GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

When are they going to redesign the GS.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 04:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't think the inifiniti m is dated at all
Old 10-23-08, 08:19 PM
BigDave
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
My best friend has an M35. And when my GS is parked next to his M, the infiniti looks dated. Or at least it just looks more staid in its appearance. The GS looks more modern and aggressive. Especially with 18" or larger wheels.
Old 10-24-08, 10:35 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
Maybe not aesthetically, but mechanically it was. When I cross-shopped the 3GS last yr, I looked hard at the M35, I liked the smartkey, Nav, 19" rims & paddle shifters, but the V6 only put out 275hp mated to a 5sp auto. They rectified this in '09, with a 306hp V6 and a new 7sp auto, but now the M is due for a redesign in '10 . . .
Old 10-24-08, 11:56 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
Maybe not aesthetically, but mechanically it was. When I cross-shopped the 3GS last yr, I looked hard at the M35, I liked the smartkey, Nav, 19" rims & paddle shifters, but the V6 only put out 275hp mated to a 5sp auto. They rectified this in '09, with a 306hp V6 and a new 7sp auto, but now the M is due for a redesign in '10 . . .
You associated it LOOKING dated to it's power. I suppose a 2008 Civic is dated because it has 200hp? Or the base Honda Accord with whatever it has. Just a rediculous point. Try again.
Stop using this word if you can't use it appropriately!
Old 10-24-08, 12:00 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reggiek
You associated it LOOKING dated to it's power. I suppose a 2008 Civic is dated because it has 200hp? Or the base Honda Accord with whatever it has. Just a rediculous point. Try again.
Stop using this word if you can't use it appropriately!
If I wasn't a n00b, I would point out the humor in someone calling out another person for using a word incorrectly, then misspelling "ridiculous" when describing that person.

Old 10-24-08, 12:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol that's too funny

while drivetrain can be part of the reasons too i guess, but that's to certain extend. if power is to be considered, then the 06 gs300 AND gs430 were both dated right off the bat, hehe
Old 10-24-08, 12:25 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kalvano
If I wasn't a n00b, I would point out the humor in someone calling out another person for using a word incorrectly, then misspelling "ridiculous" when describing that person.

I've been around here since 2002. I may be a vet but that doesn't really matter. Normally, I'm pretty cool. Over the years there have been a few people who use or over use the dated word. It just sounds so silly to me. Worse, other more gullable people will chime in because someone suggested it. People who call themselves enthusiasts. There are lots of people who are gearheads (love tinkering with cars) but I don't believe all are enthusiasts. In fact, I know a couple mechanics who have no like towards cars.
It's just hard for me to understand a true enthusiast calling a 3GS dated. Or a recent Maxima or M35. That's just reeeediculous.
Don't take what I say too hard, I'm just telling it like I see it.

And thanks for for your attempt at putting down my spelling.
Old 10-24-08, 01:04 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

And thanks for for your attempt at putting down my spelling.
No problem, anytime.
Old 10-24-08, 01:47 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Whoa Reg, calm down and re-read my post. I never said the M was 'dated'. In fact my post never mentioned the word, I just said when I was cross-shopping I went with the GS over the M for the drivetrain, which was clearly lagging for it's class. The OP is the guy throwing the 'd' word around, not moi . . . I think we can all agree that the 3GS is still the body style most copied and imitated.
Old 10-24-08, 02:17 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry but there is nothing dated about any of those 2 cars.
The only modern cars I'd call dated are the retro designed models. Other than that a car would have to be somewhere around 10 years old before I'd consider using the word dated. The square-bodied 1990 Nissan Sentra, that's dated because it's a completely no longer used design theme. Remember those hard edged, square looking cars of that era. That's dated. Not these modern-designed cars. People need to stop frivolously using that word.

people, and car mag editors, now use "dated" to mean last gen or older.
that means 5 years old or older.

you read it all the time in consumer reports, and some other car mags.
Old 10-24-08, 04:37 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDave
My best friend has an M35. And when my GS is parked next to his M, the infiniti looks dated. Or at least it just looks more staid in its appearance. The GS looks more modern and aggressive. Especially with 18" or larger wheels.
The Infiniti M was dated from the day it arrived to US from Japan. I dislike the fat rear end that resembled the previous generation Toyota Avalon and the flat front end. Boring car from a nice company.
Old 10-24-08, 04:46 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
people, and car mag editors, now use "dated" to mean last gen or older.
that means 5 years old or older.

you read it all the time in consumer reports, and some other car mags.
Meaning what. That doesn't justify the inappropriate use of the word. Journalists use it to help car manufacturers sell cars which keep mags in business writing about the latest model. They tell you a car is dated long enough, you'll want to buy the latest model....sometimes when it's uglier than the previous model. I don't believe all auto journalists are enthusiasts either but that's another topic. Doesn't matter anyway. They will say what they need to say to keep the paycheck coming in.

We should be above all that. We are car guys. Dated should be used only when it applies. If someone is bored with a current design, say that. That's their opinion. But suggesting it's dated allows others who could be more easily influenced to pile on to an idea that was just a suggestive opinion.

Plus, it's down right wrong....the 3GS dated......please.
Old 10-24-08, 10:03 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody has mentioned the residual of a 3 yr old GS. All being equal, the residual value of a GS is approx. 6% lower then an Infiniti M and 4% lower the the XF

So...if duplicating a design is the sincerest form of flattery, why do banks diss the GS with a lower residual?

*I* think the car will get a redesign in a couple years and I wouldn't be surprised if within the next few weeks Lexus decides on what the next generation looks like, have a prototype ready by March. '09 and go through 12-15 months of testing. I expect a new GS to appear in October 2010 as a 2011 MY.
Old 10-24-08, 10:51 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

...Journalists use it to help car manufacturers sell cars which keep mags in business writing about the latest model. They tell you a car is dated long enough, you'll want to buy the latest model....sometimes when it's uglier than the previous model.
Absolutely true. Good example of this is the new 4th gen 2009 Acura TL. Horrendous design...I would never be caught dead driving that car. And I am a previous 2nd gen TL owner.
Old 10-25-08, 07:08 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Nobody has mentioned the residual of a 3 yr old GS. All being equal, the residual value of a GS is approx. 6% lower then an Infiniti M and 4% lower the the XF

So...if duplicating a design is the sincerest form of flattery, why do banks diss the GS with a lower residual?

*I* think the car will get a redesign in a couple years and I wouldn't be surprised if within the next few weeks Lexus decides on what the next generation looks like, have a prototype ready by March. '09 and go through 12-15 months of testing. I expect a new GS to appear in October 2010 as a 2011 MY.
Residuals are not a reliable indicator. Infiniti overinflates their residuals, as does Jaguar (Jaguar has one of the worst resale values relative to MSRP of any car). They jack up the residual to get lower payments so people buy them, then just take the hit when the car is turned in. A 4 year old GS will be worth more than an M or XF (or comparable Jag).

Quick Reply: When are they going to redesign the GS.....