GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Should the 4GS be designed as a "four door coupe"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 05:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jr1966
It is not just the steering. It is the overall handling balance, firmer suspension, and road feel without being harsh. It is also the feeling of being connected and at one with the car and the feeling of being in control.
I agree, there are cars out there that handles betters than the GS, yet has a smoother ride. Better of the both world, you can say. I guess it all comes down to the suspension, chassis rigidness and balance. Anybody can make a car handle corners by stiffing up the suspension, but to do that and still maintain a reasonably comfortable ride is the hard part. BMW is too stiff, but there are other cars out there that handles almost as good as the BMW and yet have a much better ride, but the GS is not one of them.
Old 11-06-08, 06:08 PM
jr1966
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
BMW is too stiff, but there are other cars out there that handles almost as good as the BMW and yet have a much better ride, but the GS is not one of them.
Ride is a very subjective factor. My personal opinion, I don't think BMWs are too stiff, even with an aftermarket suspension. Most publications complained that those BMWs with run-flat tires rode harshly and too stiff. When I test drove an E91 325xi (before I bought my 3GS) with run-flats, they weren't harsh nor stiff at all (so I was thinking.....wtf are they talking about?).

And yes, the 3GS is not one of those that handles great with an excellent ride. The ride is actually kinda too soft and a bit floaty, but that's ok by me as I got my 3GS to be the luxury car in the fleet. Something that would relax my senses after a long day of work.

But still, sticking to the subject of this thread, I feel that the next generation GS (or 4GS) should have more sport in it to go with the looks. Something in the likeness of the 2GS which felt a lot sportier than the 3GS.
Old 11-06-08, 10:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If they want, they could make the GS line into its own 4D-SC (to borrow an old Nissan term)...

And turn the ES into the RWD, E-Class and 5-series competitor.

OR, they could make the GS even more of an E-Class and 5-series competitor, by giving it more of that special something that has made the IS and LS successful at the smaller and larger ends, respectively. IMO, the 4GS could then use more room, continue to improve the performance, but take a bit off the severe, sport-angled direction of the interior in favor of a more E-Class like opulent one. There is so much potential for the GS line to become even perhaps the biggest Lexus vehicle, although that is likely far off.

The 4GS could then be positioned as a world-beater competitor to the E-Class and 5-series, and become a true brand-leader vehicle for Lexus in the way the IS and LS have been. The ES, as a US/Asia-focused model, has an Ultra Luxury package. The GS could benefit from such a focus, given that luxury is Lexus' strength.
Old 11-07-08, 05:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

That exactly I what I mean, the GS has no identity in the Lexus line up. Is it a luxury car or a performance car? If it is suppose to be a sport luxury car, then it is pulling up the rear as far as the market segment is concerned.
Old 11-07-08, 06:19 PM
jr1966
Driver

Originally Posted by encore888
If they want, they could make the GS line into its own 4D-SC (to borrow an old Nissan term)...

And turn the ES into the RWD, E-Class and 5-series competitor.
This seems to be the way to go. Leave the FWD to the Camry. Current Camries have Luxury Packages that make them feel like Lexuses anyway.

I am currently driving a loaner '08 ES350 (my GS has a power steering issue) and it feels just like a Camry (which it really is) except that it has air conditioned front seats. The front glove compartment door feels cheap and the center console is ugly, that the dash of the Camry looks a lot nicer. Hell, even the dash of the previous-gen ES330 that I had is even nicer. However, in terms of driving feel, suspension firmness, tossability, steering feel, engine power (compared to the GS300, at least), it is the sportier-feeling car compared to the 3GS, even though it is front-wheel driven where the 3GS is RWD.

