GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Attention People.....Need your HONEST opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 10:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
this "knock off" thing is getting out of hand. that's like saying every 5 spoke wheel in the world is a knock off.

the design of this vertini is NOTHING alike. not a single detail other than having 10 spokes and 5 holes.
I will pull back the statement if someone can educate me on this wheel company. I have never heard of them before.

Old 11-20-08, 10:13 AM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by junjdm
here's a similar Vossen wheel. who did they knock off? Work, or vertini? :
this "knock off" thing is getting out of hand. that's like saying every 5 spoke wheel in the world is a knock off.

the design of this vertini is NOTHING alike. not a single detail other than having 10 spokes and 5 holes.
i agree with dunnojack lol....i have the work wheels and i knew they werent that similar other than splited 10 spokes. The work wheels actually have pretty fat spokes its just that most people have it two toned so the spokes seem thinner
Old 11-20-08, 10:18 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I will pull back the statement if someone can educate me on this wheel company. I have never heard of them before.
seriously man? you have NEVER heard of VERTINI?? they are the shiet *sarcastic*

but here you go

http://www.vertiniwheels.com/aboutus.htm

they seem to be related to Koya racing wheel which again i have never heard of

http://www.koyaracing.com/index.htm
Old 11-20-08, 10:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

since this thread took a turn about knock offs (which i tried to avoid), here's my take

personally i don't think the wheels are knock off on the work wheels. imho there are enough difference between the two. to me knock off is when konig pretty much copied the volk av3 COMPLETELY, that's knock off. taking a 10 split spoke design, i think that's just a style

however, at the same time, i don't feel comfortable with this company neither. i have never heard of them, that's a very bad sign already considering i have been following the industry for 6 years. so to me they have a lot of reputation to catch up and prove.

there are only so many wheel styles out there, but there are about a trillion wheel companies now (especially since everyone and their godfather can start their own light of forged wheels), my guess is a lot of them are going to be so similar. it's up to companies to have their own twists and such to their wheels

also, i have no problem with people not understanding vip culture and what not. that's fine, auto industry is a big industry. just like i don't understand much about hot rod, or low riders, etc... but i try to be humble and courteous when people talk about it. i learn, and i ask. i wouldn't just go and say they look like crap just because i don't understand them, that's disrespect. i just find it funny that some people they don't understand vip culture, bash about it, ditch about it, but at the same time calling their cars "vip style" straight from the beginning.
Old 11-20-08, 11:13 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow...didn't expect the thread to get like this...lol......thanks for the in-put guys....showed my friend this thread...and I think he gets the point.....haha
Old 11-20-08, 11:57 AM
lexusgs408
Lead Lap

very nice wheels but yeah not VIP but nice................
Old 11-20-08, 12:31 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vietdeluxx
.....So is it better for someone to ride stock or have "knock offs" on a Lexus? What do you guys think?
i would just roll the factory rims until you have enough money to get some non knock-off wheels. take your time and get something no one has, it'll make your ride original and stand out more!

thats why i chose the wheels i put on my car. i know the guy who builds Kartier wheels and at the time, there wasnt another 3GS out there with my wheels. i like that.

there is definitely people out there that dont like my wheels, but what do i care?? most agree they look good and i like em. thats all that matters!
Old 11-20-08, 01:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 07350FROST
take your time and get something no one has, it'll make your ride original and stand out more!

most agree they look good and i like em. thats all that matters!
Old 11-20-08, 01:30 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

THANK YOU
Old 11-20-08, 03:33 PM
roy1928
Lexus Test Driver

those are dope wheels! i would "rock them"
Old 11-20-08, 04:28 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont get this " not VIP". I guess VIP wheels look like **** because those wheels are hardcore. Thery are gorgeous. I am so tired of the " VIP criteria". There are nice looking cars and bad looking cars. Those wheels will make the car look nice. Amazing in fact. VIP wheels are chunky , heavy, and ugly.
I'm with you. I don't get it either. I thought VIP was extreme offsets and monster lips. Nothing in the design constitutes VIP, has more to do with fitment. At least that's what I thought.
There are just too many talking parrot heads on this site now. Some guy says something and 20 other guys see it and repeat it. They don't use original thought in replying to topics just parrot talk.
I'm getting sick of these parrot lines:
-It's VIP
-That's not VIP
-Those are kock offs
-Needs to be slammed; drop it; drop it like it's hot
-Those wheels are crap
-Save your money to buy better wheels
-That car is dated

I miss the OG's who took the time to make meaningful replies to explain their opinions. To do that you need credible information or thoughtful conclusions.

I just gave myself the answer to my frustration. Never mind.
Old 11-20-08, 08:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default poly wanna a lexus!!!

