GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tommy-The Who vs Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 08:50 PM
coreyco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tommy-The Who vs Mark Levinson

So after picking up my GS last week I couldn't wait till my DVD-A of Tommy arrived. Today was the day. Put the new copy in and was extremely disappointed. First of all, there were some lyrics missing. I assume that's a result of the way it was mixed, and not the DVD player. I mean, Pete Townsend just remixed it recently, so maybe he thought all sound tracks were there.
Then I went from surround to non-surround mode, and couldn't believe how much fuller and richer it was when I disabled the surround mode. Anyone else have this experience with Mark Levinson?
Old 10-21-08, 04:23 PM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coreyco
So after picking up my GS last week I couldn't wait till my DVD-A of Tommy arrived. Today was the day. Put the new copy in and was extremely disappointed. First of all, there were some lyrics missing. I assume that's a result of the way it was mixed, and not the DVD player. I mean, Pete Townsend just remixed it recently, so maybe he thought all sound tracks were there.
Then I went from surround to non-surround mode, and couldn't believe how much fuller and richer it was when I disabled the surround mode. Anyone else have this experience with Mark Levinson?
Definitely turn off Surround when you play a DVD-A or a DTS 5.1 disc. Since both of those formats are recorded for 'surround sound systems in a 5.1 architecture' ... I think that the ML trying to decode it and recode it into surround just screws it up. I've had the same problem with Blue Man Groups DVD-A.
Old 10-22-08, 02:22 AM
coreyco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
Definitely turn off Surround when you play a DVD-A or a DTS 5.1 disc. Since both of those formats are recorded for 'surround sound systems in a 5.1 architecture' ... I think that the ML trying to decode it and recode it into surround just screws it up. I've had the same problem with Blue Man Groups DVD-A.
Thank-you, Doc. I was under the impression that the surround mode had to be turned on in order for the decoding to be done. If I understand you correctly, the 5.1 information is decoded automatically, if your source material is a DVD-A. Then is the "Surround On" option used to simulate surround on non-encoded formats and radio broadcasts?

On another note, I played my Tommy - The Who DVD-A on my home DVD player, and all tracks, including the vocals, were present when played through my 5.1 surround sound amp. I assume then, that there is a problem with my ML system, or amplifier, in my car. Well, I suppose its time for a trip to the dealer.