GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changing US Spec Speedo/Odometer to Cdn

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 06:02 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Changing US Spec Speedo/Odometer to Cdn

As some of you guys know, I'm seriously thinking about importing a US GS450h up to Canada. Assuming the vehicle in question is allowed to be imported into Canada (2008 model is allowed, 2009 model is unknown at this time), the only requirement stipulated by Transport Canada is that the speedometer labels and odometer be in metric (child safety tethers, engine immobilizer, and day time running lights are all standard US features that carry over and are required in Canada).

Question: since the dashboard is an electronic chromatic device (ECD)instrumentation, will slapping on metric labels in any way make the dash look funny or out of place? What exactly gets changed when you do this speedo label and odometer conversion? After this gets done, can you tell it's been modified or will it look stock? Sorry for the noob questions here, but I'm trying to sort things out in my head. Thx guys.
Old 08-23-08, 11:33 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

The cleanest way to get this done would be to get a new instrument cluster providing the harnesses are otherwise identical. That item runs about $1700 for the non-hybrid GS and may be similar for the GSh. I dont think you want to slap on digits on the face of the existing housing, perhaps something temporary on the glass up front may help you pass in inspection but anything other than that would be unacceptable IMO.
Old 08-23-08, 12:45 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
The cleanest way to get this done would be to get a new instrument cluster providing the harnesses are otherwise identical. That item runs about $1700 for the non-hybrid GS and may be similar for the GSh. I dont think you want to slap on digits on the face of the existing housing, perhaps something temporary on the glass up front may help you pass in inspection but anything other than that would be unacceptable IMO.
Agreed, that would be the best solution. Thx.
Old 08-26-08, 12:00 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You have to change the instrument cluster to change odo to kM.
Old 08-26-08, 01:10 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why bother? KM dials are already displayed on the gauge, just look for the small numbers instead of the big ones, save you much money, no?
Old 08-26-08, 01:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Why bother? Because the odometer readout has to reflect km/h not mph.

the only requirement stipulated by Transport Canada is that the speedometer labels and odometer be in metric
Old 08-26-08, 02:05 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^

damn Canadian eh...
Old 08-26-08, 02:33 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

I'm getting mixed msgs with regards to the instrument cluster. According to some Cdn CL members, I don't need to swap it because (as whlkev said) it has the kph already in small print already. Some said I do. However, as flipside pointed out, the odometer won't be correct as it is still recording milage in imperial units. Sigh. The only way to find out for sure is calling Lexus head office and find out what the requirement is.
Old 08-26-08, 02:38 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Funny thing is I can understand having km/h as a readout, as you need to know your speed in the proper units but odometer puzzles me, as you can easily and accurately convert for DMV / carfax or whatever purspose you need.
Old 08-26-08, 03:13 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
I'm getting mixed msgs with regards to the instrument cluster. According to some Cdn CL members, I don't need to swap it because (as whlkev said) it has the kph already in small print already. Some said I do. However, as flipside pointed out, the odometer won't be correct as it is still recording milage in imperial units. Sigh. The only way to find out for sure is calling Lexus head office and find out what the requirement is.
I did import it last year - you dont need to do any mods unless it is your personal desire It is 100% comlient with Canadian requirements.
Old 08-26-08, 05:38 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by vladbph
I did import it last year - you dont need to do any mods unless it is your personal desire It is 100% comlient with Canadian requirements.
You da man! Thx vladbph for the confirmation!!! So what car did you bring into Canada? What modifications (if any) are required? Thx!
Old 08-26-08, 05:40 PM
Tinggi
Driver

Default Odometer

Brought in 1997 LS400 to Canada a year ago. Speedometer has Km/h as well as MPH. That is all that was required. Odometer is in miles.
Old 08-26-08, 05:42 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Funny thing is I can understand having km/h as a readout, as you need to know your speed in the proper units but odometer puzzles me, as you can easily and accurately convert for DMV / carfax or whatever purspose you need.
True, I guess you can convert the odometer reading from imperial to metric quite easily. I just wasn't sure if I need to change it or not, hence my question. But this is moot point now, as vladbph has confirmed that there is no need to swap out the instrument cluster.
Old 08-26-08, 05:44 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Tinggi
Brought in 1997 LS400 to Canada a year ago. Speedometer has Km/h as well as MPH. That is all that was required. Odometer is in miles.
Thx for the independent confirmation, much appreciated!
Old 08-26-08, 06:45 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
You da man! Thx vladbph for the confirmation!!! So what car did you bring into Canada? What modifications (if any) are required? Thx!
I brought GS350 AWD 2007. Requirements to 450H are exactly the same, so you DONT have to do anything. I wanted 450H too, but AWD was in priority list higher...

Quick Reply: Changing US Spec Speedo/Odometer to Cdn