But for Toyota, it makes the best business sense as they only need to re-badge and apply some Lexus touches and sell it at a higher price and make a larger margin, as the ES is like their bread-and-butter sedan for the Lexus line.
Old 11-09-08, 08:48 AM
slow_3.0
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
i also don't think the ES sales are hurting the GS. ES is just doing what they are for. the GS fails coz' it's not sporty enough by itself, or when compared to competition.

i highly disagree the 4gs should be something like cls though. this category is very tricky, sport + space, that's the key. look at the 5 and the e class, they are both spacious AND sporty. that's why people buy those cars

cls is slick, nice, but the rear space is not for everyone, especially FAMILY. a lot of families get the 5 and e class coz' it has a lot of room in the back and it's sporty.

so for lexus, they just have to figure out a way to make the next gs sporty enough to compete with competition. the ES shouldn't be their worry. at least to me, i don't see them in the same league
Who says the 3GS has failed in sales numbers? I see TONS of them everywhere.

What's more Everyone who gets in my '06 300 gs (yeah, yeah it's a dog I know) is blown away. It has huge curb appeal.
Old 11-09-08, 09:01 AM
slow_3.0
Rookie

Originally Posted by jr1966
This seems to be the way to go. Leave the FWD to the Camry. Current Camries have Luxury Packages that make them feel like Lexuses anyway.

I am currently driving a loaner '08 ES350 (my GS has a power steering issue) and it feels just like a Camry (which it really is) except that it has air conditioned front seats. The front glove compartment door feels cheap and the center console is ugly, that the dash of the Camry looks a lot nicer. Hell, even the dash of the previous-gen ES330 that I had is even nicer. However, in terms of driving feel, suspension firmness, tossability, steering feel, engine power (compared to the GS300, at least), it is the sportier-feeling car compared to the 3GS, even though it is front-wheel driven where the 3GS is RWD.

But for Toyota, it makes the best business sense as they only need to re-badge and apply some Lexus touches and sell it at a higher price and make a larger margin, as the ES is like their bread-and-butter sedan for the Lexus line.
If you think the ES is sportier feeling than your GS something must really be wrong with the gs steering.
Old 12-28-08, 08:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another GS competitor?

Another four-door coupe, but this time, it's a guaranteed product (not a concept):

Audi will unveil A7 in Detroit

Audi will unveil a concept for its new A7 at the Detroit auto show in January.

"We will show a concept to test reaction to the car's styling," an Audi official told Automotive News Europe.

The concept will preview a sleek, coupe-styled four-door sedan that will rival the Mercedes-Benz CLS. The car will slot into Audi's range below the A8 and above the A6.

The A7 will go on sale in late 2009 or early 2010, the Audi executive said.

The car will be the latest model in an Audi product offensive that aims to boost the brand's sales from about 1 million units in 2008 to 1.5 million by 2015.

Audi sources said the carmaker expects to sell about 40,000 units of the A7 a year.
Old 12-28-08, 09:11 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

all i know is that they'd better design this well if they wanna sell even 1/4 as many as the 5 series.

they should take a risk and make it more aggressive looking. unlike the pansy looking new RX
Old 12-29-08, 05:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Well, they did talk a big risk with the new RX redesign's space ship looking interior
Old 12-29-08, 05:35 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Well, they did talk a big risk with the new RX redesign's space ship looking interior
but everyone knows it's the exterior that sells cars.
Old 12-29-08, 06:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I am not sure where Lexus is going with this redesign RX. The exterior looks like its from the 1995 and the interior looks like its from the 2015. Then again, the last few Lexus re-design have been disappointing as well.
Old 12-29-08, 04:35 PM
Vinnyraj
Driver

To keep momentum going with the F-line, I definitely agree there should be a GS-F. Part of my wishlist...
Old 12-30-08, 05:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Momentum with the F-line? If you havent notice yet, the IS-F is not selling too well.
Old 12-30-08, 06:35 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Momentum with the F-line? If you havent notice yet, the IS-F is not selling too well.
compared to the M3?

i don't know of any website that lists the IS-F sales numbers separately from all the other IS's

Last edited by dunnojack; 12-30-08 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Should the 4GS be designed as a "four door coupe"?