GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Good News!!! New Tsib For Brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 08:25 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtrue28
it'll be nice to wash the car and the wheels actually stay clean for longer than 1 day.

Not to sound dumb..... but I havent driven the GS in over a month for that same reason. it aggrevates the crap outta me. I even found myself just lightly tapping the brakes to not cause too much dust after a car wash.

At this point I am going to schedule my TSIB and see what they do. they I'll just sell or trade in this car for a 2008 Toyota Tundra CrewMax and forget about all this senseless brake dust.
Old 10-21-08, 10:34 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bozer
I'm going to call Bay Ridge Lexus this week to see whats up. Its now at the point where I don't want to drive anymore because its so loud and embarassing
did you hear anything from bay ridge lexus? i work out in bay ridge so if you got the word do share
Old 10-21-08, 10:43 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whlkev
wait wait.. let me get this clarified, so that TSIB is for the brake dusts and not for the squeaking for the 08 right?
Originally Posted by mcyc
Does the TSIB apply to the 06 GS430. The low dust pad that I switched to sucks.
Originally Posted by Strad6708
I still have the original high friction pads on my 08 GS350. I care less about the dust and way more about the horribly embarrassing squealing. Which TSIB do I ask for to correct the squealing and what is done for this TSIB? Thanks!
I believed new TSIB covered all of 3GS, except GS300 (b/c is the only one that has tiny front brakes).

Originally Posted by jtrue28
So my question is, is this scenario true for the brakes SLK is referring to, or are these just the dustless brakes that will apparently squeak all the time?
As far as I can tell, is a newly designed brake pads is to reduce brake dust (high friction) and squealing (low dust).

Originally Posted by twister
OK, this is corn'fusing

I dropped off today my 3GS for 30k service at Ray Catena, the largest Lexus dealership in Tri-state area. They confirmed about ONLY one new recent TSIB addressing the issue of squeaky brakes, and its ONLY for brake clip replacement. The actual replacement of pads was only for dustless brakes. I could be mistaken but I think there are two versions of dustless break TSIB where the early pads were found to be squeaky. And that is what I'm hearing on my 3GS since I got early TSIB done back at 5k. Because I already had my replaced, they will not replace it with a new one but rather I will have to wait for this new TSIB and when new brake clips will be available. Those new brake clips are NOT available yet. I forgot to write new TSIB number, but will make sure to do that on a way back when picking up my car. This makes me believe that slk_dds had new version of dustless brakes installed.
I felt so blessed, because my service advisor had never give me the run around. He has always being honest and always get the answers for my questions. Besides from that, I do not understand why some of the dealer would give you run around or denying warranty services, because either way, Lexus will supply the replacement parts plus labor!!!
Personally I would talk to the GM at your service department, let them know that your service advisor is not being honest nor helpful!!!
Old 10-22-08, 05:30 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What run around? I complained about dust on my wheels, and with no question asked got them replaced at 5k. My front wheels have been dust-free ever since, but I do have annoying squeaking. I have seen the TSIB you referred to, and it calls ONLY for dustless brake replacement. I already had those replaced under original TSIB and Lexus can not justify doing it every 20k miles giving me free set of brake pads considering I don't have break dust problem anymore. There is nothing that says in your TSIB about squeaking brakes, the symptom I'm experiencing now. Yesterday, I spoke with service manager and rep from corporate Lexus who was at dealership, and they informed me about upcoming new TSIB with new revised brake clips to take care of squeaking. That's all.

Ray Catena service is bar none. The way how these guys took care of me 2 years ago with my ES350 (tranny flare problem), bought it back, and gave me brand new GS350 replacement for thousands under invoice - I don't think any other dealership can match that
Old 10-22-08, 12:32 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

What run around?
Sorry, I was not targeting you nor your service advisor.

