GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

10,000 mile service help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08, 07:01 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10,000 mile service help?

I first got a quote from the dealer for $120 for the 10k mile service, few minutes later I get a different quote from the SAME dealer saying its $190 for the 10k mile service. They told me they have to drain the plug gasket thats why its so expensive and they use synthetic oil. Sounds a little fishy to me.

How much have you guys paid for your 10k mile service? Does 190 sound about right? I read the checklist for a 10k mile service, some of the things included like check fluids levels, check tire pressure....all these little things up to $190?
Old 08-19-08, 07:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't bother going to the dealer at 10K miles.
Change your oil and maybe check your cabin filter.
The drain plug gasket is about a dollar.
If you want to go to the dealer just tell them to change your oil and filter.Nothing else.
They will get big bucks for a synthetic oil change.
I do my own with Amsoil 0w30.
My GS won't see the dealer even for that freebie 5K oil change.Only warranty issue will bring my GS into the dealer.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-19-08 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-19-08, 07:20 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

It should be the same price as the 5K service.
Old 08-19-08, 07:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

At a $110 an hour, thats only 1 hour worth of work. I dont do those 10K 0r whatever service, its a waste of money. Just change the fluids, filter and belts and you will be fine. If you know how to check tire pressure, you have just save yourself $20
What plug gasket are they talking about and why isnt it under warranty.
Old 08-19-08, 07:25 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I wouldn't bother going to the dealer at 10K miles.
Change your oil and maybe check your cabin filter.
The drain plug gasket is about a dollar.
If you want to go to the dealer just tell them to change your oil and filter.Nothing else.
They will get big bucks for a synthetic oil change.
I do my own with Amsoil 0w30.
My GS won't see the dealer even for that freebie 5K oil change.

Its funny because, the master technician at the dealer told me lexus doenst use synthetic oil and he wouldnt reccomend it because its not worth the money.
Old 08-19-08, 07:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
Its funny because, the master technician at the dealer told me lexus doenst use synthetic oil and he wouldnt reccomend it because its not worth the money.
Porsche,Benz,BMW etc would disagree.
I believe in synthetic oil.
I change my oil once a year and prefer Amsoil 0w30.Mobil 1,Pensoil Platinum etc is fine too.
My GS only does about 6K miles a year so it sits.
Oil stays oil but Dino oil additives deplete over a course of say 6 months even sitting.
Synthetic hold additives longer.
The wife's RX does about 12K a year.It's a lease and I'll change the oil and filter once a year with Amsoil 0w30 after the frieebie at 5K.
I don't like bringing my cars into the dealer.
I don't care with the wife's lease but am very **** retentive with my car.
Old 08-19-08, 07:50 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Look at it this way, if Toyota/Lexus recommended it, it would be a requirement in all their vehicles....especially the IS-F. When have you seen a Toyota/Lexus motor breakdown from poor lubrication? It's pretty unheard of. If anything, Toyota is legendary for engineering motors that go well into the 300k mile range without any problems other than the regular maintenance. If you follow the recommended service intervals that Lexus goes by which is every 5k, you will not encounter problems. I've had several Lexus and Toyota vehicles which i've pushed well over 100k with no problems following the suggested factory guideline for service intervals. This is also going with a quality multi weight conventional motor oil and a Genuine Toyota filter.

Synthetic vs. Conventional is an age old battle. Lexus is rated #1 in vehicle dependability by J.D. Power year after year. This is without the help of synthetics btw.

Last edited by flipside909; 08-19-08 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-19-08, 07:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Look at it this way, if Toyota/Lexus recommended it, it would be a requirement in all their vehicles....especially the IS-F. When have you seen a Toyota/Lexus motor breakdown from poor lubrication? It's pretty unheard of. If anything, Toyota is legendary for engineering motors that go well into the 300k mile range without any problems other than the regular maintenance. If you follow the recommended service intervals that Lexus goes by which is every 5k, you will not encounter problems. I've had several Lexus and Toyota vehicles which i've pushed well over 100k with no problems following the suggested factory guideline for service intervals as well as using regular multiweight conventional motor oil and a Toyota filter.

