GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Emporer Mark Levinson is not wearing any clothes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 07:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
My mistake then, I thought they would be the same since they're both Lexus, and similar in size. I wouldn't have thought Lexus will spend extra $$ just to design a system to fit each car when they're so similar.
i think they are all pretty different. for example when i have my rx loaner the premium audio is so awful i couldn't even stand it
Old 12-01-08, 08:35 PM
LexFather

One of the greatest thread titles EVER
Old 12-01-08, 09:14 PM
coreyco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
One of the greatest thread titles EVER
Coming from one with over 40,000 posts to his credit, addressed to a newby with only a few dozen posts, I must say I am deeply humbled and appreciative.
Old 12-01-08, 10:55 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought the ML version 3GS for the upgraded stereo but mostly for other options that came with it, much like most have stated.

well, to be honest, i wouldnt settle for anything other than a Glacier Frost Mica with Black interior car. and in 2007 that was the 2nd rarest color combo available. this car had ML, i didnt care about the extra $4K or whatever it was.
Old 12-04-08, 06:59 PM
coreyco
Rookie

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
I couldn't have agreed more on what you said about the system, the ML is disappointing.

Mine is set with surround off.

Assuming the range goes from -5 to +5...can't recall the range, and too lazy to go out to the garage to check.
Bass - 2.5
Mid - 0
Trebble - 5
Balance/Fade - center
I tried your formula on the ML system, and was quite surprised that increasing the treble does indeed help FM audio performance. I tweaked your numbers a bit, and came up with a slight variation which I found to be the best tonal balance for FM reception (of course, the perfect setting is in the ear of the beholder):

DSP: Off
Balance/fade - Center
Bass +3
Treble +4
Mid -1
Old 12-04-08, 07:55 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

You won't be able to increase fm signal performance with the ML system, it will faithfully reproduce the signal input to a degree that is amazing. Fm audio input is poor, output will be poor also. ML will not attenuate or use compression algorithims to mute across it's frequency range . That may not be what you are looking for in car audio, but to my ear, it's among the best factory audio systems I have ever heard.
Old 12-06-08, 12:12 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coreyco
As far as the DVD-A's are concerned, they are a further source of dissappointment. I've listened to the Beatles "Love" , Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" and an Austrian orchestra's rendition of Beethoven's 7th, without being impressed with the technology. Sure, CD reproduction is good with the ML, but my home burned CD's seem to do the job as well as the 5.1 productions.
The saving grace is found in the DVD Videos, where Terminator 2 was quite impressive.
It is not obvious, but it turns out that the ML system cannot play DVD-A in 5.1 discrete. It is just a basic 2-ch DVD-A player. The only way to hear 5.1 playback is from DVD, as you found work quite well, or you can use your old collection of DTS CDs, too. You'll get better results from the Love album (maybe the others, too) by playing the companion CD that came with it. I use the Surround mode all the time, even though I do not think the front imaging was done optimally.

I was disappointed in the ML sound in other ways, too. One particular aspect was the bloated bass. I found a way to address that, but it was not by means of only adjusting the tone controls. Had to add a new sub amplifier as well. Glad I did, though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272881
Old 12-08-08, 06:26 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought there was a big difference between the ML and non-ML systems. When I purchased my GS the sound system was one of the first things I tested since I wanted a good factory sound system and not have to buy aftermarket parts since I wanted to retain the luxury OEM look. The ML in my opinion shines in the highs and mids, although the lows could be better. And it doesnt distort at higher volumes versus the regular system. I also compared it to my gf's Harman Kardon in her CLS500, and even though it has great lows, the mids and highs dont compare to the ML system. So overall the ML in my opinion is the best system I've heard so far, although I have to agree that the price tag is a bit steep for it.
Old 12-08-08, 06:36 PM
coreyco
Rookie

Originally Posted by DrexLex
It is not obvious, but it turns out that the ML system cannot play DVD-A in 5.1 discrete. It is just a basic 2-ch DVD-A player. The only way to hear 5.1 playback is from DVD, as you found work quite well, or you can use your old collection of DTS CDs, too.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272881
If I understand you correctly, the DVD-A is not recorded in the same format as the 5.1 surround format in the DVD videos, such as Terminator 2. This, then, is the reason why DVD-A's do not have the same audio impact as the videos. So then I assume it is better (and more cost effective) to just purchase (or burn) regular CD's, and play them with the DSP function "ON".
Would this assumption be correct?
Old 12-08-08, 07:18 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coreyco
If I understand you correctly, the DVD-A is not recorded in the same format as the 5.1 surround format in the DVD videos, such as Terminator 2. This, then, is the reason why DVD-A's do not have the same audio impact as the videos.
Correct. DVD-A discs are typically recorded with PCM or lossless compression, with 96 kHz sample rate and 24-bits. DVDs usually use Dolby Digital and sometimes DTS, which are compression systems similar to MP-3 or AAC, although they use higher bitrates. But since the ML system added DVD-A sort of as an afterthought to the core DVD-V player, they did not find a way to connect the head unit to the amp with a digital means that could support 6-ch 96 kHz audio. So it uses the 2-ch analog lines, same as the AM/FM tuners. The CD/DVD-V player uses the digital S/PDIF connection for both 44.1 kHz PCM or 5.1 Dolby or DTS sound.

