GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Good Bye my friends :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 01:25 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

perception is everything, Lexus and Audi now advertise heavily in movies/shows, that will get them some attention

I never liked the R8 until I saw it in Iron man

S5 in Hitman, bunch of Audi in Ironman, believe me, Audi is on its way to success here in the US
Old 10-03-08, 01:36 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bye G man! It was good to read your posts. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Old 10-03-08, 01:45 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

audi sells a chitload of a6 in europe.

i guess that's why they don't care if the a6 does poorly in the US.
Old 10-03-08, 04:07 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice choice for a new car. My wife and I actually looked at the A6 3.2 Quattro before purchasing our GS. She wasn't impressed w/ the performance in city driving, but the highway was a different story. She would've probably preferred the 4.2, but it wasn't available at the dealer we went to. It does have a nice interior, but we preferred the GS a lot better. I didn't get a chance to test drive it due to baby sitting duties .
Old 10-03-08, 05:37 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MI350_55
Nice choice for a new car. My wife and I actually looked at the A6 3.2 Quattro before purchasing our GS. She wasn't impressed w/ the performance in city driving, but the highway was a different story. She would've probably preferred the 4.2, but it wasn't available at the dealer we went to. It does have a nice interior, but we preferred the GS a lot better. I didn't get a chance to test drive it due to baby sitting duties .
The A6 3.2 does 0-60 about a second slower than the GS350 and 1/4 mile at about the time time as the GS350, by no mean its slow, but its slower than others in this class. Thats why Audi is coming out with the new 3.0L supercharger for the 2009 A6. This engine is going to compete with the BMW 335i. Both engine have lot so torque available at very low RPM.
I went into the test drive expect a very slow car from reading all the reviews. It turns out the A6 3.2 is not bad in the city and every bit as fast as the GS in the highway with a much smoother ride. I guess you know which interior I like better
Old 10-03-08, 05:41 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

our loss but hope you are happy with your choice. regards...
Old 10-03-08, 05:50 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and good luck.

I'm thinking about an Audi for next ride also.
Old 10-03-08, 06:33 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

we'll miss you man.
Old 10-04-08, 12:21 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

congrats on the new ride - i think you will enjoy the audi for it's stability and very solid feel. i just turned in a 6MT A4 quattro after a 24 mo lease and really enjoyed my time with it. very solid and absolutely not one mechanical or electrical problem.
Old 10-04-08, 12:34 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Gman...you will be missed, I learned a lot from you as I dealt with my rattles and other TSB's...always a great resource. Audiphiles are lucky to have you. Hope we will see you back though as despite these problems, Japanese reliability remains a differentiation point.

This was a big reason for me choosing the GS over the 5 Series BMW or Jag XF.

Maybe you can stay active on our forums to let us know how things are going and what they are *****ing about on the Audi forums!
Old 10-04-08, 12:42 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I'm surprised you were able to switch to Audi after 18 years of Japanese car ownership. Every time I test drive cars I always test drive an Audi (A4, A6, S4, and A8 over the years), and every time I leave very annoyed by the cars' ergonomics. It's just impossible for me to switch after 15 years of perfect ergonomics of Acura and Lexus.
Old 10-04-08, 03:22 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MelYW
Gman...you will be missed, I learned a lot from you as I dealt with my rattles and other TSB's...always a great resource. Audiphiles are lucky to have you. Hope we will see you back though as despite these problems, Japanese reliability remains a differentiation point.

This was a big reason for me choosing the GS over the 5 Series BMW or Jag XF.

Maybe you can stay active on our forums to let us know how things are going and what they are *****ing about on the Audi forums!
Thx MelYWl. I will still hang around here for a while, you guys wont get rid of me that easily
German and American car's reliability have been on the raise in recent years, there is no trade secerts out there anymore as far as reliability is concern, What the Japanese knows, the German knows and the other way around. Its just a matter of where they want to set their priority on. If you look at the JD power long term reliability ratings. The gap between the number of problems from the best to the average keep getting smaller. Auto manufacturers are gaining ground as far as reliability is concerned. Audi have climb from the bottom of the reliability chart to average in recent years and BMW is actually above average now.
Old 10-04-08, 03:25 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexuslover
congrats on the new ride - i think you will enjoy the audi for it's stability and very solid feel. i just turned in a 6MT A4 quattro after a 24 mo lease and really enjoyed my time with it. very solid and absolutely not one mechanical or electrical problem.
Howdy! Haven't seen you post in a while. See that you put a GTS in the stable...that's on fast mommy mobile
Old 10-04-08, 04:34 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lexuslover, did I ever tell you that I always been jealous of your car collection and your garage I am glad you didnt have any problem with Audi. German cars are sometimes hit or miss, you can get a real good one or a real lemon.
Old 10-04-08, 06:05 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
Well I final gave up and traded in my GS. All the rattles was driving me crazy and the stiff ride is very un Lexus like.

I got a great deal on an Audi A6 quattro, $9000 off MSRP and I took it. The A6 handled about the same as the GS but the ride is much smoother.

This will put a stop to my 15 years of Toyota Lexus ownership. I never thought I would buy German again, especially an Audi, but from my research, Audi has come a long way in reliability and quality.
The dealership was not able to correct the rattles? - How many times did you take it in? - Mine was corrected and has been rattle free,close to a year.

Quick Reply: Good Bye my friends :(