GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

UGH... the winter squeaks...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 03:40 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thomastan...nicely done...you have your car back.

The cost of my quick fix?...about $1.20. Now, I hope it will last. If not, will rinse and repeat.
Old 11-23-08, 04:22 PM
BoingR6
Driver School Candidate

Thomaston,

would you be able to snap a few pics of the area you applied the felt to? As well as the type of black felt you used.
THanks in advance
Old 11-23-08, 04:30 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BoingR6,

I apply 5 pieces to the front dashboard from one end of the windshield to the other end. As far as type of black felt...i use all of them already so don't really have a piece left to take a picture of. It's a black felt from Michael's ... about a piece of paper size and i just folded them up and use a flat small and flat big screw driver and slowly work in between the dashboard and the windshield. I got it pretty secure away and you will never notice it was there. I also did the rear windshield but only put one piece of felt on each corner.
Old 11-23-08, 04:40 PM
BoingR6
Driver School Candidate

Great thanks thomaston.
Old 11-23-08, 06:41 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Sad the dealers don't know how to fix this issue =(

Thanks for the info maybe I will try this although I feel as if all the money I'm paying would mean I didnt have to
Old 11-23-08, 08:29 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

*MelYW*

thx so much for the tip
Old 11-23-08, 08:46 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

This is sad. My car squeeks more than my friends 94 civic thats modified....

Will try the felt thing......
Old 11-23-08, 10:01 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

My 02 GS430 doesn't even squeak at all and i just purchase this 06 GS430 and wow...couldn't believe it when i drove it home on a cold night. It was horrible and embarrasing because the wife told me you just paid $30k for a Lexus that made noises. Well, i have a friend that's a service advisor ( Park Place Lexus ) and call him up awhile ago. He told me that noise is very common on the GS...he said that they still haven't figure what is causing that noise and he heard from one of the tech guys saying it's because of the fitment of the dashboard rubbing the windshield. Just to let you guys know...i just put the felt in today and i did test drive around the block on a bumpy road and couldn't hear anything anymore but i will post up more info. after a ride to Dallas tomorrow and let you guys know if the felt really works.
Old 11-23-08, 10:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

they should be able to sort it out for you.
Old 11-24-08, 05:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mcukier
So I got my beautiful '08 GS350 in May, enjoyed the summer... and now that the cold weather has come my dash is SQUEAKING AND RATTLING like a $10,000 P.O.S.

I just dropped it at the dealership (Lexus of Watertown) and I'm leaving it with them for a week (I'll be out of town for Turkey Day, so...). I'm REALLY hoping that they fix it, because quite frankly it's very annoying to pay that kind of cash for a car and hear those kinds of noises...

Anyways, I guess I just wanted to vent more than anything... and I guess I'm really hoping to hear some success stories from others that had their squeaks successfully cured... :-)

Regards,
Mark
Mark, I went to Watertown Lexus last year to fix the rattle on my old GS. They are really good at it, which is kind of scary because that means there are a lot of GS and IS with the same problems. The foreman there is really good and they have a guy there that specialize in the squeaks and rattles if you can believe that
They fix the squeaking dashboard and the ticking lower windshield by removing the windshield clips from the lower windshield. They padded and felted the center console, all AC vents and the lower windshield cowl. They apply the wind noise kit and the wind kit, I don’t have the part # handy. The TSB for all those fixes only apply for the 06 and 07, not the 08.
To make a long story short, the car stop squeaking when I got it back. The gaps in the center console were wider than it was when it was new. Fast forward to 3 months ago. The door starting rattling, so did the sunroof and behind the coin tray. Also the upper windshield started ticking. I was hearing the rattles, ticking and squeaks in stereo and surround sound Finally I could not take no more and got rid of it.

Good Luck with your fix, the GS is really a wonderful car except for the rattles and brake.
Old 11-24-08, 01:24 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

LOL, me and my future wife were driving home last night and it was around 30 degrees here in NJ. Wow, the car was rattling and squeeking like crazy. I never had these problems in my 04 Grand prix. I really don't want to take it to the dealer, because I know when people takes things apart, it rarely goes back the same way. I might try the felt and see if it helps. I have an 08 model too.
Old 11-24-08, 03:37 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Test drove today...felt didn't work....damn lexus can't make a good car anymore !!!
Old 11-24-08, 03:50 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's an annoying but common problem. most dealers have seen lots of these and they do know what it is. shouldn't be a problem to begin with, every body agrees. but it can fixed.
Old 11-24-08, 06:39 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Im so mad about all of this. I am getting madder with every passing day and there's no solution. It seems like something a team of engineers could easily fix, but nobody is even trying. Starting to wish I never bought this car, and this is only because of my horrible brakes and dash rattling. I like everything else about the car, I just don't know why Lexus/Toyota is not doing anything to fix it.
Old 11-24-08, 06:44 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

^ yes its sad. very sad. a lexus that rattles like a really old car.

Quick Reply: UGH... the winter squeaks...