So then I assume it is better (and more cost effective) to just purchase (or burn) regular CD's, and play them with the DSP function "ON".
Would this assumption be correct?
Yes. The only other source that will give you sonically equal results would be those 5.1 DTS "CDs" that were made several years ago. Pretty rare, though.
Old 12-08-08, 07:54 PM
coreyco
Rookie

Originally Posted by DrexLex
Correct. DVD-A discs are typically recorded with PCM or lossless compression, with 96 kHz sample rate and 24-bits. DVDs usually use Dolby Digital and sometimes DTS, which are compression systems similar to MP-3 or AAC, although they use higher bitrates. But since the ML system added DVD-A sort of as an afterthought to the core DVD-V player, they did not find a way to connect the head unit to the amp with a digital means that could support 6-ch 96 kHz audio. So it uses the 2-ch analog lines, same as the AM/FM tuners. The CD/DVD-V player uses the digital S/PDIF connection for both 44.1 kHz PCM or 5.1 Dolby or DTS sound.

Yes. The only other source that will give you sonically equal results would be those 5.1 DTS "CDs" that were made several years ago. Pretty rare, though.
Since purchasing my GS last month, I thought I had a problem with the ML system, based on its lackluster performance with DVD-A's. I now have a better understanding of its limitations. Thank-you, Drex.
Old 12-31-08, 04:21 PM
marklevins
Driver School Candidate

Default mark levinson and lexus

My name is Mark Levinson, the audio designer. My name as an audio equipment tradename is owned by Harman International. Harman puts my name on whatever they want. The reasons for this are an old story but anyone who is interested is welcome to ask me for details. I have never been associated with Harman or had anything to do with the "Mark Levinson" car sound systems for Lexus. I have noticed that neither Harman nor Lexus make any real effort to tell people this fact. The truth is that Mark Levinson the man (me) has nothing to do with the "Mark Levinson" products of Harman including the Lexus car sound systems. It's a "brand name" of Harman. Anyone who wants to know about my real work in audio can email me at marklevinson@earthlink.net.

Best regards,
Mark
Old 12-31-08, 05:58 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marklevins
My name is Mark Levinson, the audio designer. My name as an audio equipment tradename is owned by Harman International. Harman puts my name on whatever they want. The reasons for this are an old story but anyone who is interested is welcome to ask me for details. I have never been associated with Harman or had anything to do with the "Mark Levinson" car sound systems for Lexus. I have noticed that neither Harman nor Lexus make any real effort to tell people this fact. The truth is that Mark Levinson the man (me) has nothing to do with the "Mark Levinson" products of Harman including the Lexus car sound systems. It's a "brand name" of Harman. Anyone who wants to know about my real work in audio can email me at marklevinson@earthlink.net.

Best regards,
Mark
Hi Mark, welcome to Club Lexus. I was wondering if you had a chance to listen to the Lexus car audio system that bears your name. What is your opinion of them? What would you do differently to improve the quality of the sound system?

Since Harman International owns your trademark name, how do you market the product(s) that you design? Would you be able to tell us what brand you are affiliated with? Thanks.
Old 12-31-08, 06:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
Hi Mark, welcome to Club Lexus. I was wondering if you had a chance to listen to the Lexus car audio system that bears your name. What is your opinion of them? What would you do differently to improve the quality of the sound system?

Since Harman International owns your trademark name, how do you market the product(s) that you design? Would you be able to tell us what brand you are affiliated with? Thanks.
If Mark reads this (I've done some googling on the email address and IP address and think it really may be Mr. Levinson, welcome!) he can respond in more detail.

I haven't read anything about them recently, but know he was active with redrosemusic.com a few years ago.
Old 12-31-08, 07:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by marklevins

Best regards,
Mark
Mr. Levinson,

Welcome to our forum. Is there any chance of actually designing an audio system for our Lexus vehicles or perhaps tuning it to really fit the "Mark Levinson" standard?

Thanks,
Ryan

Quick Reply: Emporer Mark Levinson is not wearing any clothes!