Synthetic vs. Conventional is an age old battle. Lexus is rated #1 in vehicle dependability by J.D. Power year after year. This is without the help of synthetics btw.
That's true.
However there are advantages to using synthetics.
Longer change intervals,easier winter startups and in my case,a car that doesn't do many miles in a year.

Toyota engines also had oil sludge engine issues,so the company isn't perfect and quality has been going down.
Old 08-19-08, 07:57 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Ok we're getting off topic here, I didnt ask is synthetic worth it. BMW would disagree with the conventional because they change oil ever 10k miles not every 5k . I appreciate the comments about synthetic vs conventional.

My question is is $190 normal for the 10k mile service? Is the service worth it?
Old 08-19-08, 07:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Ok we're getting off topic here, I didnt ask is synthetic worth it. BMW would disagree with the conventional because they change oil ever 10k miles not every 5k . I appreciate the comments about synthetic vs conventional.

My question is is $190 normal for the 10k mile service? Is the service worth it?

Actually,BMW goes 15K on oil change and filter.

Costs vary from dealer to dealer but $190 seems really high for an oil change and check this and that.
Just get a price on an oil change alone.
Old 08-19-08, 08:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

That's true.
However there are advantages to using synthetics.
Longer change intervals,easier winter startups and in my case,a car that doesn't do many miles in a year.
There are advantages and disadvantages to anything. I wouldn't go with longer oil change intervals just because you can do so with synthetics. Lexus did not spend millions of dollars to engineer and print a suggested guide for maintenance in your owners manual for decoration. Their engineers have spent countless hours of testing to ensure longevity and with the use of conventional oil. Easier winter startups can be achieved with going with a different weight of motor oil, doesn't matter if it's conventional or synthetic. 5w-30 is what comes from the factory, but 5w-20 will work fine as suggested by the factory.
Old 08-19-08, 08:03 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

That is a bit high. You can ask your local dealership for a regular LOF (Lube Oil & Filter) service and pass on the rest of the "check/inspect" items. They usually rotate & balance your tires at the 10k service as well. You can get this done there or at a regular tire shop in your area.
Old 08-19-08, 08:04 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Actually,BMW goes 15K on oil change and filter.

Costs vary from dealer to dealer but $190 seems really high for an oil change and check this and that.
Just get a price on an oil change alone.
Thank you for the comments. Seems seems like a re-occuring thing, You like to disagree or correct everything I say. Anyways thanks to all who posted, I will see if i can get a quote or just get the oil change done.
Old 08-19-08, 08:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
There are advantages and disadvantages to anything. I wouldn't go with longer oil change intervals just because you can do so with synthetics. Lexus did not spend millions of dollars to engineer and print a suggested guide for maintenance in your owners manual for decoration. Their engineers have spent countless hours of testing to ensure longevity and with the use of conventional oil. Easier winter startups can be achieved with going with a different weight of motor oil, doesn't matter if it's conventional or synthetic. 5w-30 is what comes from the factory, but 5w-20 will work fine as suggested by the factory.
At $150 for an oil change,sure they want you to go for one every 5K.
It's no myth synthetics can go twice and more mileage than dino oil.The choice is available for what ever people want to use..
Old 08-19-08, 08:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you for the comments. Seems seems like a re-occuring thing, You like to disagree or correct everything I say. Anyways thanks to all who posted, I will see if i can get a quote or just get the oil change done.

It's not about liking to correct or disagree.
It's about getting it right.
I've been and will be corrected many times here and in life.You live and learn.
You posted 10K with BMW and I posted BMW is 15K.
Just shows how much better BMW thinks synthetic oil is.

Quick Reply: 10,000 mile service help?