GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Should the 4GS be designed as a "four door coupe"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 02:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should the 4GS be designed as a "four door coupe"?

GS sales are unfortunately poor when compared to its main competitors: the BMW 5-Series and M.B. E-Class (and in turn, the CLS-Class).

Most people think that ES350 sales are eating up GS350/460 sales because the 3GS is "not sporty enough" to command the higher price premium.

I was wondering, if Lexus gave the GS more sporty pretension whereas the ES is comparitively more sedate, I think the GS would sell much better. To begin, designing the GS like a sport-saloon would be a good aesthetic move.

Should Lexus design the 4GS like the sport-oriented fashion-forward CLS to aesthetically differentiate its functionality over the ES?

Or do you think the look of a four-door coupe is too passé, too frivolous? Do you think imitation is NOT the best form of flattery, as Lexus and the GS will continuously be deemed a Mercedes copycat?

What do you think?
Old 09-15-08, 03:04 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think that would not be a bad idea......really
Old 09-15-08, 03:18 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If my GS handled like my previous BMW's, I wouldn't care what its designation was. Admittedly, I knew going in what the differences were, and I chose the GS because I felt it was the better overall package. However, I miss the BMW's handling more than I thought I would, and will most likely have another in the future.
Old 09-15-08, 04:08 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's pretty close to a 4 door coupe now. It has a low roof-line and stylish sleek body. Most 190 inch sedans have way more comfort than this one does. It's coupe-like proportions limit the interior space and trunk room. The long nose and short rear deck are very much coupe GT in philosophy. Any more coupe-like and no one could fit in the thing.

Last edited by Ice350; 09-16-08 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-15-08, 04:18 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it needs more power, as when the 2GS400 came out, it's beating most if not all competitors...

The 3GS right now have nothing special, just middle of the range car in middle of the pack.
Old 09-15-08, 05:46 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I don't agree that ES sales are cannibalizing 3GS sales, the ES is a volume entry-level-luxury fwd sedan. A true GS buyer (rwd sports sedan) will not drop down to the ES, maybe to an IS350 or A6 but not to a ES. And imitating the CLS is heresy, so if anything the ES can spin off a coupe and convertible (similar to the Camry/Solara). The GS needs to stay positioned b/w the IS and LS, but does need more 'sport' marketing like true rev matching paddle shifters, aluminum pedals, 19" rims, stiffer suspension, etc. For the GS460, it needs to get power closer to the LS (<380 hp) and peeps will buy it, right now 39hp doesn't justify the price difference b/w the 350 & 460 (unlike the 106hp diff b/w the IS 250 & 350). . .
Old 09-15-08, 05:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i also don't think the ES sales are hurting the GS. ES is just doing what they are for. the GS fails coz' it's not sporty enough by itself, or when compared to competition.

i highly disagree the 4gs should be something like cls though. this category is very tricky, sport + space, that's the key. look at the 5 and the e class, they are both spacious AND sporty. that's why people buy those cars

cls is slick, nice, but the rear space is not for everyone, especially FAMILY. a lot of families get the 5 and e class coz' it has a lot of room in the back and it's sporty.

so for lexus, they just have to figure out a way to make the next gs sporty enough to compete with competition. the ES shouldn't be their worry. at least to me, i don't see them in the same league
Old 09-15-08, 05:59 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
The 3GS right now have nothing special, just middle of the range car in middle of the pack.
that is key.

it's best at nothing. and it has the least features.

tape deck? com on !!

people would rather buy a slower, more expensive bmw 528i than this.
lexus needs to tap out to those buyers and study why they choose german

I don't understand it myself. I test drove a merc e350, and that things feels slow, and actually is slower.

oh, and fewer people BUY bmw and benz????
and lexus has crappy lease rates.

and the GS should just be a GS. let other car makers imitate it. not the other way around.

Last edited by dunnojack; 09-15-08 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 06:08 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

They need to drop a 5L V8 making 400+ hp. They're obviously not going to make the suspension handle any better because they don't want to lose that luxury feel so the least they can do is make it faster.
Old 09-15-08, 06:22 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the 4GS should be more like the LS. Bigger and more stately. I always
felt like Lexus was trying not to hurt the LS sales and underdelivered on the 3GS.

They might want to build a 4 door coupe out of the current GS platform...
Old 09-15-08, 07:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I think the 3GS is loosing sales to the ES350 from non-enthusiast buyers looking mainly for feature content, comfort and luxury. IMO Lexus needs to aim the 4GS squarely at the sport sedan buyer in terms of performance, ride, handling etc. It needs to be differentiated a little more from the LS and ES.
Old 09-15-08, 10:52 PM
LexFather

IMO it already looks very swoopy and coupeish, especially from the sides and rear. Besides, 4 door fake coupes (THEY ARE NOT COUPES) are sold in limited quantities. IF anything do what Benz did, sell the GS and then sell a swoopier coupe built off the GS platform (The CLS is modified E class).

I am certain the next GS will grow in size, maybe to the previous LS size of about 195 inches, since the LS has grown in size and the IS has as well.

The ES has always been as long or as big as a GS. The ES 300 from 1992-1995 was 188.2 inches long. The current GS is 190 inches long.
Old 09-16-08, 09:04 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's my Lexus wishlist:
A plain-jane GS for the masses.
A sport GS for enthusiasts with tight, lowered suspension and 400hp. I agree with those who say Lexus shouldn't copy the CLS. E-Class, 5-Series and the Audi 6 prove that sedans can be sporty without cutting off heads and knees.
Lexus also needs an IS type coupe and a big GS type coupe. WHy not? They have nothing in these areas. Take the plunge, Lexus.
Old 09-17-08, 01:30 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Give me a hybrid enhanced version GS with the IS-F motor/8speed tranny combination (or better yet, maybe the 3ur 5.7 liter block), IS-F brakes, the sport seats and paddle shift equiped steering wheel and I would be golden.
Hell, you could leave off any ground effects and special badging and just let me have a "Q-ship" so I could sneek up on unsuspecting sport sedans and coupes.
Old 09-17-08, 04:32 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ I would settle for the 4.6l V8 from the LS that puts out 380+hp, with the 8spd auto (that rev match), paddle shifters, F&R disc brakes and aluminum pedals from the ISF, and the TTE body kit. These are all OEM parts already in the pipeline so why can't Lexus just slap them on a 3GS and call it a Sports package ???

Quick Reply: Should the 4GS be designed as a "four door coupe"?