GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Good News!!! New Tsib For Brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08, 03:55 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anxious to hear from slk. i need to make an appt. brakes are a joke. i'll take dust before squeaks anyday.
Old 10-18-08, 04:21 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

My apology, I was busy at work and did not pick up my toy till this morning.

As stated on my workorder, they replaced the brake pads for the front and resurfaced the rotors.

As far as I can tell, performance of the new brake pads is somewhere between the original brake pads and the low dust brake pads.

If
[10] = performance of original high friction brake pads;
[1] = performance of low dust brake pads;

I would consider [7] for the new brake pads.
- no more squeaky brakes (for now);
- no dust buildup on the wheels;
- it feels smooth, yet stop on the dot (unlike low dust, from time to time I had to slam the brake in order to stop in time).

Since I just got my toy back this morning, and I have only driven less than 200 mile on the new brakes (took the Mrs. out shopping). I will post new update at later time, but so far so good!!!
Old 10-18-08, 07:11 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

^^thanks slk...appreciate the TSIB# and the feedback so far on the performance of your new pads and rotor adjustment.
Old 10-19-08, 05:59 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Trying to wait 800 miles or so until my next oil change to get this done. Did you realize that parking garages AMPLIFY brake squeaking noises??? I was descending from the 5th floor of a parking garage behind this beater and my brakes were making all sorts of noise - wife thought it was the car in front of us
Old 10-20-08, 12:14 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is actually covered in this TSIB? I heard there was a rumor of new designed pads AND Front calipers plus more.

Any details?
Old 10-20-08, 01:09 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slk_dds
My apology, I was busy at work and did not pick up my toy till this morning.

As stated on my workorder, they replaced the brake pads for the front and resurfaced the rotors.

As far as I can tell, performance of the new brake pads is somewhere between the original brake pads and the low dust brake pads.

If
[10] = performance of original high friction brake pads;
[1] = performance of low dust brake pads;

I would consider [7] for the new brake pads.
- no more squeaky brakes (for now);
- no dust buildup on the wheels;
- it feels smooth, yet stop on the dot (unlike low dust, from time to time I had to slam the brake in order to stop in time).

Since I just got my toy back this morning, and I have only driven less than 200 mile on the new brakes (took the Mrs. out shopping). I will post new update at later time, but so far so good!!!
Okay I'm losing patience quickly. From reading slk's post here it sounds like he had new brake pads(already had the stock/dusties and the non-dusty) so I assumed he was on his 3rd set of pads. My guy at the dealership is telling me their isn't no new TSIB(I gave hime the one from slk). It's just adding on the 2008's. Maybe I need to go to another dealership?

These brakes are pathetic.
Old 10-20-08, 01:59 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

I'm going to call Bay Ridge Lexus this week to see whats up. Its now at the point where I don't want to drive anymore because its so loud and embarassing
Old 10-20-08, 06:54 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
What is actually covered in this TSIB? I heard there was a rumor of new designed pads AND Front calipers plus more.
Any details?
Yes you are right, they have done the followings per TSIB:
-New Brake Pads (Different than High Performance and Low Dust Brake Pads);
-New Front Calipers;
-Resurfaced Rotors.

Originally Posted by BKE420
From reading slk's post here it sounds like he had new brake pads(already had the stock/dusties and the non-dusty) so I assumed he was on his 3rd set of pads. My guy at the dealership is telling me their isn't no new TSIB(I gave hime the one from slk). It's just adding on the 2008's. Maybe I need to go to another dealership?
And yes, this new TSIB would be my thrid set of pads!!!

P.S. My service advisor at Sewell showed me the TSIB and told me that they have different part number for it. Therefore you need to goto another dealership for future service, because your service advisor B.S. about the new TSIB being same as the old one.

*** I purposely left my toy outside of garage for the past two days, to see if mositure in the air would cause new brake pads to squeak again!!! So far so good, I have not hear any noise coming from the new brake pads!!!

Last edited by slk_dds; 10-20-08 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 07:28 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

awesome slk!

i'll call tomorrow to have mine scheduled for the new brakes. it'll be nice to wash the car and the wheels actually stay clean for longer than 1 day.
Old 10-20-08, 10:47 PM
mcyc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the TSIB apply to the 06 GS430. The low dust pad that I switched to sucks.
Old 10-21-08, 10:11 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, this is corn'fusing

I dropped off today my 3GS for 30k service at Ray Catena, the largest Lexus dealership in Tri-state area. They confirmed about ONLY one new recent TSIB addressing the issue of squeaky brakes, and its ONLY for brake clip replacement. The actual replacement of pads was only for dustless brakes. I could be mistaken but I think there are two versions of dustless break TSIB where the early pads were found to be squeaky. And that is what I'm hearing on my 3GS since I got early TSIB done back at 5k. Because I already had my replaced, they will not replace it with a new one but rather I will have to wait for this new TSIB and when new brake clips will be available. Those new brake clips are NOT available yet. I forgot to write new TSIB number, but will make sure to do that on a way back when picking up my car. This makes me believe that slk_dds had new version of dustless brakes installed.

As a side note, I’m driving RX loaner today which makes me miss my GS so much. RX has such a loose steering, almost a joke. My wife's Highlander handles better. Also, tranny has an annoying hesitation when you step on the gas. Although not up to par with some other sports luxury cars, I have been spoiled with performance and handling of my 3GS toy
Old 10-21-08, 11:02 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

I called my dealership (the only one in an 80 mile radius..so not much choice) today to schedule these new brakes to be installed. Got an appointment for Thursday. I tried to confirm with the service manager if this is the new TSIB that just came out and he said "yes....well, actually it came out in July for the IS, but they have now extended it to the GS". So my question is, is this scenario true for the brakes SLK is referring to, or are these just the dustless brakes that will apparently squeak all the time?

Thanks
Old 10-21-08, 11:19 AM
Strad6708
Rookie

Default Confused about which TSIB to ask for

I still have the original high friction pads on my 08 GS350. I care less about the dust and way more about the horribly embarrassing squealing. Which TSIB do I ask for to correct the squealing and what is done for this TSIB? Thanks!
Old 10-21-08, 02:44 PM
thechief
Driver School Candidate

I had my shoes replaced about 700 mikes ago. The front wheels are still as clean as the rears.
Old 10-21-08, 03:23 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, here is an official answer:

TSIB L-SB-0121-08 (released on September 24) is a replacement for TSIB BR002-06. It’s ONLY for dustless brake pads. If you got the original BR002, they will not replace new brake pads. If you haven't done that already, L-SB-0121-08 will be applied. The actual fix for squeaky brake is not available yet. TSIB # will be assigned soon and the actual fix is in new redesign brake clips. That's all. I'm on waiting list, among lots of other 3GS owners who complained about their squeaky brakes Will let you know of any updates when it become available. I can only speculate that a similar fix might be available for other Lexus modules experiencing this annoying shoe squeaking

Quick Reply: Good News!!! New Tsib For Brakes!!!