GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

When lowering your vehicles..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 08:05 PM
WEBINTL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When lowering your vehicles..

Do most people leave the stock struts or do they change them? I want a somewhat smooth ride.
Old 10-29-08, 08:10 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you want to change them, do it right the first time.
Old 10-29-08, 08:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PNice972
you want to change them, do it right the first time.
however i still don't know of an aftermarket shock for the 3gs? most peope with springs here are just on stock shocks i believe

me i am a believe of coilovers
Old 10-30-08, 06:56 AM
WEBINTL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats a good smooth coilover to go with? I was looking at tanabe and tein!
Old 10-30-08, 11:46 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you care about ride comfort I'd probably get the Tein CS-T
Old 10-30-08, 02:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i have tein cst at the lowest coil and my ride is fine, no one complains about it
Old 10-30-08, 09:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I did the cheaper route of just doing springs. It saved me money, but the drop wasnt perfect and it was uneven left and right. I then changed to tein cst , like rominl, and have the perfect drop that want and actually have a better ride that I did with just the tein h tech springs. I agree with the crew. do it right the first time and save yourself time , headachge, and the extra money in the end
Old 10-31-08, 09:31 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I did the cheaper route of just doing springs. It saved me money, but the drop wasnt perfect and it was uneven left and right. I then changed to tein cst , like rominl, and have the perfect drop that want and actually have a better ride that I did with just the tein h tech springs. I agree with the crew. do it right the first time and save yourself time , headachge, and the extra money in the end
how could the drop with springs be uneven? it should lower your GS X inches depending on the spring you get. This is the first I've heard of uneven left and right lowering....
Old 10-31-08, 11:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Stormforge
how could the drop with springs be uneven? it should lower your GS X inches depending on the spring you get. This is the first I've heard of uneven left and right lowering....
actually that's the case on all stock cars. even back in the days when i had my tl-s, with comptech springs, left and right were not the same height. that's an inherent problem on most factory cars, the wheel gap aren't the same left and right. but since the gap is so big you don't notice

however when you start lowering the car, you start to notice the different gaps left and right, because springs lower the car the same amount left and right

that's where coilovers are much better, you can do different drop on each corner so your car looks level
Old 10-31-08, 12:41 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
actually that's the case on all stock cars. even back in the days when i had my tl-s, with comptech springs, left and right were not the same height. that's an inherent problem on most factory cars, the wheel gap aren't the same left and right. but since the gap is so big you don't notice

however when you start lowering the car, you start to notice the different gaps left and right, because springs lower the car the same amount left and right

that's where coilovers are much better, you can do different drop on each corner so your car looks level
Thx for the clarification...I never noticed the gap difference when I lowered my TL!
Old 10-31-08, 01:37 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
its common, ive seen it before. alot of times people arent usually on level ground when they are looking at their car which gives that illusion. also depending on the spring rate and the weight shift in the car, you could have one side lower than the other.

i should of gotten rwd so i could get coilovers
Old 11-01-08, 06:08 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Out of all the cars I have lowered the Lexus is the only car I had an issue with the car sitting lower on the driver side only. Caused me to do fender mods on my last car.

I went with springs, got a deal I couldnt pass up and I had a shop to lift the car and install them with the help of a few other local members. Its perfect IMO....I will have to see how it sits once I throw rims on next summer.

I also had the Electronic Suspension (Sport/Normal) so I wanted to take advantage of having that feature and I like it! I can have it soft for every day driving or I can put it on the sport mode and feel every little bump! There is also a huge price difference from springs to coils. IMO get coils if you are going to track your car, if its a everyday street car they are a waste of $$. Paying ~1500 + to "make" your car look like it sits level?
Old 11-01-08, 12:34 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
IMO get coils if you are going to track your car, if its a everyday street car they are a waste of $$. Paying ~1500 + to "make" your car look like it sits level?
I think I would go coilovers mainly so you don't wear out your shocks prematurely and for the customization of the drop and rates.
Old 11-02-08, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mesca
I think I would go coilovers mainly so you don't wear out your shocks prematurely and for the customization of the drop and rates.
not to mention i don't know of any springs that i can make my car this low

and funny i know of so many brands of cars that sit different left and right, from lexus to acura to subaru to infiniti, and from bmw to mb to audi. seen it all, some might not be as obvious
Old 11-02-08, 01:14 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and funny i know of so many brands of cars that sit different left and right, from lexus to acura to subaru to infiniti, and from bmw to mb to audi. seen it all, some might not be as obvious
possibly true but never once lowering any of the above cars you mentioned did I rub on one side of the car and not the other I will find out next summer if the GS will have the same issues I did with the IS. I know the issues I had on the drivers side (L) of the IS and how much work I had to put into it to make it work. I was up for the challenge so it wasnt a huge issue.

I sit dead level on the GS with an ~2" drop. I had a few of the guys over today and they where very impressed with the drop and how it sits perfect front/rear. Works for me

Quick Reply: When lowering your vehicles..