Please allow me to clarify my answer; I was using your quote as an example to showed that some of our CL members are having problem with their sqeaking brakes, yet their service advisor refuse to replace it under the new TSIB.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!!!
Old 10-22-08, 12:34 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats one thing good about lexus, if you complain long enough, they will replace anything
Old 10-22-08, 01:29 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

They sure will. and to you Twister, I love Ray Catena, I bought my gen 1 IS300 from them and they always took care of me!
Old 10-23-08, 11:40 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Alright, so I got the brakes changed today. Since I just bought my 3GS last month, I only had 680 miles on the factory brakes. However, it never failed that I had to clean the front wheels everyday.

From the receipt they gave me, it references TSIB# L-SB-0121-08. Which from what SLK said, this is the TSIB number that was done to his vehicle. My initial thoughts on the brakes are that they work and are still a little "grabby". I won't be able to judge the brake dust situation until I get home (put some more miles on it). Being that they washed it for me, the wheels should be clean, to judge the amount of dust so far from the new brakes. I haven't heard any squeaks yet, but not sure that I would hear any squeaks from brand new brakes. I'll report back with any significant experiences.

Also, when I was talking to the service rep this morning I asked him if these brakes ended up being worse, what the course of action would be. He just looked at me and said..."there really isn't anything else to do, unless they come out with another service bulletin...".
Old 10-23-08, 12:17 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the front pads replaced at 12000, and over 3000 miles later still no dust. I haven't experienced any squeaking, but if I do, I'll be looking for the new TSIB.
Old 10-31-08, 03:50 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Can anybody please confirm if new low-dust brakes (according to TSIB# L-SB-0121-08) also fix break squeaking? TSIB doesn’t mention it, but I just hoping. Anybody else got any updates about brake squeaking? So far, as confirmed by other CL members, Ray Catena officially informed us that new TSIB for break squeaking (new replacement clips) is in the works and coming soon. I don't know if I can wait that long. Over the last 15k-20k miles the squeaking got worth and now every time after the car goes from stop, I hear nerve twitching metal-on-metal squealing. My wife heard me from inside of the house while I was a few blocks driving away. Its getting so bad, I'm dreading getting into the car right now.

So curious if anybody else is in the same “squealing” boat as I am and were able to get this awful noise to go away with a new low-dust break pads? Anything else you hear from your dealership?
Old 10-31-08, 04:22 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

No news hear. Just losing patience with these squeling like a b*tch brakes. Lexus should get this squared away sooner than later. Lets go Lexus!!! Figure it out!!!
Old 10-31-08, 04:28 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Angry

So curious if anybody else is in the same “squealing” boat as I am and were able to get this awful noise to go away with a new low-dust break pads? Anything else you hear from your dealership?
I was and ... I am.

1) BR002-06 - done
2) came back with squealing after few months- they re-surface rotors
3) after 2-3 months it is coming back again....
Old 10-31-08, 04:45 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly my scenario: BR002-06 done at 5k. Squeaking kind of went away, but than came back. Got rotors re-surfaced. Now it’s back with a vengeance It’s very embarrassing to drive $50k car that makes a noise of a used $500 junk car
Old 10-31-08, 05:19 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

It’s very embarrassing to drive $50k car that makes a noise of a used $500 junk car

My exact sentiments...couldn't of said it better.
Old 10-31-08, 07:11 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Can anybody please confirm if new low-dust brakes (according to TSIB# L-SB-0121-08) also fix break squeaking? TSIB doesn’t mention it, but I just hoping. Anybody else got any updates about brake squeaking? So far, as confirmed by other CL members, Ray Catena officially informed us that new TSIB for break squeaking (new replacement clips) is in the works and coming soon.
The main reason I had the brake pads replaced again was due to SQUEAKING BRAKES!!!

Based from my service advisor, new TSIB did include new brake pads and newly designed clips; and to do it right they also resurfaced the rotors.

So I do not really understand, why your service department would not go ahead and replace both brake pads and clips??? Instead letting you suffer and wait for the new TSIB for only clips???

I think you should DEMAND them to install this current TSIB NOW!!!

Even if current clips is an old design, they should go ahead and replace them for now just to stop your pain & suffering, especially the EMBARRASSMENT (later replace with the new clips when new TSIB comes out)!!!

Quick Reply: Good News!!! New Tsib For Brakes!!!