GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Emporer Mark Levinson is not wearing any clothes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 07:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by marklevins
My name is Mark Levinson, the audio designer. My name as an audio equipment tradename is owned by Harman International. Harman puts my name on whatever they want. The reasons for this are an old story but anyone who is interested is welcome to ask me for details. I have never been associated with Harman or had anything to do with the "Mark Levinson" car sound systems for Lexus. I have noticed that neither Harman nor Lexus make any real effort to tell people this fact. The truth is that Mark Levinson the man (me) has nothing to do with the "Mark Levinson" products of Harman including the Lexus car sound systems. It's a "brand name" of Harman. Anyone who wants to know about my real work in audio can email me at marklevinson@earthlink.net.

Best regards,
Mark
Welcome to Clublexus Mr. Levinson!
Old 01-01-09, 07:12 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maying856
I thought there was a big difference between the ML and non-ML systems. When I purchased my GS the sound system was one of the first things I tested since I wanted a good factory sound system and not have to buy aftermarket parts since I wanted to retain the luxury OEM look. The ML in my opinion shines in the highs and mids, although the lows could be better. And it doesnt distort at higher volumes versus the regular system. I also compared it to my gf's Harman Kardon in her CLS500, and even though it has great lows, the mids and highs dont compare to the ML system. So overall the ML in my opinion is the best system I've heard so far, although I have to agree that the price tag is a bit steep for it.
I agree with every word you said!
Old 01-01-09, 07:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Mr. Levinson,

Welcome to our forum. Is there any chance of actually designing an audio system for our Lexus vehicles or perhaps tuning it to really fit the "Mark Levinson" standard?

Thanks,
Ryan
What would you call it?

"The Real Mark Levinson - but I can't call it that because even though I AM Mark Levinson I don't have rights to use my own name!"
Old 02-26-09, 02:14 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What would you call it?

"The Real Mark Levinson - but I can't call it that because even though I AM Mark Levinson I don't have rights to use my own name!"
He calls it Red Rose.

http://www.redrosemusic.com/
Old 02-26-09, 08:04 AM
copa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrexLex
It is not obvious, but it turns out that the ML system cannot play DVD-A in 5.1 discrete. It is just a basic 2-ch DVD-A player.
Holy crap, thank you for explaining this!

I have been banging my head on this for a week! I bought the DVD-A of The Beatle's Love just for playing in my car, and the audio has been disappointing. Meanwhile, my DTS music sounds fantastic.

I could not figure out why uncompressed audio was sounding so much worse than DTS. (Love also tends to expose the weaknesses in the stock sub)

Thank you for saving me money in future DVD-A purchases, but I'm also kind of pissed. I read through all the specs on the Mark Levinson stuff before I bought, and it advertised DVD-A compatibility. It never mentioned anywhere that it was using crippled stereo "DVD-A". This feels like a nasty bait-and-switch.
Old 02-26-09, 12:21 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by copa
Thank you for saving me money in future DVD-A purchases, but I'm also kind of pissed. I read through all the specs on the Mark Levinson stuff before I bought, and it advertised DVD-A compatibility. It never mentioned anywhere that it was using crippled stereo "DVD-A". This feels like a nasty bait-and-switch.
Over the years I've learned that "compatible" only means "sound comes out." No assurance of what quality it is. I fully agree with your feelings about deception.

It stems from the fact that the electrical connections from the head unit to the rear amp are a) 2-ch analog and b) S/PDIF. The analog is used for everything except CD and DVD-V bitstreams (Dolby Digital and DTS). No excuse, just the reality.
Old 02-26-09, 08:15 PM
copa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrexLex
It stems from the fact that the electrical connections from the head unit to the rear amp are a) 2-ch analog and b) S/PDIF. The analog is used for everything except CD and DVD-V bitstreams (Dolby Digital and DTS).
That's very helpful information. So the Lexus iPod connector also does not go through S/PDIF?
Old 02-27-09, 02:15 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by copa
That's very helpful information. So the Lexus iPod connector also does not go through S/PDIF?
No. The audio output of iPod is analog, so it follows the same path to the amp as the AM/FM tuners, 2-ch analog. The A-D is inside the amp to facilitate surround processing and EQ.

In my case I added the VAIS iPod adapter, which works great, but does not sound identical to the CD player, even though I use WAV files. It's very close, though.