GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Opinions:Ipod - Console or glove box ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 02:16 PM
ejvette
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions:Ipod - Console or glove box ?

I am having the PS nav override module and the Vais SLI/SL2i - iPod adapter installed on friday. the ipod will remain in the car and with the PS module i should access to all the features ie:Playlist browsing,Artist browsing Album browsing,Genre browsing on the CD/mp3 screen so i should never have to touch the ipod. Is there any reason to have it in the console as opposed to the glove box ?

Thanks in advance for your input
Old 11-24-08, 03:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

me personally i choose the console. i just think you never know that one time you want to take out the ipod when driving both ways for a clean install you need to drill a hole anyway. the console you can take out the bottom cover and a small hole is perfect. the glove box, you can drill a hole right by the ac filter lid, but that means the wire is kind of in the way of the filter
Old 11-24-08, 03:55 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did consider the glove box to begin with but since I did the install myself, it was much easier for me to cut a small notch to get the wire into the center storage bin than anything I could figure out for the glovebox. So it's still out of sight unless I open the center arm rest/storeage door. And Henry nailed it. If you ever do want to get at it for whatever reason, much more convenient and safer if it's not in the glove box.
Old 11-24-08, 04:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The dealership mounted mine in the glove . I like it there because I have room in the console for my crap. easier to reach the console than the glove while driving.
Old 11-24-08, 11:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ecount00
I did consider the glove box to begin with but since I did the install myself, it was much easier for me to cut a small notch to get the wire into the center storage bin than anything I could figure out for the glovebox. So it's still out of sight unless I open the center arm rest/storeage door. And Henry nailed it. If you ever do want to get at it for whatever reason, much more convenient and safer if it's not in the glove box.
very good point, to get it to the glove box you need to take apart more panels, more hassle imho
Old 11-24-08, 11:47 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

use velcro and stick it in the middle of the steering wheel. this way you can use the other ipod functions and drive

lol... other than that the console sounds more practical
Old 11-25-08, 09:53 AM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed mine I just place it in the glove box b/c there was no drilling involved (at least not on the 06 version). There is a small trapezoid looking door that if you open it (located on the left side) that is where I connected the iPod cord and put the door back. I figured I wouldn't need to access to the iPod unless I go to the gym so the glove box is a good fit.

Initially I wanted to put it in the console but didn't want to rip up the bottom of the console and drill a hole so luckily I found that trapezoid looking door and I didn't have to take the glovebox off or anything. It was pretty simple.
Old 11-25-08, 10:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

there is a door on the left side? umm.... i need to take a look again, didn't recall seeing any. but yes, if there is an opening, that's perfect coz' you can pretty much access it after taking out the nav unit i suppose
Old 11-25-08, 10:32 AM
ejvette
Driver

Thanks for the input guys i think i will go with the glove box. 1 big reason is my center console is already full lol I have this unexplainable need to carry lots of "stuff" in my car !
Old 11-25-08, 11:28 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
there is a door on the left side? umm.... i need to take a look again, didn't recall seeing any. but yes, if there is an opening, that's perfect coz' you can pretty much access it after taking out the nav unit i suppose

Likewise, i missed that. I poked around for a while on the glovebox trying to figure it out and then decided the console was a better opiton. Which was convenient since I couldnt figure out how to easily get into the glove box. Now I'll have to look again to see if i can find said trapezoid. Even tho I don't want to move it. It's a sickness.
Old 11-25-08, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

same here, i will just have to see if there is an opening just for the heck of it
Old 11-25-08, 06:40 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
same here, i will just have to see if there is an opening just for the heck of it
I promise there is an opening at least on the 06 GS... Don't lose any sleep over it tho..haha

I'll see if I can take pics of it tomorrow after work.
Old 11-26-08, 06:04 PM
bigalexus
Rookie

I put mine in the center console but thats because im always taking it in and out when i go to school,gym,etc. It was also very easy installing it in the center console.
Old 11-26-08, 10:39 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

I tried to take some quick pics from my phone (hence the poor quality) to show you where the hidden door is... No force needed to open the door... Just pry it back and it will pop out. I was considering the console as well but I didn't want to do any drilling. This works for me b/c the iPod stays in the car most of the time unless I take it out to add new songs or go to the gym.

Here is the shot of the hidden door in the glove box on the left wall.

Here is the shot of sliding the iPod cord through that door.

Here is the shot of the iPod with the door back to it original spot.

Old 11-27-08, 12:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah damn i forgot to check the car, but that's a big *** opening i need to "find" it

thanks for the pics!!! will check it out tmr

Quick Reply: Opinions:Ipod - Console or glove box ?