,............ car detailing isn't my full time job but from my common sense, patience, and logic, i do better work than some of the "professionals".

car audio and wiring isn't my full time job neither, but with my knowledge on EE and carefulness i do installs far better than some shops as shown from what i have seen.

Henry - You are a perfectionist.

You can work on my cars any day...... I wish only I lived closer to OC. Your inputs have saved me from many a hassles.
Old 08-11-08, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
Henry - You are a perfectionist.

You can work on my cars any day...... I wish only I lived closer to OC. Your inputs have saved me from many a hassles.
lol on a practical note, most likely that's coz' i don't have too many 50k or 80k to spend on cars, so i better do it right
Old 08-11-08, 02:11 PM
skinny gs
Rookie

Romini is right. I did the install on my vaistech, and it would occaisionally go mute. I thought i had a defective unit, and when i took it apart, i noticed the plug to the radio from the vais unit did not "snap" in like the original factory harness. I then used a tie strip to make sure it was "tight", and have never had the same problem. It has been over a year now. BTW, i too am a perfectionist, I have restored cars professionally and as a hobby, and have been around that type of work all of my life. I would look to see if you have a less than optimal connection with the vais unit.
Old 08-11-08, 02:16 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
seriously, no disrespect to anyone, but i don't really give a crap about "professional install" or whatever unless i know the people and have seen them work.

car detailing isn't my full time job but from my common sense, patience, and logic, i do better work than some of the "professionals".

actually just the other day i did an install on a 08 gs350 with vaistech unit. now i don't know if that vaistech unit was crappy or the previous isntaller was an idiot, but i found the plugs all got jammed behind the radio, and the connector was so loose that one little jiggle and it would cause the screen or the whole radio to blank out (kind of like what you see here)

You do sound like quite the perfectionist. I wish you lived closer because I would trust you implicitly. I cannot tell you how good it is to hear that people still take pride in their work.
Old 08-12-08, 11:36 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would take it back to the installer and explain the symptoms you witnessed and have them double check their work...

Quick Reply: GS had a mini stroke yesterday...