GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thinking of moving to the F side !

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08, 11:18 AM
dmjay
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres always gonna be a better car that someone wants. If I had money to tnrow around, I would get a new car every couple of years. My previous car was a 350Z, and since then i loved the fact that i can just cruize, but now wid the modding of the new M3...im falling in love .
Old 08-20-08, 07:36 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by j0emamma
thos are all new cars coming out.. but have you seen the new gs thats gonna come out?
Assuming a 6 year production run for the current 3rd Gen GS, we won't see the 4th Gen GS until 2012 (or released in the fall of 2011 as 4th Gen). I don't think the OP is willing to wait that long.
Old 08-20-08, 07:54 PM
LexFather

Unhappy

Originally Posted by timeToy
Hi all,

For the past couple of months (Since I drove the IS-F at the Lexus performance Driving Academy...), I got that itch back again, you know, the one make me look at 400+HP sedans with envy... Today for some reason it hit me: the real reason why I lost interest in my GS, the design:

(From top to bottom: 2006+ Lexus GS, 2009+ Nissan Maxima, 2009+ Opel/Vauxhall/Saturn Insignia, 2008+ Jaguar XF, 2009+ Acura TL).

Many new cars are coming with very similar design cues, this is indeed a testament to the quality of Lexus design, but I do not want my car mixed up with a Nissan or a GM.

Given that I got the GS450h for the performance, not the fuel economy and that the IS-F do not get a too bad fuel economy with the 8 speed tranny, I’m thinking of moving to the F side.

What you guys think, is the GS design so good, it became the wannabe looking good car design reference, killing the exclusivity of the Lex ?
Ryan, myself and others raised hell about this really with Nissan/Infiniti taking all the 2GS cues, then the 3GS came out and well, the exclusive design was lost. From the Mazda 3 to new Jag XF, the GS influence is clear.

The 2GS and Passat/A6 all debuted the same time with the curved roof. The GS clearly was the most adventerous.
Add these to the mix

Now Lexus of course has taken cues from others. Everyone takes styling cues. However, the GS really has lost its original looks and shape as SO MANY cars, especially the millions of Altimas around took the basic shape. Short hood, curved roof, short deck.
Old 08-21-08, 05:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

As far as I am concerned, there is only so much you can do with a profile of a 4 door sedan. Sooner or later, you will run out of original designs.
Old 08-21-08, 05:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
As far as I am concerned, there is only so much you can do with a profile of a 4 door sedan. Sooner or later, you will run out of original designs.
So true.
Especially with an "Aerodynamic" design to help with the MPGs.
Old 08-21-08, 08:39 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why did you think MB came out with the CLS to break away from the traditions...
Old 08-21-08, 09:43 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Aerodynamic designs are not generally rounded like the 3GS. For example, the 1LS, that had a cd of 0.30. That was phenomenal for any car of that time esp. back in 1990, but it is boxy in comparison to the 3GS.
Old 08-21-08, 10:11 AM
LexFather

^Yup, the huge LS 430 had a drag of .26!!!
Old 08-21-08, 10:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah indeed i was going to bring up the ls430, that's why the car is so quiet

the 3gs now is just not sporty no matter how you put it, unless lexus comes out with gs-f. if you lose the fun, i say get the is-f. when i got my gs350, fun drive was definitely 2nd priority
Old 08-21-08, 11:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
why did you think MB came out with the CLS to break away from the traditions...
The new VW Passat already copy it.
Old 08-21-08, 12:36 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
(...) the 3gs now is just not sporty no matter how you put it, unless lexus comes out with gs-f. if you lose the fun, i say get the is-f. when i got my gs350, fun drive was definitely 2nd priority (...)
The 450h is very well balanced and properly poised for a car of this size, it is has the power and (most) of the handling, but the nanny really kill the fun part and it is not possible to disable it like in the 350 or 460...

So the IS-F for fun and the LS460 for family/road trip, we should be cover !
Old 08-21-08, 01:30 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
The 450h is very well balanced and properly poised for a car of this size, it is has the power and (most) of the handling, but the nanny really kill the fun part and it is not possible to disable it like in the 350 or 460...
I agree with timeToy; I test drove the 450h, and I was amazed at the handling, power & composure of the vehicle. Granted it's not designed to be a sports sedan like BMW, but it's good enough for most people (I would say over 95% of the people who buy a sports car don't really take their car to the extreme limit the car is capable of). With some suspension tuning, you'll have a fairly good handling car handle even better. And this should be good enough for you or I (if it isn't, you are either a crazy driver, or should be looking at a high performance sports car instead!).
Old 08-21-08, 01:38 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
(...)And this should be good enough for you or I (if it isn't, you are either a crazy driver, or should be looking at a high performance sports car instead!).
Not good enough for me ! Hence the title of the thread "Thinking of moving to the F side !"
Old 08-21-08, 02:42 PM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the F, I traded my 06 Gs for an Isf and have no regrets whatsoever the power is amazing still a Lexus inside but a beast on the outside and forget what you read about the exhaust tips:every loves them!I got mine with the white interior and it simply makes the car look even more unique (seems to be what your looking for) My Gs was the longest I ever had a car for (40 Months) and loved every moment in it but there's nothing like a 5.0 v8 and rwd 416hp.
Here's a pic of my Glacier Frost Gs.
Btw those Lowenhart lrs are for sale if anyones interested
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of moving to the F side !-photo.jpg  
Old 08-21-08, 03:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the jellybean roof is not exclusive anymore.

but i can still tell what's a nissan and what's a lexus........ because the nissan and all other biters look odd and ugly. the GS looks the most well balanced.

plus, often you'll only see the front and back ends. not the side profile. so theres no mistaking.

the only car that comes close is the XF.

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving to the F side !