GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

hub centering rings on aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 02:52 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO...its a must to have hubcentric rings and core.

And if you add spacers to push the wheels out....the spacers should have hubcentric core....like H&R spacers...all of their spacers 10 mm + have hubcentric cores built in.

If you buy Project Kics spacers...the hubcentric cores are sold separately.

Not having hubcentric rings/cores can lead to uneven tire wear, vibration, etc...

I rather spend a bit more now....than have a bigger problem later.

Pete
Old 11-20-08, 04:39 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been using hub rings about 20 years now and the only time I had a problem it was the fault of the wheel, not the ring. Hub rings work well if the wheel is the right fitment.
Twice I've tried wheels that were originally drilled for Benz fitment; had them redrilled for Lexus and never got them balanced perfectly to my satisfaction. SOme would have accepted them but not me. Couldn't blame the rings. The same exact rings worked perfectly with wheels designed to fit the car.
Naturally, wheels designed to be hubcentric without rings are the best but rings are perfectly safe and work well.
Old 11-20-08, 05:16 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesca
Is it still possible to shear off your lugs even if you have hubcentric rings? I feel like I don't want to go above 80 because it starts shaking uncomfortably
Originally Posted by rominl
shake above 80? something is very strong with the balancing. i can go over 100mph and there is still no vibration
It is possible to shear the studs off your hub due to vibrations even with rings. If your wheels are shaking this could be due to out of round tires or inner/outter lips. A really good balance job should fix most of it, but little shaking will still occur. Don't let all this talk about wheels and shaking get your all stirred up.

Go back and get your wheels rebalanced at another place, ask them to place it on the machine and check it before they redo the balancing if its off.

After getting my rings going from zero to 110+ was smooth, it actually got smoother as I went 80+. 100+ was butter.
Old 11-20-08, 05:59 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Na, the vibration isn't much, not anymore that is, just a little bit. Also I think it could just be the extra road feel from really low profile tires and high psi. But the guy installing it he balanced it to all 0 but one wheel had a small "hop" to the rotation of it. I'm thinking it was improper tire mounting or an out of round tire. What you guys think? Hehe, I'm going to Vegas for Thanksgiving so I'd like to have nice peace of mind!
Old 11-20-08, 08:39 PM
jr1966
Driver

Possible vibration. Which could lead to possible shearing off of your lugs. It's not forsure, but like i said, possible.
It's not "possible vibration", but "sure vibration" without hub rings. I've tried hub rings in my 7-series and still had vibrations at, let's say, 15% remaining and around 40-50mph that wouldn't go away despite changing all suspension and steering components to new. This is the reason why I was kind of hesitant to go to non-hubcentric aftermarket wheels for my GS (which is all I can find for my car) and would like to hear more from those who have used hub rings if anyone mirrors my experience.
Old 11-20-08, 09:25 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Na, the vibration isn't much, not anymore that is, just a little bit. Also I think it could just be the extra road feel from really low profile tires and high psi. But the guy installing it he balanced it to all 0 but one wheel had a small "hop" to the rotation of it. I'm thinking it was improper tire mounting or an out of round tire. What you guys think? Hehe, I'm going to Vegas for Thanksgiving so I'd like to have nice peace of mind!
You will be safe! Don't worry about it.
Old 11-24-08, 08:16 AM
NGlaser
Driver School Candidate

Default Dumb question or not?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I'm not the brightest light in the room. When running a wheel that requires a centering ring does this put more pressure, or worst yet all the pressure on the studs or does the ring itself absorb some of the weight?
Old 11-24-08, 10:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no, the rings are there to help you center the wheel, so all the lug nuts are tightened onto the studs with equal force. actually if done right, there shouldn't be much force on the rings at all, it's just for alignment

on the other hand, if you don't use rings, then when you tighten lugs, you do put a lot more uneven force on the studs/lugs
Old 11-24-08, 07:49 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TOM's Racing wheels for the GS are made for the GS350 so they are hubcentric from the manufacturer. (They are now for sale in Wheels Classifieds) Every other wheel I have owned, I have purchased hubcentric adapter rings. (Why would you NOT do this for a few more bucks?) it makes a huge difference and reduces any chance of vibrations.
Old 11-25-08, 03:55 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

hub rings arent techincally needed but its a very good idea to have them. like others have mentioned it centers the wheel on the hub instead of the lugs which puts the weight and stress on the hub which is much stronger than the studs. if you dont run hub rings you can get vibrations and you run a much higher risk of shearing studs off. you can shear studs off with hub rings too but it doesnt have to do with the hub rings. its usually people who cross thread their lugs by mistake.