Originally Posted by Ice350
I'm with you. I don't get it either. I thought VIP was extreme offsets and monster lips. Nothing in the design constitutes VIP, has more to do with fitment. At least that's what I thought.
There are just too many talking parrot heads on this site now. Some guy says something and 20 other guys see it and repeat it. They don't use original thought in replying to topics just parrot talk.
-It's VIP
-That's not VIP
-Those are kock offs
-Those wheels are crap
-That car is dated

I miss the OG's who took the time to make meaningful replies to explain their opinions. To do that you need credible information or thoughtful conclusions.

I agree with you point as well. If you dont go along with the parrott talk then you are " disrespectful " or you dont " understand " . They will be the first to tell you your car or wheels are not VIP, but at the same time they will tell you that their own car would not be considered VIP. Like I have said many times. My ride is ME. I. P. IMO its better than VIP. lol

In terms of knock off wheels. There is no such thing unlesss every detail of the wheels are the same and it has the same logo. If not, I guess my Lexus is a Mercedes knock off. both have 4 wheels, 4 doors, an engine, leather seats, Nav, and all of the modern bells and whistles, and its alot cheaper. I should be ashamed. lmao:

In terms of the wheel desgin that the OP posted. I know its not the standard chunky monblock wheels that are found on many VIP cars, but the work wheels are almost the same design and they are " VIP". This perfectly illustrates my frustration with the " VIP Criteria/ Vip checklist". If you guys would be more direct you would just tell the OP that the wheels are not from japan and he may be shot in a public square for mounting anything non JDM on his VIP car. LMAO. come on guys, there are similar designs and there are knock offs. If its a JDM thing than just say it.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-20-08 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-20-08, 08:44 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

My car wasnt low enough and my wheels, although more exspensive and exclusive than any work wheel, were not VIP because they were made in america.
having a more expensive wheel doesn't mean anything. you can have all the money in the world and still be tasteless.

I dont get this " not VIP". I guess VIP wheels look like **** because those wheels are hardcore. Thery are gorgeous. I am so tired of the " VIP criteria". There are nice looking cars and bad looking cars. Those wheels will make the car look nice. Amazing in fact. VIP wheels are chunky , heavy, and ugly.
better than being skinny, lip-less, and tall.

VIP wheels are what they are, there are ugly ones and good looking ones. the ones OP is showing us, is not vip style, and that's all the OP is asking.

Last edited by ElitistK; 11-20-08 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-20-08, 08:56 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ice350
-It's VIP
-That's not VIP
-Those are kock offs
-Those wheels are crap
-That car is dated

Originally Posted by boosty.vip
According to Taketomi, true VIP style tuning is limited to only 10 Nissan and Toyota models: Nissan President, Cima, Gloria, Cedric and Fuga; Toyota Celsior, Century, Aristo, Crown and Majesta. That’s it.
Originally Posted by v8 aristo
I think the problem with someone trying to do VIPstyle on a non traditional platform is they don't know enough about the style to really it acheive that VIPstyle look. Sure, any one can slap on nice fitting wheels, slam the car and put a bodykit on and call it VIPstyle, but does it make it VIPstyle? Maybe or maybe not, and who is there to say that is not? If everyone did this, then VIPstyle would get lose in the translation. The style would be as meanless as "JDM", which in it's true form are nothing but original OEM parts (or cars) from Japanese that wasn't available for international consumption.

Call me a purist or elitist, just because I believe that VIPstyle belongs on certain platforms. But if nobody stands up to the real tradition of VIPstyle, then the word "VIPstyle" will be thrown around like any generic term "because it's the next coolest thing to come out of Japan". Do we really want VIPstyle to blow up and be a household word, not me if it's for the wrong reasons. I would rather get respect from the originator of the style than have a US version of VIPstyle so it will be more marketable for the US manufacturers. This is what it really boils down to, VIPstyle is the lastest trend to come out of Japan. And as with any style that comes out of Japan, alot of people want to be a part of it.
there's your education. this is what happens when you don't do enough homework and you start throwing terms around on the internet; you get schooled.
Old 11-20-08, 09:12 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

yes I called my car VIP style, but the you and your buddies made sure I was very aware that I could NOT call my car VIP or VIP style because I didnt meet the checklist of requirments. My car wasnt low enough and my wheels, although more exspensive and exclusive than any work wheel, were not VIP because they were made in america. I now call it ME.I.P so that I dont upset anyone. I really dont care about VIP personally because I know I drive one of the baddest lexus GS350's in AZ. Thats all I wanted to learn how to do when I joined this forum, and I have reached that goal. Thanks for your help rominl ,you are truely a lexus guru
TSW wheels are more expensive and exclusive than Work wheels?

They are something you can find for cheap at America Tire Co. I'd expect to see them on a Altima or Maxima, not a GS.

BTW no one cares if you're VIP or not. Just don't try to claim that you're something you're not when you clearly don't understand it. If you like what you've done with your car, then good for you.

Quick Reply: Attention People.....Need your HONEST opinion...