GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Gs feels clusterophobic inside!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 11:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
unfortunately, I have to agree with this statement

55mph impact and i am still here..

Whew!!!

and the lights were still on after that collision.
Old 08-11-08, 03:38 PM
omniskye
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so speaking as a new 2008 GS350 owner, as well as a 2007 RX350 owner for the last 2 years, as well as a test driver of the ES, here are my thoughts:

i just picked up my new GS last week, and today we brought in our RX to the dealer for scheduled service, so i actually have an 2008 ES on hand as a loaner vehicle for the day. this is just my humble opinion as somebody who has actually driven all 3 cars in the last 2 days. also, i've gained a lot from others in this forum, so hopefully this helps others as they are debating between Lexuses. heck, they're all great but it just depends on what you're looking for.

in terms of looks, acceleration/performance..... hands-down the GS takes the prize. i'm biased, but i don't think there's another car under $55k (msrp) that looks better WITHOUT aftermarket upgrades (that is, stock upgrades only) than the GS. i don't feel "clustered" in the car, but compared to the ES, the rear legroom does feel smaller. and the trunk opening could be bigger. and with this point, i agree with the original poster. BUT, sure it's not as spacious relative to the ES, but i wouldn't say the GS makes one feel "clustered".

in terms of practicality for trunk opening space, headroom, rear legroom, etc.... i must say that the ES is better. the ES also feels smoother during the ride. the GS definitely has a sportier ride. so if you're looking purely for functionality / practicality, i like the ES more.

in terms of the RX, we love it a lot and think it's one of the best SUVs out there under $50k. great SUV.

obviously, in the end, i went for the looks and got the GS last week. hahahah. also, when i look at ES drivers, they're typically an older crowd, and i am still pretending to be young while i'm in my young 30s.

granted, i have a kid so i will admit that practicality played a role as i was considering between the ES or GS. in the end, i felt that the SUV we already owned was sufficient for family purposes and i wanted a "fun-ner" car, so i got the GS instead and i don't regret it one bit.
Old 08-11-08, 04:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by omniskye
so speaking as a new 2008 GS350 owner, as well as a 2007 RX350 owner for the last 2 years, as well as a test driver of the ES, here are my thoughts:

i just picked up my new GS last week, and today we brought in our RX to the dealer for scheduled service, so i actually have an 2008 ES on hand as a loaner vehicle for the day. this is just my humble opinion as somebody who has actually driven all 3 cars in the last 2 days. also, i've gained a lot from others in this forum, so hopefully this helps others as they are debating between Lexuses. heck, they're all great but it just depends on what you're looking for.

in terms of looks, acceleration/performance..... hands-down the GS takes the prize. i'm biased, but i don't think there's another car under $55k (msrp) that looks better WITHOUT aftermarket upgrades (that is, stock upgrades only) than the GS. i don't feel "clustered" in the car, but compared to the ES, the rear legroom does feel smaller. and the trunk opening could be bigger. and with this point, i agree with the original poster. BUT, sure it's not as spacious relative to the ES, but i wouldn't say the GS makes one feel "clustered".

in terms of practicality for trunk opening space, headroom, rear legroom, etc.... i must say that the ES is better. the ES also feels smoother during the ride. the GS definitely has a sportier ride. so if you're looking purely for functionality / practicality, i like the ES more.

in terms of the RX, we love it a lot and think it's one of the best SUVs out there under $50k. great SUV.

obviously, in the end, i went for the looks and got the GS last week. hahahah. also, when i look at ES drivers, they're typically an older crowd, and i am still pretending to be young while i'm in my young 30s.

granted, i have a kid so i will admit that practicality played a role as i was considering between the ES or GS. in the end, i felt that the SUV we already owned was sufficient for family purposes and i wanted a "fun-ner" car, so i got the GS instead and i don't regret it one bit.
Good post

Old 08-11-08, 08:18 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the same as Omniskye, which is why we have a RX and GS as well. Except we have 2 kids now.
Old 08-12-08, 05:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

He could have bought a Hyundai over the Camry and save another $5000 for his kid's college fund
Old 08-12-08, 05:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drewdogg80
I feel the same as Omniskye, which is why we have a RX and GS as well.
Make that three!
Old 08-12-08, 08:40 AM
nutzo4lexo
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
1. The ES is actually LARGER than the GS, thus bigger dimensions. Its been like that the last 2 generations.
2. Lexus bucked the trend by keeping the GS the same size as the last generation pretty much. The 2nd gen was actually 5 inches shorter than the 1st gen. I LOVE THIS, b/c I do not want a giant car and it seems every car just gets HUGE every new generation. The current A6, 5 and M35/45 are just huge to me, down to an Altima, Camry, Accord. Some people don't want giant buick sized cars.
3. The GS is a sports luxury sedan, the cockpit is very coupe like in fashion as the whole car, to give a very sporty feel inside. While the 5 series is clearly sportier the drive, the interior leaves me confused as its not sporty at all.

