GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Parking Sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 09:52 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking Sensor problems

Do any of you guys have an issue with sensors going off pretty much any time the car is in reverse, regardless of being near an object?

I have this problem from my back sensors. I've cleaned them to make sure there was no dirt or anything on them, but still have the issue.

It's driving me insane! I never had this problem with my LS430.
Old 10-21-08, 10:02 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this same problem with my front ones, and the dealer replaced them according to the salesman. This was done prior to me taking delivery, so I don't have any work order.
Old 10-21-08, 11:47 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think dirt is usually the culprit. since you've cleaned them, time to have them replaced. especially if it's easy to demonstrate/duplicate. hopefully still under warranty.
Old 10-21-08, 01:26 PM
Archangel7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd get em checked out by the dealer. Especially if it's still doing it after you cleaned them.
Old 10-21-08, 02:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine do it also in the rear only I had the dealer look at them and they couldn't duplicate it and checked all the wires? I have an incline on my driveway and that makes it go crazy. Ill let you know if I figure it out!
Old 10-21-08, 04:16 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted similar recently. Mine has just been the rear right side. I also took mine to the dealer and they couldn't find a problem.

While I appreciated the suggestions I got (among those to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes), I just have a gut level feeling that if there's not an actual fault in the sensor, there must be some physical issue around it.

I shot some compressed air at/around the sensor on the back side of the bumper. Since I was lying directly under it, I know that some debris came out...I got a good taste of it.

The sensor hasn't gone off since, but it hasn't had all that many opportunities yet. If it goes several days without going off, I'll consider it probably fixed.
Old 10-21-08, 11:46 PM
haleakala
Driver School Candidate

Default same problem on my 06 gs430

I have the same exact problem on my '06gs430!

It started about a month ago and I noticed that it went off a lot more often when it was really hot out. Normally when I parked in an outdoor lot, the outside temp hit 90+ and then when I backed out of the spot, the red indicator and alarm went off.

It goes in this wknd for service, so it was something I was going to ask my dealer about.

If anyone finds out if there is an issue on the sensors, pls let us know.
thanks-
Old 10-22-08, 05:14 PM
mcyc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem as haleakala a while back. Apparantly it was a faulty sensor the the dealer replaced it under warranty.
Old 10-23-08, 03:02 PM
JasonC
Pole Position

my dealer told me that if I don't clean my car often and I wash it later that the dirt accumulates around the sensor. Haven't had any issues since then..I guess it's true.
Old 10-24-08, 05:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lol, I only wash my car when I bring into the dealer for an oil change, thats only because it free and I never had any problem with parking sensors.
Old 10-24-08, 08:31 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

usually a small dint from rocks hitting it will trigger it, but its kinda hard for a rock to hit it from the rear, but maybe a small dint would trigger it, me and a friend of mine have that same issue, but in the front
Old 10-30-08, 09:27 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drpepper
I shot some compressed air at/around the sensor on the back side of the bumper. Since I was lying directly under it, I know that some debris came out...I got a good taste of it.

The sensor hasn't gone off since, but it hasn't had all that many opportunities yet. If it goes several days without going off, I'll consider it probably fixed.
It's been well more than a week now with no false warnings.

Fixed? I don't know. I do know that it had been a near daily occurance.

I suppose if you're having the problem and you have access to a compressor, it's worth a shot.

I've probably jinxed myself now.
Old 10-31-08, 08:31 PM
GSPrincess
Driver School Candidate

I had this problem to and, initially, they couldn't replicate the problem but when picking it up from service, the service tech saw it when driving the car out to me. They replaced the sensors on the back bumper free of charge. Good Luck!
Old 11-02-08, 09:24 PM
haleakala
Driver School Candidate

Posted above that I had the same problem. The dealer replaced the defective sensors this past weekend during a regular service and the problem was solved!
Old 04-06-09, 12:02 AM
R4a2m0o
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an 04 LS430. This is actually my first post I don't even have a sig yet. The car is great except I am having a problem with one of my parking sensors. If you are looking at the rear bumper, it's the middle-left sensor. It is on constantly when the car is in reverse.

I tried cleaning it and disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, neither did anything. I put my parking brake on with the car in reverse and bumped the area around the sensor. A couple times it flinched but it didn't really do much. Then I blocked the sensor completely with my knee right up against it and it shut up. What does that mean? Bad sensor? How can I know for sure before I spend the money on a new one without paying satan (every other car forum I've been on calls the dealership satan) to diagnose it?

Last edited by R4a2m0o; 04-06-09 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Parking Sensor problems