GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Low tire Indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 07:46 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check to make sure your tire set A/B switch hasn't accidentally been put to the other set. This switch in way under the dash below the left corner og the glove compartment. If your car was recently vacuumed, the wiring to this switch may have been disconnected too.

Also try reinitializing the TPMS system. This switch is under the dash below the steering wheel column.

Descriptions/Instructions of both switches are in the owners manual.

steviej

If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer as this should be covered by warranty. Tell them you did put air in the tires and checked the pressures.

On a side note: tires will lose 1 psi for every 10 degree drop in outside temperature. It is very common for TPMS sensors to indicate low tire pressures as the weather becomes colder.

Last edited by steviej; 10-22-08 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-22-08, 08:02 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks steviej, will definitely try that first thing tomorrow morning
Old 10-26-08, 03:34 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Alright, i give up guys

This light is killing me, it just won't go away. Also, I dont know if its suppose to be like that or not, but I also have the red exclamation sign on the right gauge.

So far, I have tried to fill all tires with air, I have tried resetting TPMS. Checked the A/B switch, but nothing helps

One thing i did not do though. I did not check the spare tire, Ive heard that thing comes with a sensor as well. My question is, should I continue crawl around my car or just take it to a dealer and let them find the problem ?
Old 10-26-08, 04:31 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the spare. that's easy. otherwise take it in. my 2 cents. someone else said, warranty issue.
Old 10-27-08, 05:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont think the spare tire have a sensor.
Old 10-27-08, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I dont think the spare tire have a sensor.
that's what i thought, but no one confirmed either way
Old 10-27-08, 12:03 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

usually only full size spare tires have sensors on them, the donuts runs at a higher psi.
Old 10-27-08, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
usually only full size spare tires have sensors on them, the donuts runs at a higher psi.
yup, i know, that's what i have been questing, read my post #10

but post #9 is what i am doubting
Old 10-27-08, 04:42 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, i know, that's what i have been questing, read my post #10

but post #9 is what i am doubting
I can't say specifically if there is a sensor in the tire/rim or not, but there is a receiver in the spare's well so I presume there is. Both times when I've gotten the TPMS light, all four wheels were ~ 30psi which shouldn't throw the light (but it could depending on calibration of my gauge). Each time though I also checked the spare and it's been very low (s/b 60psi) and it was at 52.

Regardless, if you have a spare, you should check it's pressure regularly as well... just in case.

Old 10-27-08, 04:55 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Take it to the dealer, let them check tires for a nail That's what happened to me, tire got nailed last year. Oh, and if you have run-flats, pray God it’s repairable
Old 10-27-08, 07:30 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a sensor in the spare. I have had the same issue in the past and just filled up the tires and the light went away. I now keep mine at 40 PSI since low profile tires.
This past week I did have my light go off again but this time it was saying CHECK SYSTEM with the TPMS sensor light flashing! this was driving me crazy so i had the toyota dealership check pressure and they were fine. Since that is considered warranty work on the sensors I then took it to the Lexus dealership..the service rep tried the switch under the dash to reset it and that didn't work..so they took it back and just reset it after hooking up their scanner.
I have no problems now and it didn't take that long and I got a free car wash so i was ok with the time it took
Old 10-27-08, 09:09 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 2006 GS300 AWD came originally equipped with runfart tires and no spare. I put on conventional tires, purchased a spare tire (wheel) from Lexus and a donut tire from you tire guy. My donut spare does not have a sensor.

Very simple to tell. If the valve stem is black and rubber on your spare -- there ain't no sensor.

steviej
Old 10-27-08, 09:21 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

first of all dont run your tires at anything less then 36psi. anything lower then that will hurt gas mileage. during the summer i run most of my tires on the street at bout 38-40psi. when i go to the track that is when i play with it to get the most grip. usually about 35insh from and 36ish rear. when i go to drift day i go do about 35ish up front and about 60psi in the rear. makes the tire bubble up and reduce the contact path, thus making it easier to break them loose.

so GS came with sensor in the spare. some didnt. some dont even have one.

make the tire pressure about 36-38psi and check the spare. if it still acts up take it to the dealer so they clear it with the scanner. very simple. no need to do two pages of posts over a very simple common sense topic.

PS

laughing at the winter mode wipers and this. when i worked for toyota/lexus people would come with this all the time thinking their car was broken
Old 10-28-08, 05:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I dont think some spare have sensors and some dont, either they have it or they dont. Can somebody confrim this, just check out the spare donuts and see if it has a metal valve stem or rubber.
Old 10-28-08, 09:41 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I assume metal one will be TPMS. Since I just ditched my runflats after 30k and replaced it with Potenza RE960AS (LOVE IT!!!!!!!!), I had to buy a spare donut off junked GS300. Its supposed to be 17x4 black steel wheel with a tire (cost me $135 including hold down bolt from K & P Auto Dismantlers in CA). Is this what you guy have as a spare in your 3GS? Its still in the mail, expecting it any day now, but was curious what should I expect.

Quick Reply: Low tire Indicator?