Overall, i do find the GS interior to need slightly more headroom and I wish the window sills were lower but its not too bad at all.

Sadly we live in a world where "bigger is better" and with all the competition getting HUGE (hell the new Jag XF is also huge for its class and now the new TL is 195 inches long, as long as the RL) so the next GS will probably get bigger.
Old 08-12-08, 01:04 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

If you're actually claustrophobic, it'd happen inside any car anyway.
Old 08-12-08, 01:09 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think what the OP was trying to say is that he and his wife needs to lose weight
Old 08-13-08, 01:20 AM
boaclub923
Rookie

um... so, u saying camry/BMW 330 is better than GS in terms of value?
cause, it's cheaper?
hum... i have an idea...
how about corolla? it's even cheaper than camry.
it has good MPG; oh! it even get four wheels and an engine!!
ohoh!! u know what? how about scion? it's even cheaper!!
and why not hyndai? it's even more cheap!!
they have good quality cars too!? just donno how long it last.
but hey! at least it moves!

bottom line: no matter which car u get; after a float, it will become a junk.

let me give u an advice,
take bus
Old 08-13-08, 03:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Coming out of an IS,the GS is a limo.
Old 08-13-08, 07:31 AM
MrFC1000
Driver School Candidate

Actually, check the interior dimensions - the ES and the GS are very comparable. The ES might look bigger on the outside, but the interiors (excl trunk) are extremely similar in size.

Seriously, compare them - I did as I was looking at both cars. Somehow the bloated look of the ES gives it the perception of size, but it's really not interior-wise, except for the smaller hump of course and the trunk.
Old 08-13-08, 07:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrFC1000
Actually, check the interior dimensions - the ES and the GS are very comparable. The ES might look bigger on the outside, but the interiors (excl trunk) are extremely similar in size.

Seriously, compare them - I did as I was looking at both cars. Somehow the bloated look of the ES gives it the perception of size, but it's really not interior-wise, except for the smaller hump of course and the trunk.
ES 350

Interior
Front Head Room: 37.4 in.
Front Hip Room: 55.9 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 57.3 in.
Rear Head Room: 36.8 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 56.3 in.
Rear Hip Room: 52.8 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.2 in.
Rear Leg Room: 35.9 in.
Luggage Capacity: 14.7 cu. ft.
Maximum Cargo Capacity: 15 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5

GS 350
Interior
Front Head Room: 37.8 in.
Front Hip Room: 54.4 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 56.3 in.
Rear Head Room: 37 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 55.1 in.
Rear Hip Room: 51.4 in.
Front Leg Room: 43.5 in.
Rear Leg Room: 36.4 in.
Luggage Capacity: 12.7 cu. ft.
Maximum Cargo Capacity: 13 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5

The GS actually has better front and rear leg room but the ES has more interior room in the other catagories within about 1 1/4 inches and 2 CF in the trunk..

I like the ES.I had a deposit on a Starfire ES 350 with the Ultra Luxury package but decided to go with the GS even for $6K more..
The negatives for me on the ES is the bland interior and no availability of black leather but I loved the soft ride..

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-13-08 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-13-08, 10:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Coming out of an IS,the GS is a limo.
hehe, coming from ls460l, the gs is very nimble

on a serious note, i actually wish the gs could be a tad bigger, just so to make the rear passengers a bit more comfortable
Old 08-13-08, 10:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
hehe, coming from ls460l, the gs is very nimble

on a serious note, i actually wish the gs could be a tad bigger, just so to make the rear passengers a bit more comfortable
My son in law just bought a loaded '08 LS460.Black/Cashmere.Very nice.Great ML sound.
Coming out of an IS,the passengers are a lot more comfortable in a GS.

Quick Reply: Gs feels clusterophobic inside!!!