GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

UGH... the winter squeaks...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 07:27 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

temps are in the 70's in socal.

my car is a rattle box now. surround sound 5.1 rattles. I can't even tell where they're coming from. they're all over.
I've got a tolerance to it, except the windshield tapping sound. Gonna get that fixed soon.
Car is almost 4 years old, so I don't really give a sheet anymore.

Porsches rattle, right?
If that is true, then I'm ok with rattles...
Old 12-15-10, 07:49 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by username32
So if i am reading this right, this happens with cold, so it has something to do with material expansion and contraction from heat and cold then? Maybe the dash material expands size when its heated to close the gap of squeaks. I have the same rattle when temps get down in the 50s, but in the day nada, quiet as a house mouse. I wonder if sticking a foam strip along the dash/windshield seam help quiet the rattles.
Long as when you squeeze the foam, it doesn't make any noise.
What I did was I cut two pieces of rubber foams (7 inch long ) and stuffed between the dashboard & the windshield (between the vent opening & small loud speaker w.r.t the dashboard) on both sides. The rattle is complete gone.
Now if I can have Lexus to fix the other famous squealing brake, then I will be happy.

Here is the picture of my rubber foam.
Attached Thumbnails UGH... the winter squeaks...-001.jpg   UGH... the winter squeaks...-003.jpg  
Old 12-16-10, 01:18 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

the only thing holding me back from using that rubber foam behind the windshield is the summer heat.

the glass gets burning hot, and i'm afraid it will melt the rubber and make a mess.

I've seen infiniti owners talking about their weatherstrips melting and leaving a sticky mess.
Old 12-16-10, 04:55 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This year, maybe because I went crazy with foam over the summer, so far even when it's been -10C or colder out I haven't noticed anything. Knock on wood.

What I put in between the dash and the windshield at a few points was jamming thick cut pieces of black eraser in there. I would have rather used thick felt but I couldn't find anywhere nearby that actually sold it. It seems to be working but I'd rather have the felt, though you can't see anything. At this point I imagine it would be pretty difficult for me to even get the eraser out.
Old 12-16-10, 08:00 AM
skim07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the only thing holding me back from using that rubber foam behind the windshield is the summer heat.

the glass gets burning hot, and i'm afraid it will melt the rubber and make a mess.

I've seen infiniti owners talking about their weatherstrips melting and leaving a sticky mess.
agreed. I'd like to try the thick rubber foam but will it melt in summer heat and sun?
Old 12-16-10, 08:36 AM
mrblack
Rookie

Lexus has had my 07 since last Friday. Suppose to be getting it back either today or tomorrow. They are doing the cam gear "3 second engine tick at startup" issue and addressing the dash board noise. We'll see how they did soon enough... My main concern was the car only just started the bad squeaking when I made the svc appt. And the 45 minute right to the dealer on a 19 degree morning my car didn't make 1 single noise. I was relieved though once the service guy told me they had the dash apart and were applying the "fix" and it would be a few days at least.

If the squeak near the windshield comes back I think I will def try to do the felt thing mentioned here by others. Maybe even put silicone lube on the felt first?

Also another noise I here that I have not heard anyone else mention is a click or something coming from the lower back part of the driver seat when the weight in the car shifts like going on or off an exit/off ramp or changing lanes less than gracefully but not driving like an *** or anything. I cant reproduce it by shifting my body around only when turning really. Almost as if the bolts holding the seat to the floor are ever so slightly loose. But it could be from within the seat itself not sure hard to place when you are sitting in the seat driving. I've adjusted the lumbar and position of the seat to see if the internal mechanics were involved and it makes no difference. Dealer didn't hear it then I told him to put someone similar to my 225lbs and he said oh the guy who took it out was a lighter guy maybe he will have to drive it since he is similar sized.

Good luck to all dealing with their noises. I know what you mean about the bad mood thing when driving your car. I HATE hearing imperfections

UPDATE:

Just spoke with the service consultant. They have the dash out applied one of the fixes but now they hearing something by the cowling so they are addressing that. At least they are taking their time and letting the car cool down outside and retake for test rides to make their best effort to reproduce and address any noises. That makes me feel better. Since they have been dealing with the dash they haven't done the cam gears yet so It will be next week hopefully. Good thing my loaner RX460h has the bells and whistles I need for my creature comforts ie satellite radio.

Last edited by mrblack; 12-16-10 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-16-10, 08:39 AM
mrblack
Rookie

People who are concerned about this should heat test their foam first with a hair dryer or heat gun and see if it melts at a reasonable temperature.
Old 12-16-10, 10:23 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

I just got done putting the felt in between the windshield and dash. I cut a series of four different pieces of felt about 3 inches wide and about a foot long. I then folded them in half and put the open end of the fold down into the crack. I carefully pushed it down with a small screwdriver until I just couldn't see it.

I could reproduce the sound by pushing in on the dash at the top of the gauge cluster. After I was done, I pushed it back and forth with not a sound at any of the areas. I took a small video of it if anyone cares to see it.

Here are the pictures of the type of felt I used and how I used it. I got this felt from Hobby Lobby.

I hope this helps you guys out.
Old 12-16-10, 10:36 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

yay its cold again! time for the suspension to start its usual squeaking
Old 12-16-10, 01:42 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmade22

I could reproduce the sound by pushing in on the dash at the top of the gauge cluster. After I was done, I pushed it back and forth with not a sound at any of the areas. I took a small video of it if anyone cares to see it.

Here are the pictures of the type of felt I used and how I used it. I got this felt from Hobby Lobby.

I hope this helps you guys out.

yeah, please post the video to youtube or something.
I'd like to hear what sound you were getting.
Old 12-16-10, 04:22 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
yay its cold again! time for the suspension to start its usual squeaking
Do your BCR coils squeak ?????
Old 12-16-10, 06:23 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

I have them for two hot summers now. No melting.
The pad is pushed below the tinted part of the windshield so it's not directly exposed to the sunlight.

Last edited by chuckGS350; 12-16-10 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-16-10, 08:14 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Good thing I have not had any squeaks and squeals from my dash also since I park my car in the winter maybe thats the reason i never hear anything.
Old 12-17-10, 12:15 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
I have them for two hot summers now. No melting.
The pad is pushed below the tinted part of the windshield so it's not directly exposed to the sunlight.

where did you buy that kind of foam?

home depot doesn't have that.

maybe this foam pipe insulation might work?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Old 12-17-10, 12:18 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

I will be calling 1-800-25LEXUS later on today and will bring up the rattles. I've had my car for 10 months and I've taken it in about 4 times for dash rattles, squeaks and noisy brakes! Everytime i go to get it back my SA says.."we did what we can, keep us posted". What a joke!

Last edited by msgs350; 12-17-10 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Misspellings

Quick Reply: UGH... the winter squeaks...