GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

turn car off but put in accessory mode?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-08, 01:56 PM
lonwa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn car off but put in accessory mode?

Hello,

Maybe you can tell me how to turn the engine off without turing off power to the entire car? Example, driving and using the car to make a phone call via bluetooth. Arrive at my destination, but not done with the call. I want to turn the engine off, but not drop the call.

When I hit the start button, the whole car turns off.

How do I turn the engine off without losing power to accessories like the nav, radio, and bluetooth components?

Thanks,

Lonwa
Old 09-05-08, 01:59 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

this works in the IS but not sure about the GS:
put the gear in N instead of P,then turn off the car. this should keep the DVD changer or bluetooth working.
Old 09-05-08, 02:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, keep the car in N and press the button
Old 09-05-08, 02:16 PM
lonwa
Rookie

Thanks guys!
Old 09-05-08, 08:13 PM
lauh1984
Driver School Candidate

just one quick question. are you guys sure it won't be damaging to the transmission or whatever underneath. i tried this once, and it worked like what you guys said, but a few seconds later i heard a click and saw the shifter moving into P position (as if it were locking in). i used to have an Infiniti EX35, where i took up on the buyback offer, then i got the GS350. on the EX35, all you had to do was hit the push start button twice really fast and it'll be back on accessory mode, but would have not turned off anything except the engine. i tried that with the GS and it did not work, everything just turned off. that was one good feature of that car. as a matter of fact, i was on the bluetooth, got home, and inorder to not drop the call, i sat there for an extra minute with the engine running to finish up the conversation.
Old 09-05-08, 10:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

as long as the car is fully stopped already and it's in N, shutting it off wont' cause any issues. and you are saying you put it in N and the shifter goes to P ITSELF? man, that sounds very creepy!
Old 09-06-08, 08:49 AM
lauh1984
Driver School Candidate

sorry i should have been more clear. what i meant was the car is stopped in neutral, i shut off the car, and then move the shifter to P, press the parking brake, and then let go of the brakes. about 2 seconds later, i hear a click and see the shifter move towards the left just a bit more (even though i fully put it in P, not like i moved it half way).
Old 09-06-08, 06:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lauh1984
sorry i should have been more clear. what i meant was the car is stopped in neutral, i shut off the car, and then move the shifter to P, press the parking brake, and then let go of the brakes. about 2 seconds later, i hear a click and see the shifter move towards the left just a bit more (even though i fully put it in P, not like i moved it half way).
that's ok. that happens sometimes even if you put the shifter to P and then shut off the car. i think that happened to me when it was on an inclined, when the car rolled forward a bit and wheels got locked, the shifter moved slightly.
Old 09-07-08, 01:48 AM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by lauh1984
Actually, to minimize putting undue stress on the parking pawl (device which locks up the transmission) you should turn off the car while in Neutral, then first set the parking brake, then take your foot off the brake pedal, let the car fully stop (especially on a slope) then put the car in Park. Using the parking pawl to keep the car from moving is not a good idea that's what the parking brake is for.
Old 09-07-08, 04:53 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't you just depress the brake pedal and push the start button. The car won't start again once it's already running.
Old 09-07-08, 06:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mysteryan
Can't you just depress the brake pedal and push the start button. The car won't start again once it's already running.
?! but it will shut off. that's the problem, coz' the phone (bluetooth) is being used
Old 09-07-08, 08:04 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
?! but it will shut off. that's the problem, coz' the phone (bluetooth) is being used
Wouldn't only the engine shut off only, leaving everything else on (ie gauge cluster and everything still lit up). Kinda like pretending to start the car again when the car is already running.
Old 09-07-08, 08:14 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HotShotEng
Actually, to minimize putting undue stress on the parking pawl (device which locks up the transmission) you should turn off the car while in Neutral, then first set the parking brake, then take your foot off the brake pedal, let the car fully stop (especially on a slope) then put the car in Park. Using the parking pawl to keep the car from moving is not a good idea that's what the parking brake is for.
Sounds good especially since for the normal shut off procedure, the manual says to set the parking brake while still in drive, then shift to park and then turn it off.
Old 09-08-08, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mysteryan
Wouldn't only the engine shut off only, leaving everything else on (ie gauge cluster and everything still lit up). Kinda like pretending to start the car again when the car is already running.
if the car is running, no matter if your foot is on the brakes or not, if you press the start button, the whole car shuts off, including gauge cluster, radio, nav, etc...
Old 09-08-08, 02:16 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Or you could transfer the phone call to the phone, shut the car off, then leave the car?

Quick Reply: turn car off but put in accessory mode?